• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Anyone have this happen? On March 1 I sent a book, by book rate to a friend in TN. Tracking showed it in Des Moines the next day. That's it. Tracking still shows it in Des Moines. Friend never got it. Never thought to insure it. I'm out over $30. Looks like no recourse.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Try contacting the last place listed on tracking to see if they can find it. Wouldn't be the first time usps lost a package.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good luck. Even with insurance they are sketch. I think it was here even, but I heard a story where they refused to pay out on the insurance because it wasnt actually lost. Sure, they delivered it to the wrong house, but since they delivered it and didnt actually lose it, they said they were not responsible.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Go to the Post Office, there should be a minimum insurance ($50??) on the package. The tracking shows it didn't hit a scanner after Des Moines.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've got 10 Glock 43 mags that have been intransit destined for Bozeman Montana for a year and a half? That was with USPS "priority" mail! Scanned out of Indianapolis, then "poof"!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    NEVER send anything Media Mail.

If it matters enough to ship it, it matters enough for Priority.

Talk to the Postmaster from THIS end, and file a claim.

-Nate

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good luck. Even with insurance they are sketch. I think it was here even, but I heard a story where they refused to pay out on the insurance because it wasnt actually lost. Sure, they delivered it to the wrong house, but since they delivered it and didnt actually lose it, they said they were not responsible.

Spouse had exactly the same experience with Christmas package sent to friends in Florida.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If it was sent book rate, I assume media mail. I'm pretty sure there are no guarantees or insurance on media mail. I didn't think media mail had tracking though so maybe it was sent using a different class of mail?

I agree with starting with the post office that sent it, but I seem to get the best results by calling the 800 number at the USPS site for customer service.

That being said...USPS is the WORST service ever. I have had negative experiences with multiple post office locations in Indiana.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I worked package freight for 20 years.I always put" fragile- medical device "on every package.They are treated with more respect.Never put " fragile- glass".................

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Good luck.
    I NEVER send anything but mail using the USPS, and I cringe whenever I see that somebody sent me a package using the USPS.
    I've had more trouble by FAR than either UPS or even Fedex.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I cringe when I order something and it is shipped UPS and TRANSFERRED to the post office for delivery. If I wanted USPS, I would not have chosen UPS ground shipping for my order.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Overall I've had good experiences with USPS like like any service, they can mess up. Have had plenty of broken items and miss left items form UPS and Fedex as well....and items with signature confirmations from USPS left without getting signed for.

Only scare I've had was when I shipped out a sword. It was in a medium priority flat rate tube which if I remember right is about 3 foot long. Between here and Texas....bam....lost for a week. It didn't magically appear until both I and the recipeint contacted USPS and we both filed a $1300 insurance claim then poof like magic, it reappeared and was delivered 2 days later.

Friend overnighted something to Ohio a couple years ago. It showed up a week later after visiting New York and Illiniois.

They're not perfect by any means......no delivery service is.

Never used media mail though

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Purchasing insurance for any of the shippers; DHL, UPS, FEDEX, USPS ET ALL is just giving free money to the shipping company. Back when I ebay'ed a lot I've dealt with all of them over various claims and never once received payment from them. They all have their standard excuses and stand by them to the death.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I cringe when I order something and it is shipped UPS and TRANSFERRED to the post office for delivery. If I wanted USPS, I would not have chosen UPS ground shipping for my order.

This too.
    The problems I have with USPS have usually been getting delivery of the item from the individual mail carrier person who's SUPPOSED to deliver it to my place.

#1 reason, they're too lazy to get out of the vehicle and bring it to my door.
    Then they LIE and CLAIM they attempted delivery but I wasn't home to receive it, and the ONLY way i even know this is when I check online at the tracking web page.

YET, I was right there and even saw them put letters in my mailbox at the street and drive away without getting out of their vehicle to deliver my package.
    So whenever it's USPS, I have to drop whatever I'm doing, and spend the WHOLE day watching for them, then RUN out the door to flag them down before they drive away

If I don't, then I have to drive down to the Post Office, then stand in front of a door and ring some stupid doorbell until they feel like opening the door and giving me my package.
    On a recent excursion to the Post Office on one of these phony "failed delivery attempts", I even had some idiot COCKILY telling me the address I gave him for my home of nearly 30 years doesn't exist!
    I pointed out to this moron "I've lived at this address almost 30 years. I THINK I know where I live!", which seemed to bring him to his senses, at least for the moment! :D

SURE, through the years, UPS and Fedex have made a FEW mistakes, but nothing even approaching repeatedly and INTENTIONALLY refusing to get out of their vehicle to deliver my package, and then lying about it.
    Honest mistakes I can tolerate.
    (There's very few things I hate in people more than those to tell my lies)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It's sheer numbers, if they(any of them) deliver 1000000 packages a day, and have a 98% success rate, that's still 20000 ****ed up packages?

Top Bottom