• ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Who?

I keep hearing IU honks talk about what an elite program it is, and that IU is a premire coaching destination. But elite programs don't have to settle for the head coach of Dayton.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Who?

I keep hearing IU honks talk about what an elite program it is, and that IU is a premire coaching destination. But elite programs don't have to settle for the head coach of Dayton.

Being only 38, Archie Miller is a hot young coaching prospect, or at least he was. He was courted by several large schools over the past couple of years, but he kept holding out for that elite job. Looks like he's got what he wished for. Personally, I like the hire.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`ve been done with Indiana University ever since they treated Knight the way they did. Knight had his failings, as do we all, but the Administration at IU showed they were completely classless with the way they went about booting Knight. I believe they`ve once again shown how classless they are in the way they treated Coach Crean. No ill will directed towards the new hire directly, but I hope, and I seriously believe that, IU will continue to sink into mediocrity, as a direct result of their practices.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I`ve been done with Indiana University ever since they treated Knight the way they did. Knight had his failings, as do we all, but the Administration at IU showed they were completely classless with the way they went about booting Knight. I believe they`ve once again shown how classless they are in the way they treated Coach Crean. No ill will directed towards the new hire directly, but I hope, and I seriously believe that, IU will continue to sink into mediocrity, as a direct result of their practices.

I have mixed feelings about Coach Knight's dismissal. I think deep down he was a good man, but he had so many flaws that he just couldn't control. I wish it would have ended differently, but unfortunately, the divorce from IU was quite ugly.

As for Coach Crean, any coach knows what they're getting into when they accept a head coaching gig today, especially at a high profile institution like IU. It's win or you're gone. Unfortunately for Coach Crean, he did not win consistently enough, so he finds himself in the position of looking for a new employer. As distasteful as it may be, college basketball is driven by dollar signs these days, and wins equal big bucks.

I take comfort in the fact that Coach Crean had tidy little four million dollar buyout in his contract as well. He won't be using an EBT card any time soon.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I have mixed feelings about Coach Knight's dismissal. I think deep down he was a good man, but he had so many flaws that he just couldn't control. I wish it would have ended differently, but unfortunately, the divorce from IU was quite ugly.

As for Coach Crean, any coach knows what they're getting into when they accept a head coaching gig today, especially at a high profile institution like IU. It's win or you're gone. Unfortunately for Coach Crean, he did not win consistently enough, so he finds himself in the position of looking for a new employer. As distasteful as it may be, college basketball is driven by dollar signs these days, and wins equal big bucks.

I take comfort in the fact that Coach Crean had tidy little four million dollar buyout in his contract as well. He won't be using an EBT card any time soon.

Copy that, Crean will be more than just ok. But as far as Indiana University, their character is lacking. After Knight, they hired a guy who couldn`t coach a playground team, and he ran the mens basketball team like a playground team, they knowingly hired a verified cheat as head coach, then showed Crean the same classless treatment Knight got. Unless they change their ways, i.e., dump the Athletic Directer, they`re destined to keep coming up short, and they deserve it.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Miller seems like a good pick. Good recruiter, likes to play tough defense and run a disciplined offense. Looking forward to see how he does at IU.

It would be nice to see IU get back to being competitive in the upper tier of college basketball again.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just read yesterday it was Donovan... WTH happened?

Sometimes it comes down to dollars and sometimes timing and sometimes both. I don't keep up with IU much. I have no idea if they'd back the bank truck up and pay whatever it takes to get "the guy" or not. Football's a different animal but backing that truck up has worked out OK with Alabama football (even assuming Donovan == Sabin)

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Who?

Being only 38, Archie Miller is a hot young coaching prospect, or at least he was. He was courted by several large schools over the past couple of years, but he kept holding out for that elite job. Looks like he's got what he wished for. Personally, I like the hire.

I have to agree with Dr. Midnight.....Here in SE Indiana we hear about several Div I programs, Xaiver, UC, Miami and UDayton....I will have to say, I am very impressed with Coach Miller...He took a UD program that had been mediocre at best for several years and turned it around. I think he will be a great fit at IU...

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm a Purdue fan, so take this with a grain of salt if you wish, but I think this is a great hire for IU.

My dad was a huge Bob Knight fan, but it is way past time for IU fans to get over him. My daughter is an IU fan because of the influence of my dad. She is 24, and she has never known IU to have a good basketball program. She hopes that some day IU can have a program as good as Wisconsin, seriously, think about that. IU getting an up-and-coming great coach is a home run.

I can remember when people used to argue over whether Bob Knight or Dean Smith was the better coach? I don't know the answer to that if you look at it strictly in terms of on the court results, but I think the programs they left behind are a pretty good indicator of which was the better coach in the overall perspective.

Last edited:

Snipercop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    SS Indianapolis
    Anything better than what we had that couldn't get over the plateau. Time to go to the next level. Archie Miller is a rockstar in the making and an excellent recruiter. There is excellent pedigree in his family. His brother is the coach of Arizona. Remember... Bob Knight's resume wasn't really explosive when he came to IU. Archie Miller will be fine!

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I'm a Purdue fan, so take this with a grain of salt if you wish, but I think this is a great hire for IU.

My dad was a huge Bob Knight fan, but it is way past time for IU fans to get over him. My daughter is an IU fan because of the influence of my dad. She is 24, and she has never known IU to have a good basketball program. She hopes that some day IU can have a program as good as Wisconsin, seriously, think about that. IU getting an up-and-coming great coach is a home run.

I can remember when people used to argue over whether Bob Knight or Dean Smith was the better coach? I don't know the answer to that if you look at it strictly in terms of on the court results, but I think the programs they left behind are a pretty good indicator of which was the better coach in the overall perspective.

You mean the NC program based on a 25 year African American Studies class that never met, gave out Bs to all enrolled, was well known across campus as the Athletic Dept's support system for failing grades, was known to several assistant coaches but Roy Williams has claimed complete ignorance, and has avoided NCAA sanctions for over 10 years while awaiting Williams retirement? Yah, I'd be proud of that program.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    [/B]You mean the NC program based on a 25 year African American Studies class that never met, gave out Bs to all enrolled, was well known across campus as the Athletic Dept's support system for failing grades, was known to several assistant coaches but Roy Williams has claimed complete ignorance, and has avoided NCAA sanctions for over 10 years while awaiting Williams retirement? Yah, I'd be proud of that program.

Agreed. I don`t believe you can base the worth of any coach on what happens to the University after they`ve left, but instead, as you`ve pointed out, what that coach did during their time there, off the court as well as on. Knight could be a jerk, yup. Knight also graduated his players, and was fiercely loyal to them all, even well after they left the program. It`s been difficult to find a man who had much bad to say about Knight, even after they were grown, years removed from Knight and his ability to retaliate. Except for the goon, Isiah Thomas, and if he were alive, Neil Reed. Most fans either love or hate Bobby Knight, and that likely won`t change, but as for his legacy, it`s there, it is what it is, and I feel there`s much more positive to that legacy than negative. In fact, Knight`s legacy, IMO, will be viewed much better than that of Indiana University.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Agreed. I don`t believe you can base the worth of any coach on what happens to the University after they`ve left, but instead, as you`ve pointed out, what that coach did during their time there, off the court as well as on. Knight could be a jerk, yup. Knight also graduated his players, and was fiercely loyal to them all, even well after they left the program. It`s been difficult to find a man who had much bad to say about Knight, even after they were grown, years removed from Knight and his ability to retaliate. Except for the goon, Isiah Thomas, and if he were alive, Neil Reed. Most fans either love or hate Bobby Knight, and that likely won`t change, but as for his legacy, it`s there, it is what it is, and I feel there`s much more positive to that legacy than negative. In fact, Knight`s legacy, IMO, will be viewed much better than that of Indiana University.
    Did Neil Reed die?
    edit: Nevermind, I googled him. I had no idea he had passed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom