Got the motorcycle out today...and had my first wreck.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hello INGO, I thought I'd post this as a way of working through the adrenaline dump.

I bought my first motorcycle in 2014, a sort of "Midlife Crisis" purchase. I had always wanted to ride a motorcycle, but my parents instilled an irrational fear of the machines from early childhood. Finally, at 39, I decided I could make my own decisions about these things, and bought a brand-new Yamaha FZ8.

I still have a healthy fear of these machines, so I took a training course and bought the best gear I could afford. I ride very conservatively.

So, today I got the bike out of storage, filled the tires and the fuel tank, and went for a easy ride around the city. I was on my way back to my house, waiting to turn North onto Lafayette road from Eastbound 56th street. The light turned green (left-turn arrow), and the car in front of me started to accelerate away from the light. I followed suit, and leaned into the turn as I accelerated...

...at just that time another driver decided to pull out of the corner gas station, almost hitting the car in front of me. That car had to perform an emergency evasive stop to avoid a nasty collision. I grabbed a handful of brake, but was already leaned into the corner...and I lost control of the bike and went down (low side).

Fortunately, I was still in the intersection and traveling at relatively low speeds. I managed not to hit the stopped car in front of me, but I ended up rolling over into the street as I came off the bike. Now, I never ride without full protective gear, even though it makes me look like a street-racing douchecanoe, so I was well-protected when I fell.

The aftermath: I have a slightly skinned left knee and a little soreness in my right wrist. The bike was equipped with frame sliders for track-day use, and while the ones on the left side of the bike got chewed up pretty bad, the resulting damage to the bike ended up being negligible: a bent footpeg and a couple of light scratches on the plastics. All told, I was quite fortunate...and I know it.

Looking back on it, the only way I could have avoided it was to give myself a little more room. I will work that into my riding habits going forward.

The best part of the story is the reaction I got from the driver in front of me...she stopped to make sure I was okay, and I think she was more shaken up than me! She kept apologizing and asking me if I was okay...I ended up giver her a hug and telling her there was nothing she could do. I was pleased to see that some people still worry about others.

So, for my fellow riders out there: Stay alert. Be safe. WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!!1!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Glad you're okay brother....Be careful...The older you get the harder the falls are...

I have never owned a motorcycle and never will...They don't scare me...The other people driving do...:)

Seriously glad you're okay and I hope you have a Blessed weekend....Have a little bourbon for those nerves...:)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Glad you're ok Paul. There are 2 kinds of riders. Those that have wrecked and those that will.

Low speed low sides are kinda common. I did one in a parking lot at like 7 mph. Crap happens. (I've also gone over backwards doing a wheelie.)

But the main thing is give yourself space. Always leave yourself an out. Eyes always moving. Ride as if you're got a pound of meth on you and you're looking for cops.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You are not a biker until you get the limp.
    Not IF but When buddy.
    I've had a scooter since I was 9 yrs old and been down a few times.
    Two were bad wrecks and in town.
    A few others were me pushing past the boundaries of physics and common sense.
    I'm older and still hurt from the stupidity.
    I have one HD left that needs put back together but I don't seem to be in a hurry.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Very happy you're safe and the bike only got a few scuffs/badges. That's why it's called protective gear. While it's tough on the really hot days it's still well worth it. I've been riding for a very very long time and still wear all my leathers and brain bucket! I was told in the beginning in you have a $5 head put it in a $5 helmet! I've always worn Fulmer or Bell. (Fulmer with the glasses and Bell with the contacts.) When I see people without a helmet or any protective gear it makes me wonder what they value their lives at.
    Dan

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Glad your not a greasy spot in the middle of the intersection. With that said. If you haven't dropped or crashed your bike it's only because you haven't rode long enough. 9 out 10 crashes is because of cages not paying attention to the road or their surroundings. Every crash has made me a better rider.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You are blessed buddy! Hope the nerves calm down soon, and you know, but you`ll feel the soreness tomorrow. Sad thing is, you can do everything just right, someone else messing up can kill you. Glad you came out alright on this one.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Glad you are ok! Husband had his bike out today, mine needs a new battery- which i just ordered, and I'm not in a hurry to ride just yet. There's still lots of loose sand and gravel on the roads around here.
    Have you read any of David Hough's books? He has a lot of good defensive riding tips. I'm a cautious rider myself. I don't always gear up like I should, i tend to not wear my jacket on hot days. I always wear boots, jeans, gloves eye protection and helmet. To each his own about the helmet, but I can't believe the number of people who feel the need to tell me about it! "You don't need that." "There's no helmet law in this state." "What's that on your head?" Yeah, i know i don't look cool! :)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Glad you are ok! Husband had his bike out today, mine needs a new battery- which i just ordered, and I'm not in a hurry to ride just yet. There's still lots of loose sand and gravel on the roads around here.
    Have you read any of David Hough's books? He has a lot of good defensive riding tips. I'm a cautious rider myself. I don't always gear up like I should, i tend to not wear my jacket on hot days. I always wear boots, jeans, gloves eye protection and helmet. To each his own about the helmet, but I can't believe the number of people who feel the need to tell me about it! "You don't need that." "There's no helmet law in this state." "What's that on your head?" Yeah, i know i don't look cool! :)

As to the gear, I used to wear really heavy jeans while riding. After hitting the pavement hard, it's "made for riding" gear or shorts. I had the Dickies heavy duty work jeans on and they just shreaded. I was only doing about 30 or so when I went over (backwards).

At the ER, they were digging asphalt and denim out of my calf and thighs. Yeah. That sucked. Along with the broken wrist. At least I had my helmet on.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I took the course and got my endorsement last summer. The only other experience I have was my uncle let me use his moped-like motorcycle. (Looks like a moped, can go 60). It interests me and I love how free it feels cruising around on a nice summer day. But when you're at a stop light next to regular cars and trucks, you realize that you're not going to fare well if you do have an accident.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    No fun at all OP. I'm glad you are okay. I had two people pull out in front of me this week with not near-enough room for my tastes. SAME DAY! (one was a young girl with a cell phone stuck in her right ear)
    Although not as much sand down this year at this time. Cager-s are not even ready for us yet this early. Bikes can be repaired or replaced. Bones, Brains, and such are a bit harder to heal/replace. If your helmet even touched the ground, replace it. Ride aware and keep riding!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    No fun at all OP. I'm glad you are okay. I had two people pull out in front of me this week with not near-enough room for my tastes. SAME DAY! (one was a young girl with a cell phone stuck in her right ear)
    Although not as much sand down this year at this time. Cager-s are not even ready for us yet this early. Bikes can be repaired or replaced. Bones, Brains, and such are a bit harder to heal/replace. If your helmet even touched the ground, replace it. Ride aware and keep riding!
    That's a very good point, about replacing the helmet if there's been an impact. :yesway:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I'm glad you are ok.

I've haven't been able to get to where I could break my promise to my Grandmother to not own a motorcycle.

Top Bottom