• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    We've got a screwed up problem. Our kitchen vent is electrified. Are you able to help or know someone who could help pretty quick? this thing is scary. I tested the vent and it's pushing 98 volts. If you stand on the vent barefoot and touch the sink it gives a pretty good shock. It's really strange.

Jason

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    So you're​ talking​ metal floor vent? I would look under the floor and make sure that none of the electrical wires are running across the ductwork, you'll find one of them is probably rubbing against it and has broken through insulation. Turn the power off first because if one is electrified they're all electrified.

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    Shut the breakers off one at a time and test each time you do. Must have a bare wire against the duct work

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    No circuits are constantly tripping. I went down and looked and didn't see any vents laying on the vents. I did see that this vent is only partially connected. But no wires. I've tested the other vents and no others seem to be conducting current. My wife woke me up and told me the sink was electrified. I touched it and touched it and nothing. then I thought maybe standing on the vent and touching it. Wow!! That does it.

Jason

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    good call. We has a new disposal put in a few months ago. We tried the breaker for that area and the shock went away. We flipped it back and ouch!!! We unplugged the disposal and it went away. So, we think it might be the disposal. We have it unplugged for now but are having someone come out tomorrow to look at it. If it's the disposal then hopefully menards will replace it. It's only a few months old.

Jason

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    The disposal I think has a short in it or something. When it's plugged in the sink is electrified. Just touching it does nothing. But then standing on the metal vent and touching the sink grounds us or something and makes a shock. If I unplug the disposal then there is no power going to the sink. It's not on a GFCI. The plumber said it wasn't needed when I asked him.
    Thanks for all your help
    Jason

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Lucky you found it so fast. We had a crane arcing at work, 350 ton capacity.
    Checked crane over and over.
    Finally found a welding machine, half a mile down the track, someone left on, and the leads crossed the track, and were run over.
    The tracks aren't grounded, so the machine didn't trip. They just transferred the power.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How is the disposal playing a role here? Is it on a GFCI?
    I can't recall if that's a requirement or not, but common sense would be that it should be.
    The disposal I think has a short in it or something. When it's plugged in the sink is electrified. Just touching it does nothing. But then standing on the metal vent and touching the sink grounds us or something and makes a shock. If I unplug the disposal then there is no power going to the sink. It's not on a GFCI. The plumber said it wasn't needed when I asked him.
    Thanks for all your help
    Jason
    That should be the last time you use this plumber.

Top Bottom