• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Some friends of mine who are extremely busy have asked me to take their kids to O'Hare terminal 3 to fly out. I'll be dropping the kids off for a 1230 flight April 1st and picking them up from a 1730 flight April 8th.

I'll be driving up that way but a friend suggested to avoid parking hassles and costs at the airport to park outside of Chicago and take the L straight in. That would work for me as I wouldn't have to worry about parking fees at the airport or any driving delays.

The problem is I have never done this and don't know exactly what to look for. I can figure out myself but I'd much rather hear from someone with recent knowledge and experience.

If someone would point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. If there is an easier way that would also be nice.

Thanks,

Doug

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Those are both Saturdays, piece of cake to drive to the airport...Just take the Tristate Tollway and it takes you right to O'Hare...

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    If you are just picking up and dropping off why do you need to park?
    If you need a place to sit and wait, there is an Oasis about 5 minutes from the airport, just post up their until you get the call, no parking fees.
    Parking fees near the train station and the train ride to and from would be more than parking at ohare for less than an hour.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you need a place to sit and wait, there is an Oasis about 5 minutes from the airport, just post up their until you get the call, no parking fees.
    Parking fees near the train station and the train ride to and from would be more than parking at ohare for less than an hour.

I was going to suggest bus. but nojoy is right

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

This.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'll probably be parking for several hours, that is why I asked.

Another friend who has flown out of O'hare says that the security checks can be long. Give about two (2) hours. They probably won't need that much, but just in case I want to make certain.

I have two (2) basic rules with these kids:

#1) They do NOT miss their flight on my account. I don't want their schedule screwed up due to me.
    #2) As they are in my care I will not leave them until they are both on the flight. The odds of something happening are insignificant and I intend to keep it that way.

Both kids are not even 16 yet. Heck, if they were my kids I might well be willing to drop them off on their own. However, they aren't and I don't want to walk away and leave them there.

Basically I'll be at the airport early to make certain that any delays do not interfere with them getting on the right flight AND will be staying with them until they board.

Hopefully I'll be just be there for a couple of hours, then heading out. When I said "dropping off" I didn't mean to imply that it would be the same with children as it would be with adults. Kids I am responsible for will get more than just dumped at the curb.

Thanks again,

Doug

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Doug, honestly I would park and walk them in.

There is a lot that is close to the terminal, if you are there for only about 3-4 hours its probably going to cost the same as parking, buying 3 train tickets and taking in a train. If you are parked for 4-6 hours you will pay a bit more to park close, but you will still save time, grief, effort. And it is a whole lot faster and more convenient.

I go to O'Hare all the time, in fact I'll be there twice next week. I've learned from experience, park close, pay the money. So much less hassle and grief, usually not much more $

You are aware you can't go to the gate with them?

If they are minors he should be able to do so.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point

With minors I think you can take them to the gate, but not 100% on that.

I would still till park at the oasis and just take a cab or uber to the terminal. Probably cost you ten bucks tops.

if you are picking them up at 430, unless you have a magic carpet there is no way you are going to avoid sitting in lots of traffic, so my only suggestion would be make sure you have a full tank of gas and some snacks for the kids!

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Park your car at Terminal 5, take the trolley to terminal 3.

First hour at T 5 is $2. Trolley is free.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

Airlines do issue gate passes, Just ask the counter people they will point out the right direction. It varies from airline to airline.

I have only dealt with United at T1 before, it didn't take much time at all.

Security checks have been improved a lot at o'hare, I flew out on the 12th, only took me 25 minutes. Well that can be different every time.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Take the toll road 294 up north to avoid going through downtown, best 6 bucks you can spend in Chicago.

There are totally 4 tolls, $1.5 each, the very last toll is not attended, you need 6 quarters.

The way down all toll booths are attended.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    100% AGREE on taking the Tollroad. Especially if you have a transponder to pay the tolls automatically (its also cheaper with a transponder).

I go 94 through the city if I know the traffic is not an issue, but that is a time-of-day & road construction issue. 94 is under construction so unless you are going past there on a weekend during off-hours, avoid it.

Picking up at 5:30pm on Saturday April 8 should not put you in super-heavy traffic on your way home as long as you get out of the airport fairly quickly. You will get into a slow spot right at the exit to the airport and its typically heavy for the 3/4th of a mile from the airport to the 294 Southbound ramp. Just stay in the 2nd to right lane and then move into the right lane just before the exit.

I'm not a huge fan of taking the tram between terminals unless I am with people that I don't have to worry about. You'll have 2 kids + luggage. Yes the parking at Terminal 5 (International) is free for an hour, and yes the internal transport system's tram is free, but you still have to go up & down escalators with kids and luggage, wait for the next tram, etc. I've done it many times but I generally avoid it, especially if I am not alone. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd rather park as close to the terminal, save the 10 to 20 minutes of internal transit time, and pay an extra $5 bucks for the ease.

Not sure which airline they are using, but whatever it is you should download their "app" to your smartphone so you can "track" their flights. No need going there early if the flight is delayed.

No need paying for parking at the airport if you can sit at an Oasis during a flight delay if you've already left your house and find out about the delay on your way to the airport. 2 best places to wait, if you have to, the O'Hare Oasis as it is only a few miles outside the airport and/or the "cellphone lot" which is located across from the Long Term Parking Lots on Mannheim just on the edge of the airport, but there is no bathroom, free wi-fi, etc. Its just a parking lot that is very close, and free while, and only worth using if you arrive early and need to wait for the kid's flight to land. If you use either of these because you arrived too early, you can then go to the pay parking just before the flight lands so you don't get dinged excessive parking fees.

Sorry I can't give you estimated wait times at security, I have TSA Pre-Check and my wife has a Trusted Traveller Number so we get to skip the lines and do the express security. My daughter doesn't have either, but she's never missed a flight and flies out of O'Hare half a dozen times each year. Usually get her to the airport 90 to 120 minutes before her departure, usually she is bored in the terminal waiting at the gate. But that obviously depends on flight time, gates, etc.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You can also pay the tolls online. But you'd need to write down which ones you blow through.
    I've done that when they first went up, and I didn't realize I was blowing through them.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

It is my understanding that an adult used to be able to go to the gate with an unaccompanied minor. However, I will review before arriving.

Doug, honestly I would park and walk them in.

There is a lot that is close to the terminal, if you are there for only about 3-4 hours its probably going to cost the same as parking, buying 3 train tickets and taking in a train. If you are parked for 4-6 hours you will pay a bit more to park close, but you will still save time, grief, effort. And it is a whole lot faster and more convenient.

I go to O'Hare all the time, in fact I'll be there twice next week. I've learned from experience, park close, pay the money. So much less hassle and grief, usually not much more $

If they are minors he should be able to do so.

That sounds reasonable.

With minors I think you can take them to the gate, but not 100% on that.

I would still till park at the oasis and just take a cab or uber to the terminal. Probably cost you ten bucks tops.

if you are picking them up at 430, unless you have a magic carpet there is no way you are going to avoid sitting in lots of traffic, so my only suggestion would be make sure you have a full tank of gas and some snacks for the kids!

I like the snacks idea, thanks! Yeah, Saturday the 8th is the first week of spring break for Chicago schools. Snacks are a wonderful idea.

Park your car at Terminal 5, take the trolley to terminal 3.

First hour at T 5 is $2. Trolley is free.

I will look at this idea, thanks.

Take the toll road 294 up north to avoid going through downtown, best 6 bucks you can spend in Chicago.

There are totally 4 tolls, $1.5 each, the very last toll is not attended, you need 6 quarters.

The way down all toll booths are attended.

I was thinking of Hwy 30 to 65 to 94 to 294. I will bring mucho quarters.

100% AGREE on taking the Tollroad. Especially if you have a transponder to pay the tolls automatically (its also cheaper with a transponder).

I go 94 through the city if I know the traffic is not an issue, but that is a time-of-day & road construction issue. 94 is under construction so unless you are going past there on a weekend during off-hours, avoid it.

Picking up at 5:30pm on Saturday April 8 should not put you in super-heavy traffic on your way home as long as you get out of the airport fairly quickly. You will get into a slow spot right at the exit to the airport and its typically heavy for the 3/4th of a mile from the airport to the 294 Southbound ramp. Just stay in the 2nd to right lane and then move into the right lane just before the exit.

I'm not a huge fan of taking the tram between terminals unless I am with people that I don't have to worry about. You'll have 2 kids + luggage. Yes the parking at Terminal 5 (International) is free for an hour, and yes the internal transport system's tram is free, but you still have to go up & down escalators with kids and luggage, wait for the next tram, etc. I've done it many times but I generally avoid it, especially if I am not alone. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd rather park as close to the terminal, save the 10 to 20 minutes of internal transit time, and pay an extra $5 bucks for the ease.

Not sure which airline they are using, but whatever it is you should download their "app" to your smartphone so you can "track" their flights. No need going there early if the flight is delayed.

No need paying for parking at the airport if you can sit at an Oasis during a flight delay if you've already left your house and find out about the delay on your way to the airport. 2 best places to wait, if you have to, the O'Hare Oasis as it is only a few miles outside the airport and/or the "cellphone lot" which is located across from the Long Term Parking Lots on Mannheim just on the edge of the airport, but there is no bathroom, free wi-fi, etc. Its just a parking lot that is very close, and free while, and only worth using if you arrive early and need to wait for the kid's flight to land. If you use either of these because you arrived too early, you can then go to the pay parking just before the flight lands so you don't get dinged excessive parking fees.

Sorry I can't give you estimated wait times at security, I have TSA Pre-Check and my wife has a Trusted Traveller Number so we get to skip the lines and do the express security. My daughter doesn't have either, but she's never missed a flight and flies out of O'Hare half a dozen times each year. Usually get her to the airport 90 to 120 minutes before her departure, usually she is bored in the terminal waiting at the gate. But that obviously depends on flight time, gates, etc.

Thanks for all the info. I'll be talking to their folks about the luggage issue so I can plan.

Is this "oasis" thingy marked? I might do that, but on their return trip I only want to arrive about 15 minutes early. It is their departure that concerns me the most.

I see the "cell phone" lot on google maps.

As posted above, I was thinking of using 94 on a mid Saturday morning. Would you advise against this?

Thanks again,

Doug

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yes the Oasis's are marked, they are pretty hard to miss as there are signs a few miles in advance. From the Indiana state line there are several of them. Chicago South Oasis, a few miles inside the IL state line is the first you get to. The 2nd will be the Hinsdale Oasis, its about 1/2 to the airport. Then just a couple miles south of the airport is the O'Hare Oasis. All 3 are buildings that are built over the top of the Tollroad, you can exit into their parking lots without paying a toll to get into them or get back onto the road. All 3 have food shops and public restrooms. Restrooms are usually kept very clean (at least at Hinsdale and O'Hare) Great bathroom breaks on the way home, especially if you encounter unanticipated traffic. All of them have Starbucks, McDonalds, Panda Express, Subway, etc. Our high school fencing team goes to Wisconsin & various towns on the far north side of Chicago nearly a dozen times a year, we typically stop at the Hinsdale Oasis and I've never seen the bathroom dirty/gross.

As for taking 94 through the city on mid-Saturday morning, its a reasonably safe bet if you want to avoid the toll fees. However I typically check the GPS live traffic reports and/or WBBM 780 AM Radio Station for traffic, they have traffic reports every 10 minutes or so.

As for bringing QUARTERS to pay for tolls, every toll plaza except the last one at the airport, has booths that are staffed by a human who will gladly make change for you. No need to break the kids piggy banks to bring a sack of quarters. Just bring enough for the last toll booth.

As for taking a minor directly to the gate, yes you can. I'm not sure how, but yes it is possible. We had our 15 year old Goddaughter meet us in Spain last year. Her mom took her to OHare, went with her all the way to the gate. There must be some sort of procedure that you need to follow to get through security, you should look into it in advance of arriving at the airport.

Top Bottom