• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    [video=youtube;Uu49lRx1Xf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu49lRx1Xf0[/video]

On a similar note;

We rescued a Great Horned owl about 15 years ago. He appeared on morning right next to where 2 families were camping on my friends farm. Not typical behavior.

Grabbed a quick portrait;

kb1bmjpp_zpse2ypctd3.jpg

Fed him some chicken;

feedin_zpsxlf3hrdr.jpg

Called local rescue center, but no one was available to pick him up. So I distracted him while my buddy snuck up from behind and got a box over him. I took him to the center. He had West Nile virus, but since it was early, they were able to save him. They called me about a month later to pick him up for release.

release_zps4jmd6z7k.jpg

After jumping out of the box, he flew up into a nearby tree. He sat there a couple minutes looking around the area. He then turned around to look at us for a few seconds, then he flew off into the woods. It was pretty cool.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I saw that vid some years ago, and it really warmed my heart that he went to so much trouble to finally free the owl.
    You totally kick ass for having kept one more Great Horned owl alive.
    All wild animals are terrific, but raptors are particularly cool, especially when you get to play a part in keeping them alive.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Owls are fun to watch until they lite in the tree above your deer stand and crap on you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As much time as I spend in the woods and as frequently as I hear them I almost never see them. I hate it as I think they're one of the coolest critters we have here in Indiana.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Owls are so interesting! We have a little patch of woods behind our house. Last fall we had two great horned owls probably within 50 yards of the house. One night I just about shut the bedroom windows - they were "a-hootin' for an hour or so. It was pretty neat though...Maybe this spring the two will be back...I'd like to figure out where the nest tree is located.

...Seems like as I get older it's nice to sit quietly on the back deck and watch the woods. Turn the TV and computers off. Maybe read a book. The sound of the owl seems appropriate......

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Owls are fun to watch until they lite in the tree above your deer stand and crap on you.
    Or when a screech owl decides to roost in a bush outside your bedroom window. No dignified "hootie who" call. It sounds like rusty brakes on a bus and it doesn't take a break all night.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Or when a screech owl decides to roost in a bush outside your bedroom window. No dignified "hootie who" call. It sounds like rusty brakes on a bus and it doesn't take a break all night.

https://youtu.be/mZBD2JbL7Q8

On a more serious note, we've got a pretty good variety up in Pop's woods. I love it when a big boy perches nearby and helps me watch for awhile. They're pretty majestic, and can "thread the needle " in the most dense undercanopy just flicking a wingtip this way or that, rarely actually flapping a wing. It's something to see up close.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As much time as I spend in the woods and as frequently as I hear them I almost never see them. I hate it as I think they're one of the coolest critters we have here in Indiana.

Me too.

I have an owl or two that live out in the woods we own. I have heard them on many nights but over the years I have NEVER seen one.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    You had me confused about what "Wildfire" had to do with this. Luckily I listened long enough to hear the line about the owl. Hopefully my screech owl isn't an omen of death.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I just saw a video on Facebook of a guy releasing a wolf from a leg hold trap.:n00b:

Didn't look like fun to me.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We got a Barred owl that hangs out in the holler behind our place in Perry County...Every now and again I can get him to "Who cooks for you?" back at me...

My wife grew up in LA and whenever I do that I look over at her and say, "I bet growing up in the big city you never thought you'd one day be married to Tarzan huh?"

"More like Doctor Doolittle..."

"But Doctor Doolittle is not cool..."

"I stand by my statement..."

It is fun though...The Horned Owl lives down the holler a bit but due to the cliff walls and the way sound travels we can usually hear him as well but he rarely answers back...

Top Bottom