• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Is the Museum of Science and Industry worth visiting, without all of the expensive upgrades like the submarine, and coal mine?

Heading up that way Friday, but the tickets get expensive in a hurry with the add-ons.

Thanks,

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I haven't been there in a long time. But it is always cool. They do rape you on just about everything though. Parking is like $25.

If you are taking someone who has never been there before, I'd say do all you can afford.

We his the Shedd last year with all of the upgrades and it was really cool.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The coal mine, you can skip, but the submarine is absolutely worth it. Spend the $$.

My family loves the MSI. Do it.

I would have suggested an excursion to Moo and Oink up Stony Island to score a bucket of chitlins, but it's not there any more.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Thanks, we've been to the Field Museum, and the Shedd Aquarium, but never the MSI, since it is farther away from downtown then the rest.

I'm pretty sure the South Shore Line stops in the vicinity, so we plan on riding it up.

Guess we'll play the upgrades by ear, since we are going up with another family; if we do the upgrades, I'll push for the sub.

Thanks again,

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The coal mine, you can skip, but the submarine is absolutely worth it. Spend the $$.

I vividly remember the sub from when my dad took me. Always do the sub as it gives kids a true appreciation of the bravery of men who close a hatch and go underwater.

I remember the coal mine from when I was a kid too. Never went to the mine again.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Just took my two daughters yesterday 5 and 11 we did the sub and the Lego exhibit.

Sub is short but awesome alot of cool stuff to look at around it....

Lego was cool my little one loves Legos so she enjoyed it. Really just a bunch of large Lego models of famous buildings couple fun areas they can build stuff.

The rest of the time did all the regular stuff there's a ton of stuff there we stayed or about 6 hours did not see everything.

Food holy crap food it was pretty good but 77$ for 4 of us to eat.

For anyone parking if you get there and can find a spot on the lake side in the little lot it's only 16$.

Also we got there right at opening and the submarine was almost sold out so you can buy tickets online the day before or even same day. and you get a couple dollars off.

Not sure where you work but some employers get corporate discounts here's a link.

Corporate Membership Benefits - Museum of Science and Industry

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Museum food is my pet peeve of pet peeves.

I'll tell you what though I ate a foot long Chicago dog and for 10$ it wasn't to bad problem is the drinks then of course the girls saw the dirt pudding with gummy worms bblah blah blah.

Luckily my work gets a discount so for the four of us with the 2 extra exhibits it was 94$ didn't think that was to terrible.

Also got a pretty sweet bronze submarine pencil sharpener in the giftshop for $5.99 looks sweet on the shelf in my den.

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Have thought about going but concerned about becoming a crime victim. Any suggested routes from NWI to there without having to go through a free fire zone?

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I worked at MSI from 1993 to 2002. It was pretty cool because I got to see how things work behind the scenes. Man did the prices jump up.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Have thought about going but concerned about becoming a crime victim. Any suggested routes from NWI to there without having to go through a free fire zone?
    Truthfully, since they moved south shore drive east, you avoid the worst of it. We usually go that way. And most of what you still drive through is becoming gentrified.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Skip the coal mine, do not miss the sub. The sub will give you a whole new perspective on claustrophobia. Dudes that manned the sub were hard-core in my book. The entire museum is well worth it.

Dirty Steve

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Thanks for all the opinions, we are going up Friday, we'll be on foot, so hopefully it doesn't rain all day, and we won't be eating at the museum; got to have Chicago deep dish pizza.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We took the south shore in to town from Chesterton IN. You walk about a block in 'look over your shoulder' neighborhood...but then you're in the ritzy area. Can't recall how expensive the South Shore was....but it does let you off RIGHT THERE.

We loved the sub...didn't realize it cost extra when we went 3-4 yrs ago. Daughter loved riding the train. There is a Zephyr train inside the main entrance that is very neat(why can't they do that cool stuff anymore with trains.)

Anyway, well worth the trip. We'll probably go back some time...not sure when.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Pizza Capri on 53rd street is my pick for best pizza in the area. Giordanos is the nearest tourist trap pizza if you want to go somewhere that everyone has heard of. I think the quickest way is to take 94 to Stoney Island and take it all the way north. The least amount of time in the hood is to take 55th/Marquette Blvd.

Top Bottom