Looking for a hard tonneau cover for a truck, and opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I know INGO is always full of good info and opinions so here goes!

Truck is a 2015 Ram 2500. I want a tonneau cover for it, and I think I've decided but I want to know a few thing, like does anyone have experience with what I'm looking at, or any others for that matter.

Anyway over the years I've had trucks with a soft snap on tonneau (don't want that), and then I've had a couple of trucks with hard fiberglass one piece covers. Those are great, but they don't make it very easy to haul stuff with any height, which leads me to a hard retracting or folding cover.

Right now I've semi-settled on a Bakflip MX4. It's a hard folding cover, that will actually fold up all of the way against the rear window of the truck opening up 99% of the bed.

So the only bad things I've hard about these is they aren't 100% water proof. I can deal with that I think, and they are pretty secure, especially considering the tailgate of the truck locks.

So, there are tons of retracting and folding covers out there. What do you guys think??

thanks!
    clay

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I just bought a tri-fold cover for my F150 and am really impressed. It's made by American Tonneau and so far it's been 100% waterproof. I've even drove through some pretty heavy rain. It came with a free seal for around the tailgate too. They also offered free overnight shipping. It instaled in about 10 to 15 minutes and un-installs just as quickly or quicker. This is it and the company I ordered from...
    American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover - SHIPS FREE

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    thanks guys! good info....... except now I'm thinking about different covers after I thought I had it all figured out ;)

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I had the Bakflip VP which seemed great for about 6 months then the aluminum started to delaminate and the cover started to sag. It was under warranty so after a couple of emails to Bakflip they offered to replace it with the MX4 which I gladly accepted. It's been about 5 or 6 months and so far it is great. It lets in just a little bit of water around the perimeter but not enough for me to worry about. It is very nice that the tailgate can be opened and closed with the cover shut, something the VP cover couldn't do because of the tailgate seal.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have a Bakflip on my 2009 Ram 2500. I'm not sure what model it is. I bought it off a guy who had it replaced due to hail damage. It leaks around the tailgate (seal needs re-glued/replaced) and sometimes the drain tubes up by the cab come off, and it gets a little wet there. I could place some hose clamps on the tubes and replace the seal, but it doesn't really bother me, so I just leave it alone.

I've had it for about 4 years now (not sure on previous owner), and I would not hesitate to purchase another one if I ever get a new truck.

Yes, I use the top to haul our fishing boats.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ9QtXdjp3w/?taken-by=streamerx2

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well I'm about to pull the trigger on an Undercover Ultra Flex.......... anyone have any opinions before I do?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the ultra flex is basically the same as the bakflip. I was sold on the bakflip MX4, but the ultra flex has a couple of things about it I like better.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    well I'm about to pull the trigger on an Undercover Ultra Flex.......... anyone have any opinions before I do?

i had one, two actually, because they replaced the first one because it leaked. The replacement leaked just as badly. They finally replaced it with an Undercover Lux, and I love it. The color matches my truck EXACTLY, and all cargo is dry as a bone. It also looks great to boot. It removes easily (although it is a bit too heavy for my wife) for the times that I need to cary something large. Everyone I know that has purchased a folding or retractabke cover has eventualky had leaking problems with theirs. I would never go with anything other than a one piece hard cover.

LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    I had a Roll n Lock on my Dodge. Aluminum slats covered in vinyl .... My truck locks the tailgate from the key fob and made it very secure.. It can be stopped at serval distances depending on what you haul..
    Down side was little Pricey and I never considered snow and ice.. but if garage kept. it was great . and dry .

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    i had one, two actually, because they replaced the first one because it leaked. The replacement leaked just as badly. They finally replaced it with an Undercover Lux, and I love it. The color matches my truck EXACTLY, and all cargo is dry as a bone. It also looks great to boot. It removes easily (although it is a bit too heavy for my wife) for the times that I need to cary something large. Everyone I know that has purchased a folding or retractabke cover has eventualky had leaking problems with theirs. I would never go with anything other than a one piece hard cover.

I've had a couple of trucks with hard covers like the Lux and they were awesome!! I know I'm giving up some weatherproofing, but I'm at a point where I haul a lot with the truck and would be taking the cover off of the truck pretty often, so that's why I abandoned the though of a one piece cover.

I had a Roll n Lock on my Dodge. Aluminum slats covered in vinyl .... My truck locks the tailgate from the key fob and made it very secure.. It can be stopped at serval distances depending on what you haul..
    Down side was little Pricey and I never considered snow and ice.. but if garage kept. it was great . and dry .

another good option! thanks!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My dad had a Leer on his truck, high quality and pricey. The downside with it was hauling anything that wouldn't fit under it. I think one of the covers like you're talking about the opens mid-bed would be more user friendly. Advantages and disadvantages to both types.

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    My dad had a Leer on his truck, high quality and pricey. The downside with it was hauling anything that wouldn't fit under it. I think one of the covers like you're talking about the opens mid-bed would be more user friendly. Advantages and disadvantages to both types.

i have a leer. Its a Love hate relationship. Previous owner had bed rhino lined and put the cover on. he was in contruction and hauled a lot of tools.
    I love the look but hate it when I need to haul anythin big. I usuallly grab a trailer if I have to haul anything big.

EAC13518-B135-4A7F-9C4D-BD6F01D01378.jpg

Top Bottom