• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    This must have freaked them out! At least it was a rental...

Family suffers minor injuries after turkey hits SUV - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Think it was in flight or what?

turkey.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It probably flew up in front of the car. I had one do it once, but it glanced off of the antenna and didn't do any damage. My son hit one and it took out his front fender. They are moving a lot more right now. I hadn't seen any for several months and looked out window yesterday to see 20 of them in the yard. I see them along the roads here on a daily basis.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    New windshield and a few hours cleaning the interior is still cheaper than paying for an out of state hunting license. Hmmmm, I may have to rethink my Kentucky hunting strategy.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just saw this in the paper. And a rental car too boot. That sucks!

I have missed hitting a few here over the years. There is a flock of them north of here I see several times a year run/fly cross the road. Looks like most of the time it's a Tom chasing the ladies around.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It probably flew up in front of the car. I had one do it once, but it glanced off of the antenna and didn't do any damage. My son hit one and it took out his front fender. They are moving a lot more right now. I hadn't seen any for several months and looked out window yesterday to see 20 of them in the yard. I see them along the roads here on a daily basis.

It's "love makin' season" ... so lots of love-crazed gobblers going out doing stupid stuff, just like love-crazed bucks go out and do stupid stuff in the fall.

For the last 2 weeks I've been hearing the gobblers in every direction from me at all hours of the day...

ETA, a few years ago I witnessed a similar collision except it didn't "embed" in the car, still hit very hard. It looked like somebody placed tannerite into a full-body sized feather pillow. A giant explosion of feathers all over the highway...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That nearly happened to me about ten years ago, when I was driving my service truck through western Kentucky.
    Two or three of them swooped in low in a curving flight mere feet in front of my windshield, close enough that I got on the brakes to avoid a strike.
    Too bad that big gobbler won't be fit to eat.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    That nearly happened to me about ten years ago, when I was driving my service truck through western Kentucky.
    Two or three of them swooped in low in a curving flight mere feet in front of my windshield, close enough that I got on the brakes to avoid a strike.
    Too bad that big gobbler won't be fit to eat.

The legs weren't fit to eat b4 they hit it.
    DNR wants too much $ to hunt those big chickens.

Glad y'all enjoy it. Just not in my budget.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I drove past a field this morning that had at least 60 turkeys in it. Toms were all out there strutting around for the girls...looking all hot and sexy for them. :):

I saw one run across the road so slowed down expecting more, but apparently he was the last one in the bunch.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I drove past a field this morning that had at least 60 turkeys in it. Toms were all out there strutting around for the girls...looking all hot and sexy for them. :):

I saw one run across the road so slowed down expecting more, but apparently he was the last one in the bunch.

The GF and I visited a small, animal sanctuary while visiting family in Oklahoma a couple of years ago. In one of the pens they had a pair of wild turkeys (NOT the drinking kind), she was standing by the enclosure looking at the birds and as I walked up the Tom ruffled his feathers up in a territorial display I guess. As soon as I walked away he calmed down and went about his business. I approached the pen several times and each time he reared up at me. Apparently to some animals it doesn't matter same species or not "Stay the hell away from my woman" is a universal message!:laugh:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    A guy I used to work with had one go through his windshield. It looked like someone threw a bowling ball through it. He was late and during the meeting the boss asked if anyone had heard from him because he was never late, never missed. About 10 minutes later he comes walking in covered in glass, feathers, and blood. The inside of his car looked like a poultry slaughterhouse, he got lucky if it had hit a foot farther over he would have been messed up. We found turkey parts in the backseat, the ledge under the back window, etc. but it was mostly intact when he tossed it out.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ladies and gentleman, we have a hat trick!

View attachment 54423

3 turkeys in 3 days and 2 of them were trooper... I don't want to jump to conclusions but it seems that maybe turkeys have a thing for State Troopers...
    ETA, they're gobbling hard down here... that's all I heard today and I watched the biggest tom I've ever seen strut his stuff out in the field for at least an hour today. I even heard 2 (or more) gobblers going to town on each-other.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom