• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I am half way there to just going ahead with this, but I am still trying to figure out if it would be for me.

Also, the jobs that are offered, I am wondering what the best for me would be. The ones that I am looking into are - the nuclear program, Navy corpsman, or master at arms.

What is it that you did? Any help will be appreciated.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I was an Electronic Technician. I tested for the Nuclear program and was accepted but I chose not to do it because of the amount of schooling involved. The school was at that time and may still be in Orlando which is nice. Orlando is where I went to boot camp and had my first Electronics classes. I can tell you this, the Navy has very good schools.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I did a hitch in the '70s. Bootcamp and EM-A school at the Lakes then USS Jonas Ingram (DD-938) (which (sigh) is now a reef off the Jersey coast). I also qualified for nuke school, but back then that almost guaranteed sub duty and I like to see the sun.
    The most important thing to remember is that you'll get out of the Navy just what you put into it ( and to dress warmly when you stand your first mail buoy watch).

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I did a hitch in the '70s. Bootcamp and EM-A school at the Lakes then USS Jonas Ingram (DD-938) (which (sigh) is now a reef off the Jersey coast). I also qualified for nuke school, but back then that almost guaranteed sub duty and I like to see the sun.
    The most important thing to remember is that you'll get out of the Navy just what you put into it ( and to dress warmly when you stand your first mail buoy watch).

My ship was the USS Marvin Shields FF1066 and it is now a part of the Mexican Navy.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I was in from 1981 to 1989.
    I was home ported in San Diego and I went on a West Pac Cruise that took us to Hawaii, Pago Pago, both Coasts of Australia, Diego Garcia,the Indian Ocean, off the coast of Iran, and to The Philippines.
    I was also at for different periods of time:
    Orlando, FL (Boot Camp and Basic Electricity& Electronics)
    Great Lakes, IL (Electronics A School) Both as a Student(9 Mos) and as an Instructor (3years)
    Long Beach, Ca (Ship in dry dock)
    Norfolk Va (C school)
    I went to Hawaii 5 times and have been in ports, of most major and some minor cities, up the west coast.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Cool. I was an east coast squid. Home ported at Mayport Fl. Did a couple of Med cruises (Gibralter, Naples Haifa, etc.), most of the major east coast ports and P.R., then finished up in the yards at Charleston.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Cool. I was an east coast squid. Home ported at Mayport Fl. Did a couple of Med cruises (Gibralter, Naples Haifa, etc.), most of the major east coast ports and P.R., then finished up in the yards at Charleston.

I think a question that whiskeytangofoxtrot might like answered is:
    If you had it to do over again would you have joined the Navy?

I can say, Yes I would have and view everything I learned as invaluable and has made me who I am today.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    WTF, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't hesitate a minute to join. I won't wax maudlin about what the Navy did for me and means to me, but I'll just say that I am what I am because of the Navy.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Ok, then before I head back up to talk about heading to get my physical today, what jobs do you guys think are the best? I'm still up in the air on this decision.
    That will depend on you. What I would look for is....
    Am I interested in the job?
    Is it something I want to spend years doing?
    Does it have a Civilain equalivant.( No use getting a Gunners Mate job working on 5" guns if you can't do that when you get out of the Navy)
    Has your recruiter showed you a listing of all job types?
    I'm not sure its one job is better than another because each person will be different. Go with what you feel is right.

Top Bottom