• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I am going to the Gulf Shores of Alabama in 2 weeks. Is there any place on the way there I should stop and visit? What is a must see or to do item while I am there?

Any great "off the beaten path" restaurants I should try?

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Been there several times. Go to Fort Morgan, really great trip. The evening dolphin tour is fun.

Eat at Docs, there are 2 locations. Also the Tin Roof is good.

Have a good time!

Don

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Lambert's Cafe is an awesome family restaurant. They are famous for the "throwed rolls". Food is outstanding too. It is actually just north in Foley. I have been there the past two years for an archery tournament. I hear there is awesome seafood places in Gulf Shores. My buddy I travel with doesn't like seasfood so we haven'tdriven down there. I also heard people going to the "Hangout".

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Lambert's Cafe is an awesome family restaurant. They are famous for the "throwed rolls". Food is outstanding too. It is actually just north in Foley. I have been there the past two years for an archery tournament. I hear there is awesome seafood places in Gulf Shores. My buddy I travel with doesn't like seasfood so we haven'tdriven down there. I also heard people going to the "Hangout".
    Get to Lamberts 45minutes before they open to avoid waiting over an hour or four in line. It's not worth waiting more than 1 hour in my opinion.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Check out the USS Alabama while you're there, take good shoes and go thru the WHOLE thing. If you're a Buffett fan his sister has a restaurant; LULU'S, on the intercoastal. Fort Morgan will be nice this time of year. Take the ferry across the bay and come back around from the other side of Mobile, this will bring you to the Alabama.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Pensacola naval air station....To eat, Live BAIT, Ribs n REDS .....on the way down swing by Huntsville Alabama, the NASA camp there is neet

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Shrimp Basket.

I think there are 3 of them, but at least one is on Perdido Key near Gulf Shores. It's all you can eat something every day. Some days its shrimp, some fish, etc. The sides are all you can eat as well. Best potato salad I've ever had.

If you've got kids of the right age, take a pirate cruise. Dolphin cruises are fun, too.

Oh, and if you do get to Penscola, check out McGuire's Irish Pub. It's family friendly, good food, and a fun atmosphere: http://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/02/the-million-dollar-mcguire-irish-pub.html

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Shrimp Basket.

I think there are 3 of them, but at least one is on Perdido Key near Gulf Shores. It's all you can eat something every day. Some days its shrimp, some fish, etc. The sides are all you can eat as well. Best potato salad I've ever had.

If you've got kids of the right age, take a pirate cruise. Dolphin cruises are fun, too.

Oh, and if you do get to Penscola, check out McGuire's Irish Pub. It's family friendly, good food, and a fun atmosphere: The Million Dollar McGuire's Irish Pub | Amusing Planet

Both of these! The Shrimp Basket is a great cheap lunch place to eat your fill. As for McGuire's, I love seafood and when I'm visiting the coast I try to get seafood almost every meal but I make an exception for McGuire's. Don't get me wrong, they have good seafood options but their shepherd's pie and especially their Jameson pork chops are out of this world.

If you like seafood be sure to stop by Joe Patti's and fill a cooler to bring home. Be sure to try the royal red shrimp which they will also steam for you while you wait. If you like sushi, the sushi shop in Joe P's is great, especially the volcano roll. Lastly, be sure to pick up an order of beignets as you leave.

The Fish House is also very good for seafood and sushi(try the Bulgarian roll!).

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Well, all my recommendations have been taken. So I second PNS, McGuires, and Lamberts. If you hit PNS, go to Fort Barrancas. It is really neat. Ft. Pickens is also cool, but I don't know how much of it is left. It was buried under sand when I left Pcola.

Also, I hear there is a good church in Pascagaula...

[video=youtube;K16fG1sDagU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU[/video]

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    There's a BBQ joint on the West side of US 231 in Dothan, AL that will make your mouth water twice! I can't remember the name of it, but it was the only one on the west side of 231.
    Great BBQ, interesting and friendly custmers and just what you need on a road trip to the Redneck Riviera!

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Lamberts restaurant..........

If the Blue Angels are practising absolutely go check that out. Leave way, way early though to get seats. After that go to the naval museum. All for free by the way, yes free.

Top Bottom