• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been drinking my coffee out of a Keurig. I usually just buy Folger's Classic roast or the Black silk. I'd like to venture out to other brands and maybe a different way to make my coffee.

So, learn me. What's the best coffee? What's the best, and easy, way to make coffee? I don't want to get too fancy.

I've also just heard about the Black Rifle Coffee. Anyone try that?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Keurig coffee isn't great. I have one in my office, and I use it 3 - 4 days per week, but I will still admit that it's not excellent coffee. It's just incredibly convenient.

I actually prefer drip coffee over the "fancy" ways to make it (French press, etc,) or the drinks coffee shops mix up.

Out of the Keurig, I prefer the Newman's Own. From the drip machine, we always try to bring back as much as possible (30+ pounds) when we visit Latin America.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Jamaican Blue Mountain is the best coffee. I still have not found anything better than the old percolator I inherited from my mother-in-law. The drip method cannot come near the flavor of the old percolators.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I grind beans from Black Rifle Coffee Company. Some are better than others, but it is all excellent coffee. Auto drip machines do ok with it but I prefer the French press or aero press to really bring out the flavor. The two I usually get are CAF and Blackbeards Deight.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Keurig coffee isn't great. I have one in my office, and I use it 3 - 4 days per week, but I will still admit that it's not excellent coffee. It's just incredibly convenient.

DITTO

I have one down in our family room. Can't recall the last time it was used. I upgraded to a real espresso machine. Much happier with the flavor. Also have an old fashioned percolator and a drip maker.

The percolator gets used every day. Drip maker frequently. Espresso machine a couple days a week. Keurig has been demoted to a couple times a year.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A) No dark roasts. That's an over-roasting of the beans.

B) A nice fine grind and use a French Press.

C) Coffee purists will cold brew and remove all bitterness from the coffee. Add hot water to the "base" and you've got coffee.

I'm partial to Kona gold for my french press. Put it's spendy. For my fauxspresso machine I have at home, I use cheap Bustello espresso-grind coffee with decent success.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    We buy eight o'clock columbian and grind it ourselves. We use the keurig, drip, or some fancy thing that slow drips overnight. It all tastes the same to me.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I work for an airline and our planes are made by Embraer in Brazil. When we took delivery of 20 new planes in 2015, our QC guys would bring me back this:

41eFTn96z4L.jpg

Good stuff, I finally ran out and am missing it. You can buy it on Amazon for about $10 a bag, but we paid only a couple of bucks each when they brought it back. I called them "my mules" because they always brought coffee back for me. One said he had to smuggle it in some unnamed cavity... knowing him, he did just to mess with me further. I work with monkeys...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've been doing this

2-22-16-Crio-Bru-056.jpg

for a while. Really good stuff. It's roasted and gound cocoa beans. Yep. Real hot chocolate.

I mix it 50/50 with a good strong coffee. I'm not that particular about one brand or another. Folgers works for me.

I also add real irish butter instead of cream. It's heavenly.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    For the Keurig my wife buys Tim Hortons single cups. Actually tastes like coffee. For the quick on the go cup I recommend. It's pretty good.

Think she buys an 80 count box from bed, bath, and beyond:dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I did the whole bean, grind it at home, French press bit. I didn't find that added enough to the taste to justify the extra time and trouble. That is just me of course. I recently tried the Black Rifle and it was good in 3/4 blends that came in their sampler. I like the Starbucks, Seattles best...

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I've also just heard about the Black Rifle Coffee. Anyone try that?
    I had a guy give me a one pound bag of the Black Rifle Coffee. It's Kona Coffee from Hawaii. Or at least it smells exactly like it. Dry it smells like feet and ass. Once brewed it's a fantastic cup of coffee.

When we went to Hawaii, that's all they had in the cottage we rented for the week. I opened it, smelled it and immediately found the closest grocery store to buy Folger's. I then realized Folger's had to be shipped in to Hawaii. A 30 something ounce canister of Folger's was around $13....and this was in 2003. Needless to say, the Kona Coffee grew on me.

Top Bottom