• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Passing along information that I saw on the news yesterday that there is a recall on dehumidifiers because they are catching on fire. Of course, I checked mine and it was part of the recall! Units were made by Midea, in China and sold by Electrolux Home Products, North Carolina. Mine is a Frigidaire. Talk about your planned obsolescence!

Frigidaire and Electrolux used to be American companies that made quality products, now apparently they are just "brand" names on Chinese junk. Anyway, Google dehumidifier recalls and you will find the info for a replacement or refund. I went with the refund, burn me once and I move on. The other "brands" are probably made by the same company so I doubt I will gain anything.

I also had a Verilux fluorescent desk lamp, actually 2 of them over the past 4 years, that the electronics fried on. Quality control is non-existent today. Get the lowest bidder to make it in China, take your money and run.:xmad:

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Do you have a link? I'm not seeing a current recall.

In the last 4 years I've been through 3 if not 4 dehumidifiers. one was recalled then I had two quit drawing out moisture. I think my current one is on the way out too, last time I had it running was in the fall and the coil was starting to freeze up. So far I've learned to buy them from Amazon and then purchase the square trade warranty for an extra $10 to $15. I'm not sure what's going on I've talked to others that are lucky to get 2 years out of a dehumidifier.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Good to know. Thanks for posting. My neighbor lost just about the top half of his house to fire from a window air conditioner malfunction (not a very dissimilar appliance to a dehumidifier).

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I think my current one is on the way out too, last time I had it running was in the fall and the coil was starting to freeze up..

Buddy of mine bought a new unit and gave me his non-working one. I went home, took the cover off and cleaned it... mostly just blowing it out. That was six or more years ago and it still works. I offered to give it back but he didn't need two.

I will look into the recalls tho, as I have four dehumidifiers at different locations.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Had a HVAC guy tell me that basically all of the portable dehumidifiers are potential fire hazards and that they either are or will be recalled.

Sad that you can't buy some products today and expect decent quality and longevity.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    We have one of the Gree made ones that is recalled and one that is not. We need to send or bad one in but we haven't bothered since we have the other one that's been working fine.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    I've gone through 2 recalls for these damn things in 5 years. Cut my cord, sent them a pic of it on 12/29/16 and opted for a replacement over the $100 they offered.
    3/30/17 a new Fridgedaire finally shows up. Plug it in...thwack-thwack-Thwack- thwack damn hamster wheel fan is hitting the inside of the unit. Found 3 brand new,shiny screws laying in the bottom. They actually wanted to send a repairman out to fix it..Are you kidding me???
    Spoke to a supervisor and they were sending a UPS label for the return....been 4 days & 2 more phone calls and still no UPS label. EVERY brand is the same cheapass garbage from China with a brand name sticker. The hurried replacements for the millions on recall will be more dangerous than the previous, just shell gaming the problem forward.

Top Bottom