• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I have a 54" Huasqvarna rider….slow. Would like to trade in on a zero turn…..have a local Toro dealer….I've seen Toro 50" with great reviews for around 3499.00 MSRP…..have about 1.5 acres to mow. Any suggestions on zero turn sales or good brand…..don't need the best most expensive but a good one. Any tips or suggestions for buying new or used one appreciated.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    My thoughts would be to sell your current mower and find a gently used commercial Zero turn. Scag, JD, or exmark would be my first choices in regards to brand. 2nd tier would be Toro, Hustler, or Ferris.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Don't get a Dixon. I have the privilege of welding a different piece on the same almost every year.

Year one - spindles broke free from the deck.
    Year two - deck separated at factory welds.
    Year three - front wheel broke off frame.
    Year four - frame broke right in front of drive wheels.
    Year five - other front wheel.

You get the idea. Also, the motor needed a complete rebuild.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought a used 2008 Grasshopper 727T6 a few years ago.
    It's 27hp Kohler Twin with a front 61" deck.

It's been a great mower!

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Currently on my second Toro zero turn. If I had to make a purchase decision tomorrow, would probably give Hustler a more serious look even though I'd have to drive considerably further to get one; their entry level mowers are built better.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I like my exmark lazer z e series 60" It's crazy fast. Too fast for me I let the wife drive it and I use the hustler fast track 54". The hustler is slower but I like the cut better. It does a better job at mulching the leaves. I had a hustler mini z 52". It was faster than the fast track but slower than the exmark. I gave the mini z to my buddy and he loves it. All 3 are still running strong and never any problems from any of them. The mini z was the oldest at 8 years old.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    plant 1 acre full of pines, will reduce your mowing time by 2/3

AMEN…..I've already done several trees and Spruce…bad thing here on our new property its bad soil to clay….got trees in the ground in couple areas after 4 years are still a foot tall….LOL.

Thanks for all the input guys…..so far Dixon is at the bottom of the list….lol. I'll keep the Harsqvarna over that…over 5 years and flawless.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    13 season Scag Turf-Tiger owner here. It's been a good one but they're pretty pricey...I would do it all over again though.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have a Toro 50". Going on year 9. My dad bought one just like it a couple of months after I got mine. Neither of us have had any issues with them. My second choice would be Hustler.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Since I work with all the brands on a daily basis I know the ins and outs of them all. Nothing at all wrong with a toro. Time cutters are fantastic little machines for your $$$, and don't let people make you believe the fab deck is better than the stamped. Ayp which is husq, jonsred, dixon, and crapsman along with mtd which is troy bilt, cub cadet, columbia, and others are ones to stay away from. Throw aways, same for cheapo John deere d series and small zeros under 7 iron deck machiens.

Toro and exmark are exceptional quality, and support is great. Servicing dealers are where it's at. Buy from your Toro dealer and don't look back. Also, if you have a bad boy dealer, give them a look. Rediculoudly built machines for the $$$ and, admittedly, makes the time cutter and raptor look like cheapo machines. More features than any machines in their class, more metal, welded frames, welded 7 gauge decks, etc.

Raptor looks beefy, but save money and get a time cutter that's built exactly the same for less money

And even if none of anything I said above helps, the one major piece of advice I can give is, DON'T BUY A BRIGGS ENGINE, unless it says vanguard. If you like oil leaks galore, and engine replacements, the buy a Briggs on a rider :)

Exmark has been my go to, but playing with a bad boy outlaw xp with a Yamaha engine, and another new machine at the end of the month.

Top Bottom