• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That's a $700 uber from ohare to Louisville.

but better to **** off customers and get sued I guess. But the doc acted like an idiot if he truly ran to the back of the plane and "was disoriented" after "being dragged off the plane"

united should have kept raising $$ until someone accepted. Lesson learned I guess

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Standing in the middle of the Detroit Airport, I once loudly made the observation that if they could not count the number of seats on a plane, how could I trust them to put the right number of gallons of fuel in it.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Wow. I cant wait to see how this turns out for him and the other passengers who have suffrred emotional distress and i am sure are now unable to fly and will need years of counseling...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So they offered to refund his ticket and added $800 cash it he took the next flight?
    Or just canceled his ticket and gave him $800? :dunno:

Either way they screwed up.

That's still wrong and I don't see why the police is called to fix the airline's bad planning.
    The passenger did nothing illegal if he bought his ticket and the company gave him a seat.
    It's not like he climbed on board without a ticket.

If I'm at a restaurant and during my meal the owner decides I should be moved to another table, can they call the police to have me move? :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The biggest problem I saw was that they were bumping customers for employees. So if you have employees you KNOW are arriving on their work flight, why dont you reserve them seats so this doesnt happen?

(from a different article)

those on the plane were told that four people needed to give up their seats to stand-by United employees that needed to be in Louisville on Monday for a flight. Passengers were told that the flight would not take off until the United crew had seats,

So your Standby employees' time is more important than your customers' schedules? Stick a sock in it, United. Your poor planning is not justified in forcibly removing passengers. Another vote for "raise the price until it is worth somebody's time."

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sorry, don't buy all this UA bashing. When you buy a ticket you agree to the airline's rules, which include overbooking (which besides keeping revenues up for the airline, also makes it easier to handle cancellations for less cost to the customer). This is not news, airlines have worked this way for years. Whether they needed the seats for other passengers or employees is irrelevant. And speaking of bad planning, when you know you have to be at work Monday morning and you schedule your return flight for Sunday evening...

I note that three other passenger were able to follow the rules. When this guy refused to leave and made the cops drag him out he was being an ass. He turned a civil matter into a criminal one. Sure UA could have tried to bribe him some more, but he agreed to the rules when he bought the ticket. Anybody can sue for anything, but I'll bet this does not go far. All he would be arguing is that he is entitled to more than he paid for.

See Rules 5 & 25: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contract-of-carriage.aspx#sec5

JdsBiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Muncie
    Rule 5 and 25 don't apply IMO. They both refer to boarding, he was already in his seat and therefore boarded. He checked in, boarded and was seated. They should of solved the issue before he boarded.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    That also must have been a really awkward ride for the employee that apparently needed that seat so badly.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Rule 5 and 25 don't apply IMO. They both refer to boarding, he was already in his seat and therefore boarded. He checked in, boarded and was seated. They should of solved the issue before he boarded.

^this
    The contract for the airplane ticket is you can be bumped from your flight for whatever reason PRIOR to boarding. Meanibg prior to you giving your ticket to the gate attendant and s/he scanning it. Once they scan/accept it that part of the contract is null as you have boarded and the airline "boarded" you.

Top Bottom