• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    A couple of the speakers in my Wrangler have been acting up for awhile. I ended up replacing them, but the problem remains.

Crutchfield has recommended that I replace the factory head unit.

I have it narrowed down to a couple. Sony and Alpine. Do brands matter anymore?

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Pioneer is what I recommend for the head unit if you like sound quality and lots of audio options to tweak. Check the watts it if it matches your car speakers, you dont want it underpowered. As for speakers, I've had good experience with Pioneer, JBL, Focal. Adding an amp is another story.

And yes, Brands still matters. Sony has always been mediocre in audio. Alpine is decent.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    What makes Sony mediocre?

Hard to explain. For the head unit, audio features are less, their speakers doesn't sound as good as others. You have to be keen on audio to be able to see the difference. I gave them a shot since they make good TV but not the same department I guess.

Same thing with Bose and Beats by Dre where both are plain marketing rather than audio quality.

I should have asked first, are you a radio/mp3/satellite/podcast/audio book listener? Or a .wav/CD music type? If the former, it shouldn't matter in which headunit you buy, if latter, then getting the right headunit and speakers combo to get the most out of the audio source.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Use a impedance bridge and test for shorts or opens while driving or shutting doors etc. a good install shop should have one. Normally the speakers in the roll bar are the ones that have issues. the wiring could very well be at fault much cheaper than a headend. Use the meter whenever they would normally have the issues. Chruchfield makes more of sales.

For or headends there are some real good ones and even the worst are much better than long ago. If it has the features you are looking for and that it fits in the space you have available. Sherwood kenwood alpine sony

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Audio is like scopes on e you reach a certain dollar amount it is a large amount of cash for little true improvement in sound most ears can hear. Like a 43 inch 4K TV. Do. Or get me started on 4K tv's please

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Hard to explain. For the head unit, audio features are less, their speakers doesn't sound as good as others. You have to be keen on audio to be able to see the difference. I gave them a shot since they make good TV but not the same department I guess.

Same thing with Bose and Beats by Dre where both are plain marketing rather than audio quality.

I should have asked first, are you a radio/mp3/satellite/podcast/audio book listener? Or a .wav/CD music type? If the former, it shouldn't matter in which headunit you buy, if latter, then getting the right headunit and speakers combo to get the most out of the audio source.

I just like to listen to music on my IPhone and sometimes listen to the local radio stations.

I've already replaced the speakers with Polk audio. Cheap and popular for wranglers.

I was looking at these:
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE143B/Alpine-CDE-143BT.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158N5100BT/Sony-MEX-N5100BT.html

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Last edited:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have almost the same Alpine in my truck and love it, the only difference is mine has a satellite radio receiver built in. Easy to use and sounds good. My son had a Sony in his car and I felt like I needed to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to use the stupid thing. Way to many unnecessary settings and hard to find the ones I wanted.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Whatever head unit you get, if you intend to use Bluetooth to stream your music make sure it supports the aptX codec.

Most Kenwoods above $99 do. I have had several Kenwood head units that have had no problems with them.

Top Bottom