• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I was hunting for treasure in my in laws back yard with a metal detector and came across this. It's metalic and a magnet sticks to it. Any ideas? It has this one side that is very smooth and has divots. I am hoping it's a meteorite but I know chances are it is not.

BADC1634-26C1-4380-B97A-F152650F414C_zpsxzz7a6t8.jpg

386E2888-02B4-47CD-9DA8-07DF601BEE01_zpsetdo7t5q.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Looks like a metiorite!! Big money for a chunk that big
    looks like a shattered off fragment from a larger piece. The bigger ones explode in the air before they hit the ground a lot of times.
    very fricken cool!!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I was thinking iron, but most stuff around here is sandstone. And it was solo with nothing else around it and 8 inches in the ground. I was thinking there would have been more around it.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Sweet find. Take it to a shop if they offer u nothing then iron. If they tell u its nothing and offer u $5.00 then a meteor. Let us know.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    That could well be a meteorite, but it's hard to say for sure with just a couple pictures. Those could be regmaglypts in the first pic, and fusion crust with some rust over it in the second. That's what it looks like to me, but you would want it tested to be sure. Or at least someone who knows more about this topic looking at it.

It also might be hematite. Maybe. Examples of hematite

hematite-kidney-ore-296_zpsrlmjb10c.jpg

images_zpsp2oznhm1.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Doesn't look like the kind of sandstone iron ore that I've seen in here in Indiana, looks more like a meteorite.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Yeah you weigh the rock, weigh the item in the water (not touching the bottom), and you have to subtract the weight of the cup and water.... that's at least what the website said.... cause you measure the displacement

-First: weigh your meteorite on a precise scale.
    -Second: weigh your meteorite in a glass of water by tying it to a string and not letting it touch the bottom of the glass then subtract the weight of the glass of water so that you have only the weight of the water that was displaced by the volume of the potential meteorite.
    -Third: divide the first weight by the second.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    There is alot of hematite in Indiana and it is often confused for meteorites. Yours however, looks awefully good. Please keep us posted when you find out for sure.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Prolly is a bit piece of dookie, didn't find a corn nut in it yet

.... but at least it's keeping me entertained... I have a streak plate coming in the mail, so that should tell me if it's a mineral like magnetite or hematite.... I'm still thinking it's a mineral of some sort but the investigation is fun.

Top Bottom