• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Yesterday, on Good Friday, as I pulled into the driveway from work, my wife met me at the truck. Our elderly neighbor from across the street had been feeling bad for several days, and the issues weren`t subsiding, so my wife was going to take her to the ER. Long story short, they called 911 because the situation rapidly grew grim, and our dear, dear friend passed away in front of her husband and my wife. Her 90 year old husband now, after 66 years of marriage to this wonderful woman is without the woman he called his "sweetheart".

Hug your loved ones...make certain they know that you love them deeply. Life is but a vapor...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My condolences for your loss.

Any day could indeed be our last or the last one for any of our loved ones. Don't wait until it's too late to love them and love God.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    That's rough. I couldn't imagine losing someone that has been your partner for so long.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Sad. If he doesn't find a new purpose he will be gone with in a year. Sad how that happens. It's all very sad.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Be there for him...he is going to be lost without her. I have an elderly neighbor I help several days a week. She is now in an assisted living/independent living situation in an apartment. There is a man who moved in last summer that is 96 and was married to his wife for 76 years. They were supposed to move into an apartment together, and she died the week they were to move in. His family moved him there as scheduled. That poor man lost his wife, his home and was put with all of these people who are essentially strangers in the span of a week. His grandson is in his home so it is still in the family, but he is having a terrible time without his wife. He is nearly blind and mostly deaf, but he and I have had a few very nice conversations. He is just so sad. I love hearing his stories and helping him when I can.

There are a few others in similar situations in the apartments, but none that are dealing with such a recent loss...this poor man is overwhelmed and sad.

Invite your neighbor for dinner or to visit and check on him often. You will be blessed as much as he is for taking the time to help him.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I could only hope to be lucky enough to die at 90, looking up at the sky on a beatiful day while holding my wife's hand.

Hopefully having her husband there brought her peace in those final moments.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Many, many thanks for the well wishes of you all. Bill is 90, his wife was 86, both Christians, and strong believers, so, they have that hope, knowing today especially, that because Jesus is risen, they will be together again one day. My wife and I looked out for them as best we could, since their children live north. They knew they could ring our phone if, and when they needed us, and thankfully, they did call us when they needed help. We did a couple of hours of lawn work for them occasionally on a Saturday afternoon, and took meals to them occasionally when we knew they could use them. They have been much more than just neighbors, they are very much loved ones. We`re waiting to hear from their children as to her final arrangements, and we know also that the husband will likely have to move in with one of the children, or go into a nursing home/assisted living, so we are, in effect, losing both our friends. We intend to stay in close contact with Bill, as he and I have developed a close bond, and have sat and talked about theology, and life in general many a time. I have loved learning how he and his sweetheart met, and courted, and raised their family. They are genuinely salt of the earth people. We need many more just like them, but people who are good and sweet as these two are harder and harder to find all the time.

All of this is just a sad reminder of how fleeting life is, how temporal, and that we really cannot take relationship for granted. Those we love have to be told, frequently, that they are loved. They have to be shown that they are loved. They have to know, and feel that they are loved. Even for believers, death is painful, and it hurts to be separated from those we love, but at least, we know that in Christ Jesus, we too will one day have our resurrection, and we will rejoice together again one day.

Happy Easter, and God bless you all.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Happy Easter, Greg. It sounds like you are truly blessed to have had them in your life.

Top Bottom