• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Due to medical issues I will need to be driving from St. John to Univ. of Chicago Hospital. On a map it appears the area is surrounded by rough neighborhoods. Would appreciate any tips on the best route to take there.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Due to medical issues I will need to be driving from St. John to Univ. of Chicago Hospital. On a map it appears the area is surrounded by rough neighborhoods. Would appreciate any tips on the best route to take there.

Hi, spec. I am often in that neighborhood (54th and LSD). I take I-65 until there is no more, then 90 and off at Stony Island by the mosque. You run straight north to the University of Chicago.

Hope all goes well.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm not sure there is a better route to take. My husband's cousin was in the burn unit there a few years ago and we went several times a week to be there for him. Just take the direct route and park in the parking garage. I believe you may be able to get your parking validated as a patient. We bought some sort of ticket books or something they offered for visitors that were cheaper than paying the regular rate.

Make sure your vehicle is in good repair so you don't have to worry about breaking down. Best wishes for your medical treatment as well. I'll add you to my prayer list.

MCINDIANA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan City
    I agree with Kirk Freeman's post above. I have driven this route many times. Usually when I go to downtown Chicago this is the route I take. I never had a problem. I would suggest for you to drive in the second lane away from the curb.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    :+1: We take Stony Island quite a bit and have for years going to various destinations. Avoid the right lane due to random parked cars and bus stops.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    First, the toll road exit is just before the end of 65 North. If you don't have an Ipass or EZPass you are going to have to pay tolls manually. Credit card is probably the best way these days.

Second, Stony Island is a well traveled road during the day, so stick to daytime travel if you can. I go that route off and on for my commute downtown, and have never had an issue in 11 years.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for all the tips folks, much appreciated. I have an i Pass so the Skyway should work for me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Thanks for all the tips folks, much appreciated. I have an i Pass so the Skyway should work for me.
    Excellent. It will be $6 total each way I believe.

Remember to leave any guns you may take locked in your car when you get out. It is legal to ride with them in your car, but not when you exit the vehicle.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    We've been up there a bunch lately. We go 394 to the Bishop Ford/94 and get off at 55th/Garfield. Go east a few blocks and through Washington Park and you end up right in front of the north parking garage.

We live between CP and St John just off of 93rd by the Christmas tree farm....

Another option if you take 90 is to get on at Cline and save the drive east to 65. Right after you cross over 90 there is an exit onto Gary Road that hooks you around to pick it up.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Are you going in the morning, afternoon or evening?
    Park in the hospital garge and stay on the campus. The area around their is not very nice.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, park in the garage, if possible. Sometimes it's full.
    If you are going to go a lot, then they sell passes for the garage, cheaper than individual purchases.

I-65 at the Merrillville 61st Avenue exit has some construction. Not bad. But might add a few minutes to the commute.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    They valet, or even stamp if there too. As Actaeon said, they sell passes in the garage if you are going a lot. I know they save a ton of money. I usually take 80/94 to the 55th street exit. Not a great neighborhood, but usually pretty quick through it. Parking garage is pretty well watched, still lock the truck but been going there since October of 2010. Actaeon (my brother ) has taken me there and gone to visit more than a few times.
    Meals in the rooms are great, you get a menu, call and wait they say an hour but after quicker and bring you whatever on the menu. DCAM and cafeteria has great to good food. Au Pain is there, expensive, and the sky bridge, I was only there once, but food seemed pretty decent. I really actually like going there, professional staff and very friendly, helpful and good at what they do.

Top Bottom