• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My eyes are taking more punishment than usual from seasonal allergies this year. The itching/inflammation is really bad.

I'm using the following meds:

1. Cetirizine HCl (generic Zyrtec)
    2. Fluticasone propionate nasal spray (generic Flonase)
    3. Two different OTC antihistamine eye drops - Naphazoline HCl/Pheniramine Maleate and Ketotifen (generic Zaditor)

I'm also doing my best to keep my face around my eyes and my eyelids and lashes as clean as possible which helps.

Any suggestions for relief from the eye itching? I have sent a message to my doctor's office, but I welcome your advice as well!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm using cold packs today (in addition to everything else). The cold is helping quite a bit and my left eye is no longer droopy enough to make me look like Forrrest Whitaker.

Correction: just informed my left eye is still Whitakerized.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    My eyes and allergies are getting hammered this year. Zyrtec didn't do squat for me. I have been relying on generic Flonase and Visine A. It seems to be working so far...although I am still sneezing a couple of times a day.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My eyes and allergies are getting hammered this year. Zyrtec didn't do squat for me. I have been relying on generic Flonase and Visine A. It seems to be working so far...although I am still sneezing a couple of times a day.

Visine-A is one of the products with Naphazoline HCl/Pheniramine Maleate. It's worked pretty well for me in the past, especially if I used it before the real itching started. This year it's not doing so well.

My dad used to apply a corticosteroid ointment forumulated for eyes, but I can't remember the name of it. Still waiting to hear from my doc's office.

I'm still liberally applying poison ivy to all the display glasses at LensCrafters in the mall :rofl:

I never liked you!

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I have bad itchy swollen eyes every year and I find Allegra works better for me than Zyrtec. Have you tried to switch?

Also the Flonase has been a huge help for me. I get it so bad that my eyes swell almost shut during the night while asleep.

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    I use claritin ready tabs. They dissolve on tongue.
    Helps my itchy eyes. Sounds like you have it way worse than me though.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Pazeo prescription eye drops. 7 times stronger than visine. I'm the poster boy for allergies and it works for me, along with singulair, xyzal and dymista nose spray.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I also am being destroyed by allergies this year. And my eyes are in many ways taking the brunt of it. I am considering hitting up the doc for some prescription drops of some sort... I don't know how far through it I am right now, but I know that next year I won't be playing around.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Mine are terrible this year. I just want to dig at my eye balls. Sinuses just pour clear crap. Zyrtec usually works. If it gets really bad I pop a Benadryl. That makes it manageable.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Neti-pot. Always thought they were stupid and pushed drugs instead (kind of my job). Tried a neti-pot my self and got excellent results. Might be worth a shot.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have bad itchy swollen eyes every year and I find Allegra works better for me than Zyrtec. Have you tried to switch?

Also the Flonase has been a huge help for me. I get it so bad that my eyes swell almost shut during the night while asleep.

I have not tried Allegra, but I might soon!

I use claritin ready tabs. They dissolve on tongue.
    Helps my itchy eyes. Sounds like you have it way worse than me though.

I used to use Claritin as well, but the Zyrtec works better for me.

Pazeo prescription eye drops. 7 times stronger than visine. I'm the poster boy for allergies and it works for me, along with singulair, xyzal and dymista nose spray.

Thank you! I will check on that with my MD.

I also am being destroyed by allergies this year. And my eyes are in many ways taking the brunt of it. I am considering hitting up the doc for some prescription drops of some sort... I don't know how far through it I am right now, but I know that next year I won't be playing around.

I feel your pain.

Mine are terrible this year. I just want to dig at my eye balls. Sinuses just pour clear crap. Zyrtec usually works. If it gets really bad I pop a Benadryl. That makes it manageable.

My sinuses are doing fine with the combination of the Zyrtec, Flonase, and Singulair. My lungs are about normal for this time of year, but my eyes are killing me.

Neti-pot. Always thought they were stupid and pushed drugs instead (kind of my job). Tried a neti-pot my self and got excellent results. Might be worth a shot.

I'm willing to try . . .

I had to get an Allergy Shot first of March, that took care of the Itchy eyes/runny nose. I think it was Depomedrol (sp?).

I should go to an allergist, but I'm a guy and I avoid doctors when I think I can get away with it. The evidence indicates I am wrong this time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I can still tell it's allergy season, but so far am much better with it this year. Been doing the raw vinegar, raw honey, cayenne tonic at least a couple times daily for a few months.

We'll see how the season progresses. At least so far the congestion, sinus, ear infection issues have been kept at bay. These have always been my issues, before eye problems were noticed.

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I only have issues with itchy eyes around April and May. I also tried all the OTC eye drops. Dr. prescribed Azelastine HCL 0.05% drops, works great.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

I will second the suggestion to try Allegra. Claritin works so-so for me and Zyrtec is about as effective as just cramming flowers in my nose.

I get allergy induced asthma attacks throughout the year. The more mild the winter the worse things get. Allegra and an inhaler keep the allergies subdued. Interestingly, it's a local allergen that causes the most problems and not one that is statewide. Grew up in NWI and fought terrible allergies, moved to Indy and it's much easier to control. Something north of Kokomo makes things worse.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Seasonal allergies used to be so bad I would get a steroid shot about this time every year. I wouldn't so much as sneeze until October after one of those. Did that 3 or 4 times and my doctor told me to hold off due to joint issues I might see down the road. So I went back to meds, and nothing prescription or OTC would make much of a dent. The last couple of years or so I've been taking raw honey, which generally helps quite a bit, but I still had some scattered episodes. This year has been my best in a long time. When I started having issues, I took raw honey and also have been eating edible blossoms, like dandelion. It might be that my body is changing, but my allergies have not been nearly as bad.

Top Bottom