• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    To write, "I hope that you choke on it" on the memo area of the tax check I just signed to the Indiana Dept. of Revenue???

I hate mid-April every year....:xmad:

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    This is the first time in five years I don't owe money on my taxes. I must have screwed up somewhere. Going to get back a whole $180. I feel like I won the lottery!

Let me know how that works for you. I hear the food at the federal prison in Terre Haute isn't too bad!! :D

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    This is the first time in five years I don't owe money on my taxes. I must have screwed up somewhere. Going to get back a whole $180. I feel like I won the lottery!

Let me know how that works for you. I hear the food at the federal prison in Terre Haute isn't too bad!! :D

Something has changed.....Usually I will get around $150-200 from the Feds and the State will be around -$200.
    This year, I got the same amount back from the IRS, yet the State bill was $750?? Was there a state income tax increase this year???

(Note-this is over and above what is deducted from my paycheck)

Last edited:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Between the Mrs. and I we owed around $2k total to feds and state combined. We each have tax-free earning throughout the year...I should really take a cut of our checks and put it in an account to pay our taxes out of.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The total amount in taxes I paid this year makes me want to vomit

i think in annual amounts, not just when I file. But I owed $5775 federal when I filed

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

i think in annual amounts, not just when I file. But I owed $5775 federal when I filed

Me too...but our check was 5 figures. 2016 seemed like a really good year up until last week. Now it's just a good year...and one more year that further cemented my hatred for government overspending.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County

I really believe we should change the IRS due date to November 1st.....Many elections would turn out differently if you had to cut the check a week before elections...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I really believe we should change the IRS due date to November 1st.....Many elections would turn out differently if you had to cut the check a week before elections...

yep. And eliminate witholding. And make people write a separate check to social security. Then we would see reform

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    yep. And eliminate witholding. And make people write a separate check to social security. Then we would see reform

I've been calling for this for years. Even better would be to make them have to go down to the court house the first of every month, stand in line, and pay in cash.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    So if I did this on our quarterly tax payment to the state, would that draw even more attention to us?

I finally called the county the other day about our property taxes since we still haven't received the bills for this year. They are supposed to be mailed at the end of this week. I can't wait to see what I will be paying them next month too.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I hate seeing how much I paid throughout the year. Then, I see how much more they're demanding on top of that. Then, I think of all the people getting back more than they paid. I just hope that check I just wrote goes toward the next MOAB.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    My check for $21,000 to the FED's said "Blow me" in the memo line. If I recall correctly, last years for $16K said something similar. It makes me happy that I can support several people's lifestyle with my hard work besides my family.

Dirty Steve

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Write it realllllly small. I used to write insulting things in the memo line when paying our cable bill. I'm sure they couldn't read it, but it gave me a small bit of satisfaction. It would be interesting to see what other people put on the memo line when paying the IRS.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If every tax we owed on every purchase/property/plates/income/fuel/blah blah blah were paid in 1 check on the same day this crap would come to a halt. People just do not realize how deeply we are being gouged.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Well, it is down to the line and I still haven't heard back from my accountant! I'll likely be leaving work early to pick up the nearly 1 foot tall stack of papers and cut obscene checks in time. I'm certainly not making any more than before but the practice loan is near its end so the ratio of interest (can deduct) to principal is pretty much all principal. On paper I'm making a lot more. Tax bill has gone up exponentially over the last couple years.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So if I did this on our quarterly tax payment to the state, would that draw even more attention to us?

I finally called the county the other day about our property taxes since we still haven't received the bills for this year. They are supposed to be mailed at the end of this week. I can't wait to see what I will be paying them next month too.

I fight the property taxes on nearly all of my places. They seem to randomly make up the worth each year. No real rhyme or reason.

I do not remember the form, but there is one that you can fill out to start a bit of conflict with the county. I have given reasons that included other buildings that were the same exact size and age, on the same block and I have also had my realtor run a CMA on properties to help show that the adjustment was out of line.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I fight the property taxes on nearly all of my places. They seem to randomly make up the worth each year. No real rhyme or reason.

I do not remember the form, but there is one that you can fill out to start a bit of conflict with the county. I have given reasons that included other buildings that were the same exact size and age, on the same block and I have also had my realtor run a CMA on properties to help show that the adjustment was out of line.
    Yeah, and isn't it curious that during the housing slump (crash) when prices were dropping like a rock, the "value" of properties for tax purposes miraculously increased? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom