• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    So the wife and I decided to go out and eat at a Chinese Buffet.We eat and I go to pay the bill with my debit card and my card gets denied. Hmm, I know I had sufficient funds so I have the lady run it again. Same deal, denied. So I hand her my credit card and that runs through. So I get home, go online and sure enough,I still have funds in my checking. I check my email and I received a email from the bank fraud protection dept regarding communicating with them because of a security risk. I call them and the rep ask for the normal info but she then ask for my debit card number. I give it to her and then she ask me for the security number on the back. Hmm, I told her that was a strange request and that I have never been asked for that. She says it's SOP. I then proceed to tell her that I felt feel that info was not needed and I was going to call the bank directly through the number on their website. I call the bank, the rep just ask for my name and SS. No problem. She gets all my info on the screen and I proceed to tell her about the previous conversation and how I felt that the email from and the call to the fraud protection dept was actually a phishing scam. Now I live in Warsaw and the rep tells me there were a bunch of charges today on my debit from Sydney Australia, some Uber charges and charges in NY, NJ, Arizona and a few other places. So after she closed my old debit card, we start to discuss the email I received and give her the number from it. She places me on hold for a few moments and comes back and says the email, number was legitimately from the bank. Ok, great to hear that since I was stupid enough to give a stranger on the phone my debit card number.
    Sheesh, how do these SOBS do this. The only thing I could think of is earlier this morning I made a small purchase online and Google Chrome asked me if I wanted to store my cc info on Google Chrome and I allowed it. Just wanted to give people and heads up in case anyone else is storing their cc info on Chrome.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    This has been going on. I'm very careful and my Debit Card was Skimmed a week ago. I found out very fast and the SOB's are very good. Thankfully they messed up and used it on amazon.com. Amazon told me about it and I closed out the card. It's frustrating but it's what happens at times.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Chrome is not a big deal. God only knows where the account was compromised from. It could have been leaked as part of a bigger data dump months ago and it just now is getting around to being used.

For added protection, dont shop online with a debit card. If a credit card number is stolen and fraud happens, No biggie. They reverse the charges and you arent on the hook unless they find its not really fraud. But you arent out any money. Depending on your bank however, If your debit is compromised, you are out the cash you need to live on, and MAYBE the bank will put it back during the investigation. You hope. Remember, when a CREDIT card is hacked, the bank's money is stolen. When your DEBIT is hacked, YOUR money is stolen. Who's money do you prefer gets taken? :):

Funny thing, is if I try to use my debit at Taco Bell, it is ALWAYS declined on the first swipe. Second swipe? No worries. It goes through. Weird.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Same thing happened to me, except it was my credit card, not a debit card. I spent a week in Vegas and put everything on my MasterCard, and when I got home I got a call from my credit union's fraud prevention department asking about a $200 charge in eastern Europe. Glad it was on my credit card and not debit. I've started using my credit card a lot more lately, and just paying the balance every month. At least if it gets hit again, it's not really my funds at risk.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Plus, some of the better credit cards offer cash back rewards. It's not much, usually 1% or 1.5%, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Plus, some of the better credit cards offer cash back rewards. It's not much, usually 1% or 1.5%, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye.

Yep. My Visa I use for fuel I get 1% back. My Amex I use for business expenses I get hotel points. At this point I have about 10 days banked at a Hampton Inn. I haven't paid for a hotel room for my personal travel in YEARS.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My BIL had 300lb dog food delivered today to their house as a fraudulent purchase. I'm guessing someone was going to come by and grab it but they were home

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Chrome is not a big deal. God only knows where the account was compromised from. It could have been leaked as part of a bigger data dump months ago and it just now is getting around to being used.

For added protection, dont shop online with a debit card. If a credit card number is stolen and fraud happens, No biggie. They reverse the charges and you arent on the hook unless they find its not really fraud. But you arent out any money. Depending on your bank however, If your debit is compromised, you are out the cash you need to live on, and MAYBE the bank will put it back during the investigation. You hope. Remember, when a CREDIT card is hacked, the bank's money is stolen. When your DEBIT is hacked, YOUR money is stolen. Who's money do you prefer gets taken? :):

Funny thing, is if I try to use my debit at Taco Bell, it is ALWAYS declined on the first swipe. Second swipe? No worries. It goes through. Weird.

This is why I don't have a debit card. There's just no reason (for me at least) to have a debit card when I already have a credit card.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is why I don't have a debit card. There's just no reason (for me at least) to have a debit card when I already have a credit card.

No Debit card? How do you get money out of your checking account? (other than writing a check)

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Credit card ALWAYS ALWAYS AND ALWAYS. I don't even have a debit card any more. I make a payment every week. My card is thru Cap 1 and came with an app that sends real time charge notifications. Like, I can use it at Wendys drive thru and the ding comes in before I have my food.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My BIL had 300lb dog food delivered today to their house as a fraudulent purchase. I'm guessing someone was going to come by and grab it but they were home

That's scary that they were that close. Usually they are states or countries away.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Also pay with cash when you go out to eat. I had someone (waiter/waitress) load my card onto a burner phone, then sell said phone to some folks that used it to buy a bunch of gift cards with Apple Pay. The funny thing about that, according to the bank, YOU made the purchase as it acts as a chip reader. It took me 4 months to get my money back after i had to have my boss swear on work letterhead that I was at work in Indy and not in Florida. Many restaurants get tax breaks by hiring felons on work release. Back when Jillians was around they had a whole crew of felons stealing cards and selling numbers.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We have never had a debit card or ATM card. We cash a check every Saturday morning at the bank drive thru. We pay cash pretty much everywhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Also pay with cash when you go out to eat. I had someone (waiter/waitress) load my card onto a burner phone, then sell said phone to some folks that used it to buy a bunch of gift cards with Apple Pay. The funny thing about that, according to the bank, YOU made the purchase as it acts as a chip reader. It took me 4 months to get my money back after i had to have my boss swear on work letterhead that I was at work in Indy and not in Florida. Many restaurants get tax breaks by hiring felons on work release. Back when Jillians was around they had a whole crew of felons stealing cards and selling numbers.

We use our Debit at a few local joints that we eat at regularly and know the owners. Beyond that it is cash.

There are many ways these thieves get your info and some of it is inside the organizations themselves. People just can not be trusted much these days.

Top Bottom