Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Master

    User Info Menu

    Oh and the Indiana Elmer Network will be having a Tech to General upgrade class in June, and a General to Extra upgrade class end of July first part of August. They meet at the Aviation Institute of Maintenance on Girl School Rd. No charge for the classes, no charge for the exams. They even have a CW class coming up this fall. They test under the Laurel VEC so there is no fee for exams. They just had a fantastic antenna workshop where everyone built dual band copper pipe J-poles and talked about wire antennas for the camp site.

  2. #12
    Grandmaster 1911ly's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PistolBob View Post
    If you tested in Franklin, you had one of the best teams in the state. On the down side, they are a ARRL VE testing team. The ARRL VEC takes FOREVER to get your paperwork sent to the FCC...I have seen ARRL results come back in 10 days and I have seen ARRL results take three weeks. So don't get impatient...it'll come. If you live close enough you ought to join the Midstate Amateur Radio Club there in Franklin. They meet at the REMC building on US 31 but you knew that.

    Dayton hamvention is 3 weeks away, it's a great hamfest and is now in Xenia Ohio. You should go and sit in on some fo the forums and buy an HF rig.

    73 de PistolBob
    I am a CVE for W5YI and hold test sessions for the ARRL. I have never had it take longer then 4 days from the time the ARRL gets my paper work for a license to be issued. And I have seen them post as soon as 2 days. Someone is being lazy and sitting on the paper work.

  3. #13
    Grandmaster Cameramonkey's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    First, CONGRATS!!!!

    Elmer rocks. I had my call sign in just a couple days after my test last month (KD9IEZ). I think I appeared in the database within 48 hours. Remember you are legal to transmit as soon as you are in the database.* Though I just realized I never got anything official in the mail like a card or some such. The only thing I got was a magazine from the ARRL congratulating me and asking me to join.



    Kinda annoyed with the call sign since the last 3 are all of the "similar sound" variety. IEC? ICE? For some reason that I cant explain I DESPISE the "zed" phonetic. But it flows faster than zulu so I think I am forever ...IEZed. And changing/vanity seems like a big hassle. (especially since I dont actually know what I want as much as what I DONT want) I need to start studying for my General so I can play around with the DX gear. Though I am a bit spooked. I studied for several weeks, then used the ARRL practice tests at least 4x and was testing at 90%-ish+ having seen what seemed to be a good covering of the questions, So I sat for the exam. I was surprised with the number of questions that blindsided me that I didnt get in the practice tests. I think I barely passed.

    *Search here by name: License Search as soon as you appear you are GTG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

  4. #14
    Master

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 1911ly View Post
    I am a CVE for W5YI and hold test sessions for the ARRL. I have never had it take longer then 4 days from the time the ARRL gets my paper work for a license to be issued. And I have seen them post as soon as 2 days. Someone is being lazy and sitting on the paper work.
    No. The team at Franklin sends the test paperwork to HQ that same day they test. I am a Laurel VE, we submit everything electronically and have new callsigns and updates usually within 24 hours unless it's a Saturday or Sunday test session since the FCC doesn't work weekends. I am also a ARRL VE and I have seen HQ take over 2 weeks from the time they get the package until the time the FCC has the info. Also an ARRL member here but they need to get rid of the testing fee...volunteers don't need to be paid, volunteers well....they volunteer.

  5. #15
    Cogito, ergo porto.
    Bill of Rights's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    First, CONGRATS!!!!

    Elmer rocks. I had my call sign in just a couple days after my test last month (KD9IEZ). I think I appeared in the database within 48 hours. Remember you are legal to transmit as soon as you are in the database.* Though I just realized I never got anything official in the mail like a card or some such. The only thing I got was a magazine from the ARRL congratulating me and asking me to join.



    Kinda annoyed with the call sign since the last 3 are all of the "similar sound" variety. IEC? ICE? For some reason that I cant explain I DESPISE the "zed" phonetic. But it flows faster than zulu so I think I am forever ...IEZed. And changing/vanity seems like a big hassle. (especially since I dont actually know what I want as much as what I DONT want) I need to start studying for my General so I can play around with the DX gear. Though I am a bit spooked. I studied for several weeks, then used the ARRL practice tests at least 4x and was testing at 90%-ish+ having seen what seemed to be a good covering of the questions, So I sat for the exam. I was surprised with the number of questions that blindsided me that I didnt get in the practice tests. I think I barely passed.

    *Search here by name: License Search as soon as you appear you are GTG.
    I got my Tech and General same day, missed Extra by like 4 points. I held off retesting it for a while, I think about a year. In all honesty, I memorized enough questions off QRZ.com to pass it, but I don't think I could do it again today. I got a Baofeng handheld as well. As it happens, one of the channels it would reach allowed me to use it as a handheld at work, though I never got it to transmit properly to them. I wanted it more to receive. Sad to say, I think I got on the air one time on a local ARES net. I broadcast my call sign, got acknowledged, and that was it. (they were doing a "roll call" of who was there. That was the only purpose of the net at that time.)

    I will say that doing the vanity, to me, didn't make sense until I got the Extra, because it allowed me to request a call that indicated in it my license class (2x2 with AA prefix) Why? A moment of vanity, I suppose.

    I'm sure it's a rewarding hobby for some. In no way am I denigrating it. Personally, I have no need to rag-chew, though. I'll still renew it when it's ready to expire in 2020, but I don't foresee getting on the air unless there's a reason to do so.
    (I kept wanting to say something like, "Any unit in the vicinity & 1 Adam 12, see the man, intersection of Walk & Don't Walk. 1 Adam 12, handle code 3.")

    73,

    Blessings,
    Bill

    Thanks for your help in keeping this a great forum!
    Forum Rules#######Classifieds Rules##############?!?! wait...what?

  6. #16
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Congrats to OP! I have been interested in getting started with radio, but haven't started the research yet. Are there some good resources around the net that you can recommend to get started with?

  7. #17
    Grandmaster Cameramonkey's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rigger View Post
    Congrats to OP! I have been interested in getting started with radio, but haven't started the research yet. Are there some good resources around the net that you can recommend to get started with?

    ARRL.org has some great resources. The practice tests are pretty good, though after running through the practice exam 5x and getting to the point of hitting the mid to high 90's, I still found a LOT of questions that I dont recall seeing on the actual exam. To the point I think I barely passed. (I wasnt having a good evening due to an incident earlier, so that also could have impacted my results)

    http://arrlexamreview.appspot.com/

    I also studied using this kindle book and it helped.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...w_myk_ro_title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

  8. #18
    Grandmaster 1911ly's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PistolBob View Post
    No. The team at Franklin sends the test paperwork to HQ that same day they test. I am a Laurel VE, we submit everything electronically and have new callsigns and updates usually within 24 hours unless it's a Saturday or Sunday test session since the FCC doesn't work weekends. I am also a ARRL VE and I have seen HQ take over 2 weeks from the time they get the package until the time the FCC has the info. Also an ARRL member here but they need to get rid of the testing fee...volunteers don't need to be paid, volunteers well....they volunteer.
    Well, that sucks. No one gets paid at our sessions, agreed! The only thing I take is money I pay for snacks/drinks. It's been a few years since I have held a ARRL session. I will remember this delay when it comes to future session.

    I help one of the W5YI CVE guys locally when he needs it. And wil be the CVE when he can't. Which is seldom. Lots of the guys that helped me are sadly now SK. So my test session are fewer Most new guys don't want to get involved with testing. Nor to they seem interested in HF :-( I have held 40 plus test sessions over the years. They are a lot of fun!

    W9AMR

  9. #19
    Plinker Deprime's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Congrats! Sad to say I haven't gotten on recently. I haven't gotten my dual band installed in my new truck. KC9YQU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •