Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Any amateur radio operators?

Drove to Franklin on Saturday from Madison to take my technician class exam. With 32/35, I passed and now am just awaiting for the FCC to issue me my call sign (I know it'll be KD9I--, unsure of last two characters).

Studying for my general now.

User Info Menu

Congratulations. N9ZYE here. Rarely on the air but I keep radios handy for emergency use.

User Info Menu

Same I have mine.... Rarely use it.... I got it so I could keep a police scanner in the car. Have radios that I could transmit with.... but since I am not much of a conversationalist.... dont care about talking to random old guys over the air.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    And if it could explode in the general direction of my mouth, that'd be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by indiucky View Post
    But to be fair to me the cock was in the down position....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JollyMon View Post
    Same I have mine.... Rarely use it.... I got it so I could keep a police scanner in the car. Have radios that I could transmit with.... but since I am not much of a conversationalist.... dont care about talking to random old guys over the air.
    There is so much more to do than just that...

Working DX, doing long distance and foreign contacts, make contacts with satelite, make contact with the ISS when it's overhead, contesting, bounce signals off the moon and meteor trails, decode signals from satellites, download imagery direct from NOAA satellites, etc.

For me, I'm more interested in tracking satellites, building antennas, reaching as far as I possibly can on HF frequencies, and experimentation. I don't really care so much about chatting with some dude 15 miles away. I'd rather collect QSL cards and log contacts from greater distances.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JollyMon View Post
    That's called rag chewing. Thankfully there are SOOO many other things to do with a license besides swap medical horror stories on the weekly gall bladder net.

Lebowski big congrats to you. Don't stop till you have your Extra.
    Justin B. - "Make them watch Wonder Woman. They'll molon labe after that!"

User Info Menu

Still waiting for my call sign... hope it appears today or tomorrow. Got the handheld programmed with CHIRP to include all the 2M and 70CM repeaters in the nearby area. Also in the process of moving out of the valley and up to higher elevation on a hill... house already has two masts for antennas so I guess I'll buy a large omnidirectional antenna and probably a yagi directional antenna and antenna rotor since I am more or less midway between Louisville and Cincinatti and would like to reach those areas.

Once I get my general class license I'll start having a lot more fun with some HF stuff though.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the hobby. I am an avid homebrewer. Most of my stuff is either restored vintage or homebrew made by me. I do have some of the cool new stuff too. It's an awesome hobby. I work all bands, all modes. And can run full legal limit on most bands when needed.

W9AMR

User Info Menu

Welcome to the hobby! I got my Technician license through that same class. I don't get on air nearly enough, I need to take some emcomm classes and get more involved in storm spotting. KC9WLQ
    Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Get outta my damn yard.......
    Quote Originally Posted by db1959 View Post
    The wind likes to blow my balls around.
    I will not give, not one more inch. No more compromise. From my cold dead hands.

GOA Member

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. --Thomas Jefferson

A HAM with a radio, and nothing to say.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Welcome to the club. Kb9szy here

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    Still waiting for my call sign... hope it appears today or tomorrow. Got the handheld programmed with CHIRP to include all the 2M and 70CM repeaters in the nearby area. Also in the process of moving out of the valley and up to higher elevation on a hill... house already has two masts for antennas so I guess I'll buy a large omnidirectional antenna and probably a yagi directional antenna and antenna rotor since I am more or less midway between Louisville and Cincinatti and would like to reach those areas.

Once I get my general class license I'll start having a lot more fun with some HF stuff though.
    If you tested in Franklin, you had one of the best teams in the state. On the down side, they are a ARRL VE testing team. The ARRL VEC takes FOREVER to get your paperwork sent to the FCC...I have seen ARRL results come back in 10 days and I have seen ARRL results take three weeks. So don't get impatient...it'll come. If you live close enough you ought to join the Midstate Amateur Radio Club there in Franklin. They meet at the REMC building on US 31 but you knew that.

Dayton hamvention is 3 weeks away, it's a great hamfest and is now in Xenia Ohio. You should go and sit in on some fo the forums and buy an HF rig.

73 de PistolBob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast