• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Some of you may have noticed I've been pretty scarce around here for several months. Just wanted to stop in and say hello. Between work and home, haven't had a lot of time for my favorite website (yes INGO!).

My mom has been having some cognitive issues, she's 87. It got to the point where my siblings and I together decided that Mom just needed more assistance than she was getting at home, and she wasn't open to having a stranger come in to provide assistance and live there during the week. We tried that with my dad in his final years, and things started disappearing from the house, which understandably left a bad taste in my mom's mouth.

We moved her into an assisted living center. Now she's been having gradually more serious cognitive issues. Her neurologist told us it may be early stages of Alzheimer's, but the tests for that are very expensive, and even if they come back positive, there is not much they can do.

It is a lesson in patience for me, someone who has never had much in that department. My mom was a school teacher, a very sharp and intelligent person, her students really loved her, although she was a tough teacher. It's hard for her, because she sees it happening to herself. It's hard for me, because she will ask you the same question 20 times in an hour. I told my dad I would take good care of my mom, sometimes its tough to remain calm and kind, but it's not her fault, that's mine, and I am learning, albeit slowly. Thank God my wife is there and much better at this than I am. I can only imagine how hard it was for her to be calm and understanding with me growing up.

So sorry for the long story, but although I've never met most of you, I consider you my friends. Please keep my mom in your prayers.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    My Mother-in-Law has been in an Assisted Care facility for a little over a year now with Alzheimers. It's a terrible disease. I'll say a prayer for you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Prayers sent. We're getting ready to move my mom (turned 95 today) to assisted living once she gets out of the rehab facility for a hip replacement surgery she had last week. She's started getting a little confused at times, but I think it's just old age rather than dementia. The main reason for moving her is physical rather than mental. Hang in there. I know it can't be easy.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I'm sorry your family is going through this. It is so difficult to see those we love experiencing things that we really can't help do anything about. I'm reminded of Job when he was going through his troubles, how his friends came and for three days didn't say anything, they were just there. Sometimes that's all that we can do is just be there for someone. Prayers for you and your family during this time.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Deep breath and relax when your nerves are shot. Get some help if you can. It's a burden worth bearing when you think of all the times she probably saved your bacon that you don't remember or never even knew about.

I'll keep you and your family lifted up in prayer.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Prayers for you and your loved ones Mark.
    Find peace in the fact that you're doing what's needed to do.
    It's not easy as you've found out but she sounds like a great mom that raised you right.
    The circle of life is going to happen regardless.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I would like to thank each of you for your prayers and kind thoughts. Some of you know what this is like and I'm sure those who do would echo the hope that the rest of you never do. Nothing worse than seeing someone you love go through this.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Stay strong Mark. I have been in your shoes and really appreciate the difficulty. I'm glad your wife is there for you to help you through this impossible time.
    You have my sympathy, and my prayers.

Top Bottom