• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I saw a story about IFD getting a detox sauna to help "cleanse" the fire fighters of all the toxins they are exposed to. I guess their rate of cancer is higher than the general population.

problem is I found no evidence that a sauna eliminates toxins. One study was done by a naturopath college in 2014 but they did not publish results of it. Wonder why. Sauna cleanses are used by over 60% of naturopath "doctors".

any idea on the politics of getting this approved? My guess: injuries from excessive sauna exposure and zero health benefit from "toxin reduction".

they are even putting an exercise bike in there to make people sweat faster :facepalm:

http://wishtv.com/2017/04/19/ifd-picks-up-detox-sauna-to-fight-cancer/

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/nccih-funds-sauna-detoxification-study-at-naturopathic-school/

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I may have miss-understood. I "Assumed" this was for drug abusers.

it's for all the toxins in our bodies, of which sweat glands eliminate < 1% of. Article I posted commented that if you're trying to "melt fat cells" where the toxins are stories you're also going to burn your skin to a crisp in the process. The whole concept is goofy. But their families are super excited about it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Doc, you are clearly in a better place to determine scientific medical benefits than I am, but I would share my experience.

For several years I was a contracted Instrument Tech for chemical plants. Hydrochloric and sulfuric acid, Ammonia, various distillates, solvents, etc. Not like common hardware store varieties, but in concentrations that eat stainless steel hardware and has to run through through glass lined pipes. Even suited up in protective gear, and breathing through a Scott air pack, my body would absorb chemical smells and showering had little effect. My skin would change color, especially from ammonia vapor. Time in the sauna at the local health club would work the chemical smell out and restore the healthy color of my skin.

I have not studied the chemistry of firefighting, but with all the toxins in burning building materials, I have no objection to have a sauna booth at the firehouse, as local leaders budget for the accommodations.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    "Toxins cleanses" just don't work from a biological and physiologial standpoint.

Your body's natural filters, the kidneys and the liver, do that work.

You can't drink potions, you can't spread lotions, you can't wear chelation pads on your feet, wearing magnets on your wrists simply do. not. work.

This is all pseudo-science being fed to science-illiterate people. Kind of like that one guy's stance in the 9/11 truther thread.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Toxins cleanses" just don't work from a biological and physiologial standpoint.

Your body's natural filters, the kidneys and the liver, do that work.

You can't drink potions, you can't spread lotions, you can't wear chelation pads on your feet, wearing magnets on your wrists simply do. not. work.

This is all pseudo-science being fed to science-illiterate people. Kind of like that one guy's stance in the 9/11 truther thread.

...but all the soccer moms on Facebook swear by those things.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    imagejpeg
    Never mind, can't get picture of the makeup gun from the simpsons to show up for some reason.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I could see it being useful for removing toxins and contaminants on the surface/subsurface of the skin, just as a steam cleaner does, but I don't see the internal benefits.

Based on the poorly written article, its to clear their pores and skin of the crap that sticks to them. If the stuff doesnt stay stuck to them/in their pores, it cant be absorbed and cause the cancers.

Top Bottom