• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Just a sad state of affairs when politics is involve.

[video=youtube;8MqTOEospfo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=8MqTOEospfo[/video]

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I guess I'm in denial.
    Science is fantastic, but sometimes they take a leap that goes beyond fact and into assumption, and just because a bunch of people take the same leap doesn't make it true.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Open peer review tends to either draw out or account for those kinds of things.

Science rocks. (And not just geology.)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    That was just a slightly more eloquent than average nerd rant.

Those "Golden Years" of innovation he recalls were a time when we were polluting at a much higher level than we are now. And many more people at that time embraced creation over evolution. By his line of reasoning, we shouldn't have been capable of all those advances. We were more in denial of his truth back then.

It surprises me his vast intellect could have missed such a glaring contradiction, and that my weak science-denying mind managed to catch it.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Woobie, I agree totally! How can someone be so intelligent about certain things, but when it comes down to common sense they lack it completely?!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A lot about science is, "we know what we know, and it's an indisputable fact."

Until a later time when it's proved to be wrong.
    This ^^^

Just in case you missed it, That up there ^^^^^

Many conclusions have been made in the past based upon sound scientific process & reasoning, until new information is discovered and we find out just how wrong we were...

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    This ^^^

Just in case you missed it, That up there ^^^^^

Many conclusions have been made in the past based upon sound scientific process & reasoning, until new information is discovered and we find out just how wrong we were...

And then science is like "Oh, our bad!"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Also keep in mind that scientists are just as prone to a complete lack of self-awareness as anyone else. Many of them grossly overestimate their knowledge and ability to address topics outside of their working field. A few years ago, an engineer friend of mine and I had a bit of a run-in with a geologist who was preaching the gospel of man-made global warming, who then branded us science-deniers when we challenged him to produce actual evidence. He was so far out of his depth that it was amusing, but his pride would not allow for the possibility that he just wasn't as smart as he believed he was.

In this case, though, I think the prime factor is that de Grasse Tyson's political religion is first and foremost in his brain. If there were a hoax of similar proportions to man-made global warming that instead was in the field of astrophysics, I have zero doubt that he would profess it to be The Truth . . . as long as it was endorsed by his political peers.

Sometimes deliberate ignorance is the answer rather than intellectual insufficiency. Sometimes "deliberate ignorance" is really just lying because . . . wait for it . . . drum roll . . . for those people, the ends justify the means. Always. ALWAYS.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have never liked Mr Tyson PhD because in his science is everything, and denying that we humans are warming the planet, fails to address the fact that Indiana was once under a one mile thick sheet of ice. Think about that, a one mile thick sheet of ice!!!! The warming earth caused the melting and withdrawal of the ice floes, but man wasn't there at that time to cause that, so he denies the facts as he likes to point out, ignores that the earth warming is a natural cycle, and goes one with that which he is arguing against.

Sorry Neil, Factories and auto emissions weren't around during the ... ICE AGE.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't dismiss physicians, lawyers, engineers and scientists who think that they are smarter than everyone else. I just am skeptical of their conclusions. Those who are willing to consider their own human failings and still have open minds, have my respect.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Science was caused by the government. Do the research, the answer is out there. . . . .fire isn't enough to bring down a modern skyscraper.. . . . . . . :runaway:

Crap wrong thread. Never mind.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    What a pompous ass.

OK, Neil. Tell me about the research done at East Anglia and how NASA used their research and tried to replicate their findings and could not? Oh, East Anglia was hacked and it was found that they falsified their findings. But it was evil hackers working for the Russians.

Or the water temperature research that found a .04º total rise. Oh again the method was flawed.

If the science is settled, why would the "Scientists" need to falsify the data?

You described the scientific method, but do not hold the believers to it.

ETA: I just posted this - the first line on the video. Then I read a bunch of the comments, WOW, what idiots!

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IMHO the model to hold in mind to represent a scientist of intelligence, integrity and scientific rigor without pomposity is Richard Feynman, not Neil DeGrasse Tyson

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Not a big fan of Tyson, but the Mike Pence clip was a nice touch.

Ironically, the study of Evolution actually points out where, I think, the problem lies.

The problem isn't in the concept of the tree of life, or that man and ape share a common branch on the tree....

The problem is that the distance between the two limbs isn't as great as we all want it to be.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    If we could break out of the mindset that faith equals anti-science, that'd be great. If we could break out of the mindset that science is not always right, that'd be great. If we could break out of the past myths of science and the Church, that'd be great. If we could stop saying that life may exist on a planet because of water vapor and some gases, which could potentially support life if the right conditions were present (nevermind the fact that it is colder and less sunny than here, but life is what scientists call it, not politicians or abortion activists, I guess)... too much to rant on.

I'm glad plenty of people (here) see past credentials and a splashy SoMe profile.

Top Bottom