• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got a three year old Husqvarna lawnmower which I've not had any issues with. It started yesterday like usual, ran fine and was running fine when it was put back in the garage. We noticed a strong gasoline smell in the garage last night and I looked around but couldn't find the source. I just went out to look again and when I pulled the mower out of the garage I noticed gasoline on the deck.

I can't tell exactly where it's coming from but it looked like it was the fuel line running in to the carb on the left side of the engine. I tried to start it to see if it might start dripping and it acted as if the motor was locked. I lifted the deck and turned the blade a few times by hand which freed up the pull rope but it won't start. I pulled it five or six times then noticed gasoline dripping from the muffler which is on the front right side of the motor (and slightly uphill from the carb as the mower was sitting).

I'm clueless about small engines. I've been considering buying an electric mower but really wasn't planning on spending the money in the near future. What can I do to begin troubleshooting this issue?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How do I go about checking the float? If that's the issue would it cause motor to behave like it was locked up? Just curious if I may have more than one issue on my hands here.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    On a small engine like this, the gas tank is above the carburetor such that there is no need for a fuel pump. The gas simply runs "downhill" to the carb. However, the carburetor needs to be able to meter the gas being mixed with the air and therefore needs to be able to shut off the fuel flow. The fuel bowl is a small supply of gas right in the carb, matbe 1/4 cup, and the carb draws fuel from that to mix with the air. The float keeps the bowl full, but not too full. When the fuel level in the bowl drops, the float...which is floating on the gas, drops down and lets more gas in through a valve. The part of this valve that blocks the fuel flow is the float needle and when the bowl fills up and the float rises on the gas, the needle (mounted to the float) rises and blocks a hole, or "seats" in a hole called the float needle seat.

What we think happened is that a bit of debris got onto the needle or, more likely, in the seat, and kept the needle from seating and prevented the needle from blocking the gas flow by gravity. This can fill up the carb and leak into the engine, causing there to be no space for the piston to move, locking it up. The spark plug needs to be removed to make sure the cylinder is drained of gas and you should check the oil to see if it smells of gas because if gas leaked into the oil sump, it can dilute the oil.

First, I would block the gas flow (I clamp the fuel line if there is gas in the tank). Then make sure the cylinder is clear and check the oil and change if necessary. Usually the float is held on with one special bolt, on the bottom of the carb. Take that off. Is there schmutz in the bowl? Clean it out. You will see the float hang down. Take some carb cleaner (nasty on the skin) and with the straw, see if you can shoot it up through the seat- not at the seat- straw in the hole in direct contact and shooting it through the hole. Visually inspect the needle and clean it off if necessary. This is without removing the float- don't do that unless necessary.

If you find visible schmutz in the float bowl, I would find a convenient place to cut the fuel line and put in a generic small engine fuel filter, but that's me.

Finally, if it won't start but sputters or even kicks back when you try to start it after this, I will ask how hard you pulled on the starter rope when it was locked and we will have a discussion about flywheel keys.

Hopefully not.

Good luck!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I would add to google your specific make and model of engine and you will likely find parts diagrams that will show where things are and what they look like. there are some differences model, to model, but usually not huge ones.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    That was common problem with that mower. we replaced the needle on my friends(wasn't dirt in his just crap parts) and it fixed for a month then same problem. Easy fix put fuel valve inline turn fuel off no problem. I bought mine last year comes with fuel valve from factory never had a problem but I shut fuel off when not in use. I would change your oil regardless if it was that flooded.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Also check your oil, there may be fuel in it if your float was stuck open. It will fill the cylinder with gas. That gas will leak pass the piston rings and into the crank case which may lock up the motor.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    My wife asked me why I check the oil in my 30+ year old snapper before each mowing, this is exactly why. I told her the reasoning but does she ever check the oil before mowing....nope. She also likes to engage the blades at full throttle and also likes to stop and pick up sticks and trash but insists on leaving it at full throttle with no load on the engine. She says that I'm making it too complicated and it just a mower and she knows how to use it :) It's the same mower that I learned how to mow on and it's 95% original parts and I swear she's going to kill it. But then maybe I'll get the Gravely zero turn that I've been eyeing..LOL

Sorry I didn't have anything else to add that hasn't been said

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd get a Gravely catalog and price sheet and leave it out for her to see. If she asks about it just let her know that it will be the replacement when she finally kills your mower.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wife asked me why I check the oil in my 30+ year old snapper before each mowing, this is exactly why. I told her the reasoning but does she ever check the oil before mowing....nope. She also likes to engage the blades at full throttle and also likes to stop and pick up sticks and trash but insists on leaving it at full throttle with no load on the engine. She says that I'm making it too complicated and it just a mower and she knows how to use it :) It's the same mower that I learned how to mow on and it's 95% original parts and I swear she's going to kill it. But then maybe I'll get the Gravely zero turn that I've been eyeing..LOL

Sorry I didn't have anything else to add that hasn't been said

I suggest letting someone besides yourself explain this to her. She will most likely listen.

Works for me. Just saying.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I pulled the bowl and it was spotless. I flipped the bowl & needle valve assembly up & down a few times and it seemed to be working smoothly. Then I pulled the spark plug and drained the cylinder. I checked the oil and it had no smell of fuel and was still nice & thick so I fired it up. She started like usual with a puff of thin smoke and seems to be running like before.

Once again INGO delivers, thanks again Gentlemen.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I pulled the bowl and it was spotless. I flipped the bowl & needle valve assembly up & down a few times and it seemed to be working smoothly. Then I pulled the spark plug and drained the cylinder. I checked the oil and it had no smell of fuel and was still nice & thick so I fired it up. She started like usual with a puff of thin smoke and seems to be running like before.

Once again INGO delivers, thanks again Gentlemen.

If the vent in the cap gets plugged and the tank gets hot it will push some fuel past the needle/seat assembly. This should show up when the engine is ran as it will starve out for fuel. If not......carry on.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What kinda fuel do you run in it? An ethanal blend may have eaten the rubber line from the inside out.
    OP'S problem is solved but I'm going to Denny this thread a little...
    What year is it? 1995? OP says the mower is 3 years old... ethanol has been in gas for a few decades now. Ethanol only eats fuel lines that are not made to be compatible with ethanol. Is it really that plausible that in 2014, over 2 decades after ethanol became "mainstream" in pump gas, a manufacturer like Husky was still using incompatible fuel system products?

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    OP'S problem is solved but I'm going to Denny this thread a little...
    What year is it? 1995? OP says the mower is 3 years old... ethanol has been in gas for a few decades now. Ethanol only eats fuel lines that are not made to be compatible with ethanol. Is it really that plausible that in 2014, over 2 decades after ethanol became "mainstream" in pump gas, a manufacturer like Husky was still using incompatible fuel system products?

It has rotted the fuel lines in my '07 MD trimmer, '11 earthquake edger, '08 earthquake auger, unknown year Poulan blower....all have been replaced numerous times, usually every 2-3 years. The lines get hard and brittle and break in half, usually right where they go through the rubber grommet into the fuel tank.

Top Bottom