• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Guys I've decided that tomorrow is D day. It seems like I've said this a thousand of times but it never sticks. I quit once with Chantex but it kills my stomach so that's not an option this time. I've tried patches and gums without success. I did the vaping for a couple of years and I actually did great with that but I believe it has messed up my hearing in my left ear, so vaping is also out. So I'm going to give cold turkey another shot.

Last year I had an Afib attack in which I had to get shocked back into rhythm. You'd think that would be enough motivation, nope not for me. For awhile now I've noticed myself getting very winded when playing with my kids. The kids are only 3 and 6 so I really need to do this so I can be around for them. I constantly worry that I'm killing myself slowly with every smoke but somehow the addiction just takes over when the cravings hit.

I'm not one to ask for much help but with this I might need to lean on INGO some if anyone wants to listen. I'm thinking I might sign up for that quit now Indiana program as well.

Wish me Luck!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I wish you the best of luck. I came from a family of smokers and lucky never picked up the habit. I have lost to many family and friends to the big C. COPD, heart disease and oll the other ills that follow the habit. Hang tough! You can do it!

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have quit a couple of times. Last time was 15 years ago and I used the patch. It must have stuck this time because I still don't smoke. Still, when I am around others smoking, I get the urge.

The first time I quit, I bought a car and used the money I saved to make payments. Not sure how much cigarettes cost now but a quick google search says about $50 a carton. I was a 2 pack a day smoker so that would be a $300 per month payment on something you really want. Just an idea to give you more incentive to stay off of them.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I quit a month ago.
    Just woke up one day and said todays the day.
    I hit on a vuse a couple of times a day, its a cheap vape they sell at gas stations. I also eat a lot of hard candy.
    Dont get me wrong I still want a smoke especially in the morning with coffee, after i eat, driving, or a stressful day....so all the time.
    But if I can do it so can you, I smoked for 35 years

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I haven't had a cigarette since Friday evening around 6-8pm or so.
    I'm quitting AGAIN. Last time I quit I quit for 3 years. I constantly felt for my Zippo in my Wranglers and searching my shirt pocket"S" for smokes.
    I have the patches here but I figured if I could be stupid enough to smoke the damned things to start with then I have to man-up and take my punishment of withdrawals.
    I grew up on a tobacco farm in TN and been smoking since I was around 7 yrs old. 58 years of smoking.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Keep in mind I never quit smoking. When I needed to drop a bunch of weight, though, and was eating out daily I started dropping the money I normally spent on fast food in a mason jar at the end of the day if I hadn't used it for fast food. That money was reserved for a reward for myself (which was a specific gun). That made it less negative, less about negative (don't do that!) and more positive (you'll get that!).

When I quit drinking, I just quit. I was pretty motivated on that one.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I quit smoking Dec 93. I'd been smoking REALLY cheap generics while I was in Korea (GPC Lights, they were $2.00/carton in the Commissary when there was a coupon.) I got up one morning and couldn't breathe. That was it for me after 13 years. A lot of Big Red gum helped.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Quitting was a lot easier for me once I did it for the right reasons. Cold turkey and never looked back. Sounds like you're in the same place I was when it finally stuck. Congratulations!

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Prayers for you, I quit 15 years ago and am still happy every day that I did. I chewed a lot of toothpicks and gum to get trough it. My friends kidded me that it wouldn't be cancer that got me but Dutch elm disease :D

I love BBI's idea of taking the money you would spend on it and saving up to get yourself an awesome treat

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Thanks for well wishes it means a lot. I feel that I'm cheating a little but historically I've had better luck the 1st day by having a couple in the morning. So I saved a couple for my morning drive to work. Now that is done and the challenge starts at 7am! As long as I can make through the work day I'll be home free(at least for today) as lately I haven't smoked while I'm at home. I used to be around a pack and half day smoker but for the last several months I've been at a half or less pack. My hope is that this makes it a little easier but probably not. I just can't let myself talk me into the just a couple more tomorrow morning and the next and the next.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I promise you the longer you go without smoking the easier it will become. It won't feel like that in the beginning but you WILL get over a hump and then it will really be all downhill from there. Stay Strong!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thanks for well wishes it means a lot. I feel that I'm cheating a little but historically I've had better luck the 1st day by having a couple in the morning. So I saved a couple for my morning drive to work. Now that is done and the challenge starts at 7am! As long as I can make through the work day I'll be home free(at least for today) as lately I haven't smoked while I'm at home. I used to be around a pack and half day smoker but for the last several months I've been at a half or less pack. My hope is that this makes it a little easier but probably not. I just can't let myself talk me into the just a couple more tomorrow morning and the next and the next.

Anyone can quit smoking once they get past the denial that they can quit anytime they want.
    I have health motivations so I can be here for my youngest son. He needs me.

I know I'm a rude old azzhole and I figure it's like this. You either smoke or you don't smoke. (not what I originally keyed in but I'm sure a Mod or two might be looking in. I promised that Mouse fella I'd behave. Maybe not promised but I kinda hinted at it and it is a family show)
    Thankfully we live in America so we have those choices.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    15 years and counting, cold turkey is the only way.

It's all mental, you can only quit smoking when YOU decide to quit.
    Stop giving yourself excuses.

Good luck.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I quit chewing cold turkey 3.5 weeks ago. I had tried one other time without lasting success and had been chewing for 30+ years. I just said I'm done and that was it. After 3 days, cravings were gone. I truly believe I am done this time. Good luck to you.

Dirty Steve

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Not easy but can be done. After several false starts, one lasting seven months, I quit cold turkey. After a few days it didn't bother me and eventually I couldn't stand the stinky smell of tobacco smoke. Kept me out of bars and restaurants a lot. It's been 48 years now. Don't think I'll be going back.

Top Bottom