• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Well, the short story is that I purchased some property that has a house trailer sitting on it. Vacant for years. And never really hooked up to anything anyway. The deal was, the seller was supposed to remove it. Has not, and apparently is not going to. I just want the darn thing gone. Haven't been inside of it to know the condition, but can't think it's much. Any ideas on how to get rid of the thing?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, the short story is that I purchased some property that has a house trailer sitting on it. Vacant for years. And never really hooked up to anything anyway. The deal was, the seller was supposed to remove it. Has not, and apparently is not going to. I just want the darn thing gone. Haven't been inside of it to know the condition, but can't think it's much. Any ideas on how to get rid of the thing?

Pay to have it hauled away and sue the previous owner for breach of contract to recoup the cost?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Pay to have it hauled away and sue the previous owner for breach of contract to recoup the cost?

my guess is it's a verbal statement

What happens when you buy a home and the old owner's stuff is still in there?

Can you donate it to a charity? You may call some local trailer parks and see if they want it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    See if local fire department wants to practice putting out a trailer fire, advertise "free scrap metal" for remainder?

There are places that scrap them out. I pass one on US 421 near Francesville-Lacross area. Or just put it on Craigslist and list it for free, they haul it away.

You could bury it and make it a prepper station.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    The initial contract was written. However, my attorney advises me that since that contract was not noted when the land was deeded to me, it becomes null and void. So, it seems that I've just become a free place for them to store their stuff. He also says I will not be able to force them to pay to have it removed, which I think is a crock, but such is life.

As for selling it for anything but scrap, I have no title to the trailer either. And from what I can see, the owner hasn't been paying the property tax due on the trailer, so I don't want it put in my name or I become liable for the back taxes.

Lesson learned in making sure I have things covered legally! Good old hindsight!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The initial contract was written. However, my attorney advises me that since that contract was not noted when the land was deeded to me, it becomes null and void. So, it seems that I've just become a free place for them to store their stuff. He also says I will not be able to force them to pay to have it removed, which I think is a crock, but such is life.

As for selling it for anything but scrap, I have no title to the trailer either. And from what I can see, the owner hasn't been paying the property tax due on the trailer, so I don't want it put in my name or I become liable for the back taxes.

Lesson learned in making sure I have things covered legally! Good old hindsight!

So what I take away is:

Its technically not yours
    Its on your property
    You cant sell it because you dont have a title
    You cant take ownership else you owe back taxes.

So what does your attorney say you CAN do? Move it to the corner of your lot out of the way and wait for it to rot away? This reminds me of one of those squatter situations where somebody comes home from vacation to find squatters and are told posession is 9/10 of the law and there isnt much the homeowner can do.

Can you call the tax authority and have it confiscated/sold to cover the tax bill like they do houses?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So as there are taxes owed on this and you move it/give it away/cut it up will you be held liable for the back taxes.

Darn thing just burst into flames one night. :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So as there are taxes owed on this and you move it/give it away/cut it up will you be held liable for the back taxes.

Darn thing just burst into flames one night. :dunno:

No but as convoluted as the law is, I could see him being prosecuted for theft for selling/giving away something that wasnt officially titled in his name.

Previous land owner: "Where's my precious trailer? That was mine! SEE! Here is the title! I AM OWED THE FULL VALUE OF MY STOLED PROPERDY!!!!!! PAY UP, SUCKER!!!!"

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill

Wouldn't any back taxes be owed on the property, and the trailer would just be an improvement on that property?

I'd list it on Craigslist, as is no title.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Too late for OP, but for others in a purchase situation where the seller is supposed to do something after the closing, I suggest your attorney put a "holdback escrow" for a specific amount in the contract. The wording would spell out what the seller is to do, and a date by which he is to do it, and that the escrow money is forfeited to the buyer if seller doesn't perform by that specific date.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Dealing with deadbeat tenants and squatters in this area means I have to keep anything that has worth for 30 days. Then it is considered debris and I can do as I want. Talk with some people who deal with these things in Wabash county to be sure they are the same. Local judge has made changes of late around here which sticks it to the homeowner in a bad way.

Show proof that you tried to contact the previous owner. Hold for the time frame needed. Sell to re-coup your storage fees only, you aren't trying to make money just covering what the previous owner would have to pay for storing the items.

Not a lawyer, not a professional, not even all that witty.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I don't understand how there can be back taxes on the trailer but not the land? Any back taxes are dealt with at closing. Since you now own the land, you now own the trailer. Put an ad on craigslist for scrap metal and it will be gone quickly.

If you can haul it to the alley near my rental, it will be gone in 5 minutes!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The initial contract was written. However, my attorney advises me that since that contract was not noted when the land was deeded to me, it becomes null and void.
    This confuses me. If the original contract (purchase agreement?) had them responsible for removing it, but it was unaddressed at closing (?), that's a messed up situation, but not unresolvable. Plus, if the original contract was null and void (superseded?) I would suspect the transfer documents include language referring to any remaining personal property or "appurtenances." That stuff usually transfers at closing, unless otherwise specified. That would make it yours.

Ask another attorney in the area to review the transaction. I think the paradox you describe should be resolvable.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had a similar issue with an old boat left at my place. Rather than hassle with trying to get the seller to move it (which may be the best thing for you), I contacted the seller and got his permission to dispose of it (in a text) and then advertised it for free on Craigslist. In the end, a guy recovering from cancer wanted a project and he came and got it. I signed a bill of sale and an affidavit that allowed him to get a title and that was that. I could not be happier.

Maybe take a look at this.

: Manufactured/Mobile Homes

Top Bottom