• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Rigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone tried to fill their mower tires with some type of foam? I have a big ztr mower and front tires constantly get knicked up and leak air. I had an idea to try filling them with spray foam you use around windows and doors. I checked around on the webs and it sounds like people have tried it with some success. Wondered if anybody here had experience with it before I try it on mine.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    That green tire slime stuff worked pretty well on my car tire. I've seen smaller bottles with a picture of a lawn tractor on it. In cars it's only supposed to be temporary but since you're not going to be doing over 50 with a lawnmower, you could probably keep it in there.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My experience with run flat style tires is that they increase rolling resistance considerable. Put some slime or similar product in your tires and that'll probably take care of the problem. It works on ours!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've run slime in my lawn tractor for a couple of years. Works great. Something like 24-32 ounces for a large rear tire, less for a smaller tire.

Big Rigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The problem with the slime is that it's still just a thin layer on the inside that can be pierced just as easily as the tire rubber. I really want a tire that you could stab holes in all day long and it still would hold its shape. The tires on the front of ztr mowers aren't all that robust to begin with.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Careful what you put in the tires. when I was in the shop I had to give owners the bad news several times that they needed a new wheel after running fix-a-flat in a lawn tire for a few years. Unfortunately I can't help with what kind of fix-a-flat or how long but the rim had rusted through from the inside. Plus it really pisses off the guy that has to change the tire eventually.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Yes, this is what I was referring to. A lot cheaper than buying a whole new tire and wheel, but hadn't seen much evidence that it will work very well for how much of a mess it will create.

buddy down the road did it 4 years ago and has never had a flat since......he uses his rider as a bushhog!!!.....hog briers and all....

Top Bottom