• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    That is a lot of eye candy. I always take note of the big rigs on 65 south of Indy. There are some exceptional pieces of machinery out there on a daily basis.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    FYI, I opened this thread right after he posted it. Took me a while to go over each picture.

Good thing I ain't wearing pants.

Those are some sweet rigs. I'm starting to dig the cab-overs. That is one truck I've never driven.

These guys have some SERIOUS cash in these trucks.

Thanks for the pictures Miller.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    FYI, I opened this thread right after he posted it. Took me a while to go over each picture.

Those are some sweet rigs. I'm starting to dig the cab-overs. That is one truck I've never driven.

f35b0208252801e855f3a316c103bc66_eww-face-meme-eww-gross-meme_236-275.jpeg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

You're the man who would know, but how come cabovers are so rare these days?
    When I was a youngster in the 1970s and 1980s, they were the norm and so-called conventional tractors were about as common as cabovers are today.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was a youngster in the 1970s and 1980s, they were the norm and so-called conventional tractors were about as common as cabovers are today.

Every time I hear the term "cab-over" I think of that old "Convoy" song from back then. "There's cab-over Pete with a reefer on and a Jimmy haulin' hogs."

[video=youtube;Sd5ZLJWQmss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss[/video]

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

They went away in the US due to workmans comp. Yep. Companies got tired of out of shape drivers falling down trying to get in and out of the cab. It's a straight up and down climb.

If you look at other parts of the world, cab overs are still very common. The shorter wheelbase means less weight and tighter maneuverability. They actually have great aerodynamics, especially when compared to our long nose "classics" over here.

Here is a Euro cabover.
    142b0d6923687fe9e984d51c5ae62371.jpg

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I don't know of one person who ever drove a cabover (GMC Astro or Mack day cab) with horizontal exhaust on a regular basis that waxes eloquently about any part of the experience in those tractors; and I know quite a few of them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for posting, really gorgeous stuff. Like many others, I find the cab-overs visually appealing (really like the KW starting in pic 12). Never thought about the climbing in and (falling) out aspect, just glad I'm not the one who has to polish all that chrome

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Every time I hear the term "cab-over" I think of that old "Convoy" song from back then. "There's cab-over Pete with a reefer on and a Jimmy haulin' hogs."

[video=youtube;Sd5ZLJWQmss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss[/video]

Lol, I had that 45. For you yoots that was the smaller record.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There's an old, I'd say 50's era Mack sitting in a driveway just down the street from me. It's been there long enough that there's a tree growing up thru the 5th wheel. MAN I'd love to have that thing but the realitys of owning it are just too great. It appears to be complete and solid. . . If that lottery check from Liberia ever arrives:drool:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Cabovers are awesome, I spent a lot of time in a International that was Cummins powered with a 5in. stack.

They don't had much weight over the steer axle and tend to push when turning tight, not to mention horrible ride and cramped seating area, lots of noise as you are sitting on the side of the motor. Worse yet is the safety factor as when in a crash you have nothing protecting you. It was a cool era of trucking.

I had a friend get his finger ripped off when his wedding ring got caught as he jumped down from the truck, ugh.

Top Bottom