Buku Police Activity on My Street Tonight, and Then Some!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Shortly after I arrived home tonight, a swarm of police cars and a sheriff's helicopter converged upon my street, officers in squad cars from my town of Munster and the neighboring towns of Highland, IN and Lansing, IL. There were officers on foot running back and forth down the street and in the neighboring schoolyard, intently looking for someone. It appeared that they had captured someone at the end of the block where there were about 5 or 6 squads with lights on, but others on foot continued searching, Lake County Sheriff helicopter circling overhead for about 20 minutes.

I posted something about the commotion on Facebook, after which a friend of mine whose son lives in Lansing, happened to see my FB post. He then called and told me that his son got a very close view some of the events that preceded the police activity on my street. I don't know too much about what happened, but this is what I do know.

On my way home from work, I was driving down one of the main north-south streets through town, Hohman Avenue, same as I do every work night on the way home. About one block further south from where I turn off is a main east-west street through town, called Ridge Road. From where I turned, I could see a lot of police activity at the Ridge-Hohman intersection, one block south, maybe 5 or 6 police cars with lights on. Shortly after that, about 5 minutes after I got home, I noticed the Lake County Sheriff's helicopter circling overhead getting lower and lower until it was almost directly over my house.

The police activity at Ridge and Hohman was apparently the result of a hit-and-run crash caused by a stolen car, I don't know if the police were chasing it when the crash occurred. The stolen car continued down Ridge road and until it crashed into a building down the street in Lansing, Illinois. A Munster officer followed to the crash, then chased the guy on foot and tackled him and got into a scuffle / wrestling match. That happened either in the yard of my friend's son, or in a neighboring yard. The officer asked for help at which point my friends son laid a pretty devastating blow to the head of the bad guy, and then the cop knocked the crap out of him too. That guy will be recovering from a doozy of a headache tonight in jail. Apparently there was a another guy in the stolen car who ran away on foot, back toward Munster, and apparently ended up at the north end of my street where officers now pursuing from Lansing, IL, Munster, IN and Highland, IN all converged. Whether they captured the guy I don't know. The helicopter either touched down on the grass at the end of the block, or if not, it got so low to the ground that the houses at the end of my street blocked my view of it. I'm sure it will be on the news shortly. I'll be watching tonight.

Hasn't been so much excitement on my block since the flood of 2008.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Just fyi: it's beau coup. French words. Used in the 'Nam by the French who were there before the U.S. joined the fray.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just fyi: it's beau coup. French words. Used in the 'Nam by the French who were there before the U.S. joined the fray.

That may be it's origin of the common day slang, and agree that it came from Vietnam, but the the spelling buku is recognized as common slang in America. The spelling of some words changes with time, especially when taken from other languages. Color in America is Colour in Canada, as an example. And beau coup in France is buku in America. So thanks for the history lesson, but we aren't in France (or do you say ain't? ).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Merci, but G.I.'s used the word (so did I) in the late 60's, as well in RVN. I believe it is one word, not two.

One word.It's apparently used in the US with the French spelling.
    But I understood "buku" as well, close enough to how it's pronounced in French.

beaucoupˈbəʊkuː/
    adjective US informal

adjective: beaucoup

• many or much.
      "beaucoup profits are at stake"

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    One word.It's apparently used in the US with the French spelling.
    But I understood "buku" as well, close enough to how it's pronounced in French.
    In Nam, I heard it pronounced boo coo. I wasn't concerned about the OP's spelling. I got it!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    So what was all the police activity? Did they arrest the suspects?

I know they got two of them, but there were more, I don't know how many. I don't know if they got the guy who they were chasing on my street. They got one guy less a block from the hit and run, because when I went to get a haircut yesterday, my barber told me he saw the cops tackle a guy right across they street from the barber shop in a churchyard across the street. And I know they got the guy who crashed and ditched the car in Lansing. I've been watching the local news, haven't seen anything yet, but will post a link if I do.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I know they got two of them, but there were more, I don't know how many. I don't know if they got the guy who they were chasing on my street. They got one guy less a block from the hit and run, because when I went to get a haircut yesterday, my barber told me he saw the cops tackle a guy right across they street from the barber shop in a churchyard across the street. And I know they got the guy who crashed and ditched the car in Lansing. I've been watching the local news, haven't seen anything yet, but will post a link if I do.
    When I really want to get the scoop on local news, I don't read the local paper, turn on the computer, listen to the radio (They still have these don't they?) or watch local tv. I ask my barber. I'm serious as a heart attack.

Top Bottom