• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So far, I've watched all of Iron Fist (my introduction into the Defenders - didn't understand why it got panned; I liked it), and am in the middle of the first season of Daredevil. I've got Jessica Jones and Luke Cage queued up on my watchlist. They make good hotel viewing in the evenings when I'm traveling. Hopefully, I can get through enough of the origin stories, before this series is released.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So far, I've watched all of Iron Fist (my introduction into the Defenders - didn't understand why it got panned; I liked it), and am in the middle of the first season of Daredevil. I've got Jessica Jones and Luke Cage queued up on my watchlist. They make good hotel viewing in the evenings when I'm traveling. Hopefully, I can get through enough of the origin stories, before this series is released.

I know your sensibilities (I think), Chip - what do you think of these? Like I said, I haven't gotten into them, but I WANT to like them.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I know your sensibilities (I think), Chip - what do you think of these? Like I said, I haven't gotten into them, but I WANT to like them.

It took me forever to watch Daredevil, even though it had been recommended to me, because I was really turned off by Ben Affleck's portrayal. (I was also busy watching other things, such as Marco Polo, The Last Kingdom, Game of Thrones, etc., in the little bit of television/movie-watching time that I have.) Then I saw the trailer for Iron Fist, and thought it looked like something worth giving a shot. They're nothing as good as Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, or House of Cards (the first season or two), and I enjoyed Marco Polo quite a bit more. I would put them about even with The Last Kingdom. They are better than some other series I've tried, such as Deadwood (at least, the later seasons).

I think Netflix does a good job producing these series. They go for a gritty/visceral production quality, and do a nice job of developing the characters. (As I'm also picking up on, they seem to do a good job interweaving the story lines.)

I really know nothing about the characters, or their back stories, since I am not much into comic books in general, or the Marvel universe in particular. Even so, watching Iron Fist and Daredevil, I have enjoyed learning about the characters, the stories, and their origins - at least, enough so to keep watching. I would classify them as summer tentpole-type series. They're pure entertainment value, and a nice distraction while eating dinner in my hotel room.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It's hard to get into Jessica Jones at first. It takes several episodes to really get into the story arc. All she does in the first several episodes is drink, sleep, and ****.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It's hard to get into Jessica Jones at first. It takes several episodes to really get into the story arc. All she does in the first several episodes is drink, sleep, and ****.

Well, now you have my attention...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Luke Cage was passably good. Iron Fist sucked big time.

Agreed. I enjoyed Luke Cage (I think I still need to watch one or two episodes), but I can't believe how bad Iron Fist was. When I was half way through the first episode, it was moving so slowly it was hard to stay awake. I watched the entire first season hoping something would actually happen, but for the most part nothing happened. Waste of time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Luke Cage was passably good. Iron Fist sucked big time.

Luke cage was okay. Not awesome, or great. But okay. Iron Fist was watchable. It could have been better written. And I guess it suffered from plot holes like many super-hero stories. You give the hero these awesome powers, and then to make the story sufficiently long and sufficiently interesting, you have to work into the plot why they can't just use that awesome power to defeat everyone. And the writers of Iron Fist did a terrible job of that. Some of the fight scenes were just horribly inconsistent with established abilities.

Top Bottom