• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I'm in the market for another basic cooler... for FOOD. I am NOT spending hundreds of dollars on a cooler that only gets used a few times a year. Any suggestions on where to buy and what? This will take care of freezer food during our move. Afterwords it'll get used sparingly during vacations to the blue ridge.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Just get one of the cheap Styrofoam coolers. When I go up to Wisconsin to visit family I bring one with me. I toss what I am bringing back in there and it works great for the trip back.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Coleman. If you need longevity go to Meijer and buy a block of dry ice.

Just beware dry ice will freeze your sh** solid more than you know if you use too much. I have access to dry ice pellets at work. I thought I would be clever and grab a couple pounds for the drive up to the vacation cottage so I tossed them in a garbage bag and put them in w the food. Got there and it worked great, and I even had plenty of dry ice left!

Trouble is the entire cooler's contents were frozen solid, even though it was filled with only refrigerated goods. Everything, including the 2 gallons of milk, were frozen solid. :faint:

It all worked out in the end, but for a minute I was concerned.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I bought a huge one 10 years ago and it still works great for your needs. Went to walmart and bought the biggest one. I don't mind adding ice, I do mind spending $400 on a mid-sized cooler

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    RTIC, buy once/cry once.

Agreed. My brother bought a RTIC last year and took it camping for a week in July and it held ice fantastically. I would love to see a true side by side test between it and a yeti.. Yeti's are way over priced. We have a couple coleman 52gt coolers we take to the race track with us. They do pretty well but we almost always have to add ice.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Wheels. Yes, you can put a non-wheeled cooler on a cart but if you have to go get the cart first it won't be worth the hassle so you'll end up just lugging the heavy, awkward cooler. Having a cooler with built-in wheels is very convenient.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    Agreed. My brother bought a RTIC last year and took it camping for a week in July and it held ice fantastically. I would love to see a true side by side test between it and a yeti.. Yeti's are way over priced. We have a couple coleman 52gt coolers we take to the race track with us. They do pretty well but we almost always have to add ice.

I don't have any of the coolers from Yeti, Rtic, Ozark Trail...but i do have tumblers from all three. I can say that I can't tell a difference in the performance between the $10 Ozark Trail or a $35 Yeti. I have an Ozark Trail tumbler at work and it keeps the ice for a good 18-24hrs. I've read similar reviews on the coolers, so I'm not sure the difference in performance justifies the huge difference in price.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't have any of the coolers from Yeti, Rtic, Ozark Trail...but i do have tumblers from all three. I can say that I can't tell a difference in the performance between the $10 Ozark Trail or a $35 Yeti. I have an Ozark Trail tumbler at work and it keeps the ice for a good 18-24hrs. I've read similar reviews on the coolers, so I'm not sure the difference in performance justifies the huge difference in price.
    The Ozark trail tumbler actually bested the Yeti in one test I saw, but Yeti, because I can! Corvette vs, Chevette, both are cars...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

The Ozark trail tumbler actually bested the Yeti in one test I saw, but Yeti, because I can! Corvette vs, Chevette, both are cars...

I saw that test too. Impressive. I actually saved my company big money. They announced as part of meeting minutes they were considering buying RTIC/Yeti tumblers as prizes. I suggested the Ozark Trail because of that test.

I think the RTIC/YETIs are great if you are using them for thier intended purpose. But if you dont NEED to keep a bag of ice frozen for a whole week without replenishment, why spend the money? I think its silly to spend that crazy money when the owner will never be farther than 15 minutes from somebody selling $2 bags of ice or out for more than a weekend which a Coleman can handle easily.

Then again I think its silly for someone to invest in a heavy duty pickup just to commute. But thats none of my business. ;)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, the coleman extreme or the igloo white 5-day (forget what they're called). I will say that if you think you may want to stack the cooler or put something on top of it the Igloo cooler has a much more robust lid. My buddy has a coleman extreme and if you sit on it the lid will start to bend in a little bit. I have an Igloo I got for free second-hand and it has served me well. It's a little old, and the hinges broke off a few years ago, but I've been able to keep it going and it holds ice for a really long time.

Small side-note, for anybody interested in keeping frozen things frozen. I have discovered the "trick" to making your own "ice-packs" that will freeze in your home deep-freeze but keep things actually frozen in a cooler (no need to go get dry-ice, which as noted, will freeze everything else solid). I make salt-water bottles (old pop/Gatorade bottles), but instead of table salt which freezes at -6 degrees, I use potassium chloride which freezes at 11 degrees. The idea is that your freezer can get cold enough to freeze them solid at 11 degrees, but cannot get cold enough to freeze them to -6 (most freezers can't get that low). The problem with using regular ice is that it melts at 32 degrees so it won't actually keep things frozen, it will only keep them cold. The salt-water bottles will keep things frozen solid, and if you have enough of them it can freeze things similar to the dry ice just not as extreme (dry ice is -109). When travelling I will often put frozen foods on one side of a cooler with the frozen bottles and separate things with a couple towels for insulation, then put refrigerated foods on the other side. There is enough "cold" that comes through from the frozen side to keep the refrigerated stuff cold without freezing it, and the best part is there is no water mess from melting ice. Using this method I've been able to keep frozen breastmilk frozen solid for over 36 hrs on a road-trip and I'm sure I could go longer if needed.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

No, I don't have a ego...

Chinese knockoffs get bashed here and most other places, but it amazes me people still recommend RTIC because that's what they are, a shameless knockoff. I wanted to like RTIC, I really did, but that's all they are. A company that robbed the original, they have $0 invested in R&D, they just copied what was done from a company that actually bothered to do research and testing

Top Bottom