• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    So last week, before all of the rain started, I got home and mowed our grass, ate dinner, helped put our little girl to bed, then went outside and finished the yard with the trimmer. The next day I notice a note on my car saying that I was making too much noise that late at night. The note said that my neighbors go to bed at 7pm because they get up at 4am for work and they would like for me to keep the noise down starting at 8pm. They noted that I was making noise at 8:40pm. I'm not sure which neighbor it was because they didn't say. I was NOT trimming with a flashlight, it was still daylight and I was trying to get everything done before the rain came.
    I think that I've ruled out neighbors on both sides of my house, so I think it might be one of the neighbors behind us, but I don't know for certain.
    Anyway, so after I get home from work this gives me very little time to spend time with my family and still be able to do some things done around the house.
    We've lived here for over 2 years without anything like this before.
    I'm a peaceful person by nature and I try to not start anything with people, but this is highly annoying.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I don't know what to say ..... I am a live and let live, type of guy .....

But at midnight, and music is at 99, I get a little irritated .....

You, have to do, what you have to do .....

Take care of lawn, etc., depending on your work hours .....

I wouldn't worry about it .....

Once in 2 years, isn't a biggie ..... imho .....

Do you have a "new" neighbor ?????

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I work nights; I go to bed at 7pm when I have to get up at 1:30am.

While there is something to be said about being a good courteous neighbor...I don't expect my neighbors to cease their life for me, especially in the summer when there is plenty of daylight well into the evening. I would recommend your neighbors get a sound machine, wear earplugs, or both - that's what all of us actual day sleepers have to do with the world going on around us.

I once had somebody come complain to me about the noise I was making shooting on a friend's land. There was a residence about 200yd from where I was shooting and they came by as I was packing up and sarcastically said "Its real easy to sleep after working nights when you're banging away". It was 1 in the afternoon. Told my friend and he said "Next time, shoot something louder".

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Find out who it is and leave a note asking them to push their car down the block before starting it because it disturbs your sleep.Or zip tie your trimmer's throttle wide open and burn a tank of gas.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Tell'em to go pound sand, most noise ordinances don't take affect until 10P.M. They want quiet in everyone else's awake time, maybe they need earplugs!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    We've lived here for over 2 years without anything like this before.
    I'm a peaceful person by nature and I try to not start anything with people, but this is highly annoying.

So other than being a whimp and leaving a note instead of talking to their neighbor what is your problem? It's called communication. So you plan your noisy lawn care to try and finish by 8:00pm. There will be those times when their is impending rain, getting ready for vacation or other stuff that comes up from time to time. If wrapping up noisy stuff by 8:00pm doesn't work for you then just ignore them. Or maybe if they man up and want a real conversation talk to them, if they are back yard neighbors then trim the back yard first and let your house be a noise buffer when doing the front yard after 8:00pm. Sounds like you may need looser panties so they don't twist up right away.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I would have really appreciated it if they would have actually came and talked with me about it, but the fact that I don't know which neighbor it is makes it more difficult to not make noise in that direction. My little girl goes to bed at 7:30, so I already try to finish everything so that she can sleep anyway.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Are you really telling us that you are a member of ingo without surveillance cameras????? So disappointed....

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Maybe a fence would help? Make them pay for half....

That's hilarious! Reading that thread is what prompted me to mention this. We have a fence, but maybe I can put up a big privacy fence and then give them the bill. Since it would help them sleep it's more for them anyway :)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I think all day-sleepers can agree that we don't expect everyone else around us to adjust to our sleep schedules. That's a very snowflake-like thing to expect from strangers. What we do is buy blackout curtains, noise machines, earplugs, sleep masks, fans...whatever it takes to get our ZZ's in. I often work from 1330 till 0400 and sleep till noon so the lawn mowers, leaf blowers string trimmers etc.. at 10am on a Saturday or Sunday get rather annoying. What I do not expect is for the whole neighborhood to adjust to me...the needs of the many and whatnot....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's great to be a nice neighbor if you can be, but I have limited hours to get things done around the house. To me, anything before 10pm and after 7am is fair game.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think all day-sleepers can agree that we don't expect everyone else around us to adjust to our sleep schedules. That's a very snowflake-like thing to expect from strangers. What we do is buy blackout curtains, noise machines, earplugs, sleep masks, fans...whatever it takes to get our ZZ's in. I often work from 1330 till 0400 and sleep till noon so the lawn mowers, leaf blowers string trimmers etc.. at 10am on a Saturday or Sunday get rather annoying. What I do not expect is for the whole neighborhood to adjust to me...the needs of the many and whatnot....

And^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

I'm in your position also. I'm going to take a wild guess that you do NOT sleep with your bedroom window open very often. I don't either. I bet this guy's neighbor wants to enjoy the cool air with his windows open and have it quiet at 8pm.

i'm sympathetic though and would do what I can to accommodate, but not at the expense of ignoring family. As said above, note schmote, if they have an issue come speak about it

Top Bottom