• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Try this guy (Frank Shepherd)... https://www.facebook.com/alignedhomeservicesinc Didn't have him do a deck, but had him fix some siding that was improperly done by someone else, and he did a great job. He also does decks, etc as shown on his Facebook page.

I was referred to him on Next Door, and he worked out well. He lives out in Avon, so should be relatively close to you since you show westside.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    lol.....permit for a deck.....

I built my own a couple years back. 12" footers under the frost line, 6" posts set on metal risers to keep the posts from rotting out. If you're hiring a contractor, make sure they build it right, or it'll rot out in a few years. It's a lot quicker and cheaper to build it wrong and a lot of contractors do just that to keep their cost down and profit high.

(pic is before front steps and landscaping were added)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    lol.....permit for a deck.....

I built my own a couple years back. 12" footers under the frost line, 6" posts set on metal risers to keep the posts from rotting out. If you're hiring a contractor, make sure they build it right, or it'll rot out in a few years. It's a lot quicker and cheaper to build it wrong and a lot of contractors do just that to keep their cost down and profit high.

(pic is before front steps and landscaping were added)

Looks Good! Ours used concrete blocks on concrete footers below grade. I don't have any finished product pictures but will add one later; here's ours during construction:

addition%2018_zpsw8xeasjx.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am just finishing up a deck for a family in Eagle Creek, it is all Trex Transcend, rails and all. By far the biggest, baddest and most expensive deck I have ever done. I will post pics when I get the final pictures. If I had time I would help you out.....I am just so busy doing roofs I don't really have time to do much other than that for next couple of months.

I worked on Murphy's job and Roger the Framer did do nice work.

If you don't find someone let me know and I will try to hook you up with a buddy of mine.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Looks awesome. It's good to see there's still contractors out there that do a good job. The guy who did my neighbors deck did a hack job... Thing is rotted out and it's only been a couple years.

Looks Good! Ours used concrete blocks on concrete footers below grade. I don't have any finished product pictures but will add one later; here's ours during construction:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If it is rotting so soon it is the treated lumber. If you buy from a big box store the lumber is not treated the same as from a reputable lumber yard.

ACQ is the industry standard treatment and there are specific species that it will protect. Menards uses a chemical they call AC2 and species that are not as responsive to the protection, some is even marked "Treated to refusal" which means it is not really treated.

90% of treated lumber today is marked "for above ground use" so don't use that for post that are buried. A good lumber yard can get you treated for fence posts and such.

I am in NWI or I would give you bid.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I need a new deck. (ETA: I just need new decking and skirting)

I cannot afford a new deck.

I has a sad. :(

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup, that contractor used Menards AC2 and sank the posts in the ground. Looks like garbage a few years later.

If it is rotting so soon it is the treated lumber. If you buy from a big box store the lumber is not treated the same as from a reputable lumber yard.

ACQ is the industry standard treatment and there are specific species that it will protect. Menards uses a chemical they call AC2 and species that are not as responsive to the protection, some is even marked "Treated to refusal" which means it is not really treated.

90% of treated lumber today is marked "for above ground use" so don't use that for post that are buried. A good lumber yard can get you treated for fence posts and such.

I am in NWI or I would give you bid.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I am just finishing up a deck for a family in Eagle Creek, it is all Trex Transcend, rails and all. By far the biggest, baddest and most expensive deck I have ever done. I will post pics when I get the final pictures. If I had time I would help you out.....I am just so busy doing roofs I don't really have time to do much other than that for next couple of months.

I worked on Murphy's job and Roger the Framer did do nice work.

If you don't find someone let me know and I will try to hook you up with a buddy of mine.

Shout out to CHCRandy!! His guys did a great job on our roof and did such a good job cleaning up you'd never know a roofing job had been done there!

Top Bottom