• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I have an 11 week old lab and have been working with him and getting great results, already house broken, kennel trained, and sits on command.

My my issue is, that I'm leaving for a fishing trip in Canada in June and will need to board him. (He will get to go next year) I've seen a lot of places that offer boarding school type training and since I need to board him, I figure why not get some training in while he is there, right?

im located in fishers, does anyone have any recommendations? I've looked at a couple, First Friends seems to have great results, but not my preferred methods. (I understand their methods and don't disapprove of them, I just don't feel my labs personality will benefit.) I'm also looking at Alpha K9.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Is there a minimum age to board? We ran into that before but can't recall what it was. Good for you on training. I think dogs enjoy things more when they know how to communicate well with us

Last edited:

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    16 weeks seems to be about the norm, and he will be just about there by the time I leave, but I think where the dog is in their vaccine schedule is the most important.

i agree, my last dog i got in high school was a lab too and we had him for an amazing 15 years and my parents had to put him down last year. Great bird dog and companion. I have 2 kids now a 3yo and 1 1/2 yo, so with going to work every day, getting training in without the kids setting me back every day is tough!!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    First friends taught my lab off lead obedience in one week of in kennel training. This was a dog that I adopted at 1.5 years old who lived on a chain when he got let out. He was a runner....loved trailing rabbits and deer.

I did all the basic training stuff myself on lead and dropped him and a tritronics off when I went to vegas. 7 days later, that dog was completely different for the better. No more bolting. No more anything unless told to do so.

I can't say enough good about Bruce and his staff at first friends.

My next door neighbors left alpha because they are anti e collar if that makes any difference to you.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    First friends taught my lab off lead obedience in one week of in kennel training. This was a dog that I adopted at 1.5 years old who lived on a chain when he got let out. He was a runner....loved trailing rabbits and deer.

I did all the basic training stuff myself on lead and dropped him and a tritronics off when I went to vegas. 7 days later, that dog was completely different for the better. No more bolting. No more anything unless told to do so.

I can't say enough good about Bruce and his staff at first friends.

My next door neighbors left alpha because they are anti e collar if that makes any difference to you.

This.

First Friend K-9 Training                                    317-842-4199 - Dog Training Indianapolis | Home

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I hate posting about what I have heard from neighbors but I'm going to. Neighbor lady left her dog at first friends for a week of training. Said when he came back he had lost a lot of weight but was a much better dog. She had heard some things afterwards and said she won't send another dog there.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Proper dog training is very easy on a dog, their attention span is only about 5min. long, most dog trainers train for 5+-min. 3 times a day and get great results.

When I got out of high school my roommate was a big name dog trainer, I learned a lot from him and seem to have the nack to train great dogs.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    There's a 1000 ways to skin a cat, and just as many ways to train a dog. The hardest part of training a dog, is training the owner.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    I don't know if she's still availabljue, but 20 years ago, she worked out of the Fishers Animal Clinic just North of 116th St on Allisonville Rd. She was very reasonable cost wise and took my 6 mo old yellow Lab beyond the stopping point I encountered. She had him for a week and was a totally different dog. He was more affectionate, obedient and I could get him to learn functions that I had hit a wall with.

Do a little research and I hope you can hook up with her.

Top Bottom