• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    SPECIFICALLY the 2017 navigation system in a 2017 Ford Expedition ... worst navigation system I've ever had the displeasure of being forced to endure.

I rented a brand new 2017 Expedition to haul home my daughters college belonging. It was equipped with their integrated navigation system. I picked up the Expedition at the Greensboro, North Carolina airport on Thursday of last week. Used it to drive around the cities of Greensboro and Winston-Salem, NC. We stayed in Greensboro, but she graduated from Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem which is a sister-city a few miles west. Then drove it home yesterday. Returning it this morning in about 90 minutes so we had plenty of time to use the Navigation system in both urban and highway settings.

• The system will not let you -- or your passenger -- enter an address/destination while the vehicle is moving :doh: Never used a Nav System that forbid you from using it!
    • The system does NOT give multiple driving options. It decides your route, even if it's wrong and directs you there. Most other system I've used give you 3 options and let you choose which is your preference.
    • The system, when set to the scale of "5 Miles/Inch", the map does not display any roads other than Interstate highways :(
    • The system, when set to the scale of "5 Miles/Inch", the map does not display any cities smaller than Louisville, Chicago, etc. making it difficult to determine your relative location FYI there are a lot of cities that dot our nation between Winston-Salem, NC and Chicago :(
    • The "arrow" that represents your vehicle is not centered in the screen, if fact if you are traveling north the arrow shows a map that displays the arrow about 60% up from the bottom of the screen. That means you see more of where you have been and less of where you are going. WTF!!!
    • Because of the way it displays turns, I missed several turns in cities by turning too soon. The map on the dash shows you making the turn at the intersection so if you glance at the map and turn, but there are MULTIPLE places to turn, you end up turning too soon. It should show the multiple intersections (like other systems show) and show you which turn to make (like other systems show) :xmad:
    • Despite being a BRAND NEW vehicle the MAPS were OUTDATED ... WTH?

There are other deal killers but the above list shows some of the highlights of the bad system.

Seriously if this was my vehicle instead of a rental I'd have ripped this out of the dash and sent it bouncing along the roadside after heaving it out the window of the moving vehicle long ago and would be replaced with an aftermarket ALPINE or SONY unit :ar15:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Most of the built in Nav systems are junk compared to standalone, much less phone-based, systems. The problem is it's designed a year or two beforehand and sticks around for a few years unupdated rather than continuous improvement like your phone. Pretty much the same story in my wife's '15 Prius that shares the same system as my mom's '13 and step-dad's '11. ease of use is about on-par with the Palm-PDA based thing I had back around 10-12 years ago.

Course the Prius' biggest facepalm is the screen's tiled forward and positioned forward of the edge of the windshield with no recess/shroud so it's basically useless most of the time anyway.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Most of the built in Nav systems are junk compared to standalone, much less phone-based, systems.
    I would disagree.

I've got 4 vehicles with built in Nav systems (2 VWs + 2 Audis). All 4 are vastly superior to my Garmin. And quite honestly all 3 are superior to every phone-based system I've used.

The best of them have dual screens, one in the center dash and another in front of the driver, which stand alone and phone systems. The best of them show multiple roads at intersections to make sure you turn at the correct point. The best of them show complete roundabouts with correct directions. They mute the radio during instructions, which stand alone and phone systems cannot do. 2 of mine update the maps automatically via satellite links.

Its impossible for a phone system or a stand alone Garmin to do what the better built in Nav Systems can do.

A marginal/average built in Nav System is no better/worse than a stand alone/phone system on most things.

A bad Nav System is miserable.

For this trip we were using both iPhone and Ford systems.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The Sync 3 in my 2017 Escape works fine. Though I use google maps from my phone to the touchscreen. I didn't need to opt for a more expensive thing when my phone does it just fine and shows up on the screen.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I thought we were going to get to see a picture of his new Ford in a lake!:laugh:

342B214400000578-0-image-a-1_1463261761148.jpg

This Woman's GPS Told Her to Drive Into a Lake and She Listened

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Actually, if I use the Google maps app and leave it bluetooth connected, it will mute my radio to announce things (if I let it).

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Heck. Made it across the lower 48 several times in a semi using one of these....
    truckers-atlas-large-scale-versus-deluxe-comparison-dsc06492.jpg

I made a few wrong turns but always found where I needed to go.

If I need the newer technology, Google maps suffices.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I would disagree.

I've got 4 vehicles with built in Nav systems (2 VWs + 2 Audis). All 4 are vastly superior to my Garmin. And quite honestly all 3 are superior to every phone-based system I've used.

The best of them have dual screens, one in the center dash and another in front of the driver, which stand alone and phone systems. The best of them show multiple roads at intersections to make sure you turn at the correct point. The best of them show complete roundabouts with correct directions. They mute the radio during instructions, which stand alone and phone systems cannot do. 2 of mine update the maps automatically via satellite links.

Its impossible for a phone system or a stand alone Garmin to do what the better built in Nav Systems can do.

A marginal/average built in Nav System is no better/worse than a stand alone/phone system on most things.

A bad Nav System is miserable.

For this trip we were using both iPhone and Ford systems.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. The phone based systems ability to stay up to date and take into account actual traffic make them the better option. Android Auto and whatever the Apple version is called are the best of both. They allow you to use your phone app on your car's screen. I just wish Google would integrate Waze into Android Auto

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. The phone based systems ability to stay up to date and take into account actual traffic make them the better option. Android Auto and whatever the Apple version is called are the best of both. They allow you to use your phone app on your car's screen. I just wish Google would integrate Waze into Android Auto

My built in Nav Systems on 3 of my 4 vehicles do that too. Only my oldest (2004) built in Nav does not do that. The 3 newer units all update traffic, construction, accidents, etc in real time. Do automatic re-routing based on road issues, etc.

And still offer the multi-screen integration, more detailed mapping than I get from a phone based system too. The 2 newest integrated Nav Systems utilize Google Street View photos into the directions. The 3 newer systems (not the 2004 vehicle) also feature better intersection views than any phone system I've tried.

That said, this is not really about phone based systems and how they compare (I contend they do not contend well, but that is a different argument). Rather it is about how bad the Ford system is compared to EVERYTHING ELSE available. A child with crayons could provide better maps. Heck Michael J. Fox with his Parkinson's disease could do a better job of making mapping directions than Ford.

The Sync 3 in my 2017 Escape works fine. Though I use google maps from my phone to the touchscreen. I didn't need to opt for a more expensive thing when my phone does it just fine and shows up on the screen.
    Understood that some people choose those systems for economy.

That is, however, not a relevant issue in this thread.

The relevant issue is that the Ford system sucks. Other systems are vastly superior to the Ford system.

Heck. Made it across the lower 48 several times in a semi using one of these....
    truckers-atlas-large-scale-versus-deluxe-comparison-dsc06492.jpg

I made a few wrong turns but always found where I needed to go.

If I need the newer technology, Google maps suffices.

I love maps too! Amazing that kids don't know how to use them.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    My only experience with built-in navigation has been a Toyota system (sucked) and the one in my 2015 Ford Edge (REALLY sucks). I recently picked up a 2017 Chevy Silverado and it doesn't have built-in navigation, but it does have Apple Carplay/Android Auto. In my experience, my iPhone works just fine for navigation, and light years ahead of the crappy Ford system. I think that with the majority of auto manufacturers going to Apple Carplay/Android Auto, built-in navigation will soon be a thing of the past or a special order item. Personally, I don't see any use for built-in navigation, when my iPhone works just as well and has a cleaner interface and far better voice recognition, IMO.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    My only experience with built-in navigation has been a Toyota system (sucked) and the one in my 2015 Ford Edge (REALLY sucks). I recently picked up a 2017 Chevy Silverado and it doesn't have built-in navigation, but it does have Apple Carplay/Android Auto. In my experience, my iPhone works just fine for navigation, and light years ahead of the crappy Ford system. I think that with the majority of auto manufacturers going to Apple Carplay/Android Auto, built-in navigation will soon be a thing of the past or a special order item. Personally, I don't see any use for built-in navigation, when my iPhone works just as well and has a cleaner interface and far better voice recognition, IMO.
    The Toyota/Lexus system apparently is pretty bad. My brother has a Lexus, complains about it, but I've never used it.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about Ford systems, this was my first (and hopefully last) experience with them.

Apple's Car Play may well be the future but Garmin is fighting back and is working with several Auto companies on their mapping systems.

I hear a lot of people say an iPhone/Android phone is just as good. Its been said here. I still strongly disagree. I'd simply say that you have not used a good built in system.

Audi makes an excellent system, I have it on 2 of my cars. Dual screens, satellite updates on roads, construction, traffic, etc. Multiple routes presented so you can choose which to take. Multiple re-routes if you decide to change your plans. Google Street View displayed. PROPER turn instructions and PROPER visual representation of COMPLEX intersections or roundabouts. Ability to scale the map on the fly. Ability to switch from map to satellite image on the fly. Ability enter routes on the fly. Voice command or manual input of commands. Smart look up.

Basically anything a phone system can do, a good navigation system can present better with a bigger image, even dual images simultaneously on dual screens. But I stress, it must be a GOOD navigation system, meaning well engineered. And it doesn't eat up your phone's data package.

All that said, the FORD system is NOT one of the good navigation systems!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    One thing my Garmin has that my iPhone does not: the Garmin works even when there is no cell service. There are plenty of spots right here in Indiana that my cell map app is completely worthless.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Waze is the best I have used to date. I don't think there is anything currently available on this planet that is better. I say that because obviously there is intelligent life on other planets with way better tech. Sorry that belongs in another post but come on people wake up.

That being said on the ford you can buy a bypass unit that will let u makes entries while driving or just put waze up on the car display.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    One thing my Garmin has that my iPhone does not: the Garmin works even when there is no cell service. There are plenty of spots right here in Indiana that my cell map app is completely worthless.

I have found similar 'dead zones' in areas of Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky since I frequently travel through those three states.

Waze is the best I have used to date...
    Lots of privacy issues with Waze.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It drives my fiance bonkers when I look up a route and then put my phone away and just drive it on memory. She's gonna lose it when we go to Colorado or to visit her grandma in Texas.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't have much sat nav experience, but I rented a Chrysler 300C when I was in Los Angeles last fall. The built-in nav on that thing was spectacular. It was dead-nuts accurate. One thing I really appreciated (not knowing L.A.) was that it told me early what lane i would have to be in for the next exit or turn and displayed a graphic that made it unmistakable. In fact, the whole car impressed me...which surprised me.

I rented a different care with a stand-alone system my second trip to L.A. last year and it sucked. Same on the Ford Fusion I rented in Rochester N.Y., but luckily Rochester isn't too difficult to get around.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

You can download one of several navigation apps for your iPhone that includes offline maps. Modern smartphones have built-in GPS receivers and only rely on cellular data for displaying maps on the fly and for real-time data like traffic updates. A navigation app uses downloaded maps with your phone's GPS receiver to display your location without regards to cell service availability.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You can download one of several navigation apps for your iPhone that includes offline maps. Modern smartphones have built-in GPS receivers and only rely on cellular data for displaying maps on the fly and for real-time data like traffic updates. A navigation app uses downloaded maps with your phone's GPS receiver to display your location without regards to cell service availability.
    If I install more apps, I won't have room for selfies.

Top Bottom