• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Need to know more. Where? Is it irrigated? Do you have soil samples or yield history?

I'm not up on the market, but I know that it can range pretty broadly based on those factors (and probably some others)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Nah, I'm not that curious just yet. My daughter and her husband are looking at a house that has four acres currently being used as farm land. I was wondering if it would be worth it to continue leasing it. Personally, it wouldn't be worth it, but it would be their choice.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Nah, I'm not that curious just yet. My daughter and her husband are looking at a house that has four acres currently being used as farm land. I was wondering if it would be worth it to continue leasing it. Personally, it wouldn't be worth it, but it would be their choice.

Good luck finding someone willing to screw around with 4 acres...

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`m old enough to remember when a guy got permission to hunt a farm by knocking on doors. I know, I know...the world has changed. I`m not a fan of the leasing agents, because it seems they price the ordinary guy out of hunting, unless you have a friend or family with ground. Just my opinion though...

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    It's right on the edge of 80+ acres. It's been farmed for quite a while.

You keep leaving details out, whoever farms the 80 is going to be farming your ground, guessing it has had the same soil program so it should be good to go. I would see what they are getting for the 80 acres and knock $40 a acres off that price and you both should be happy.

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    FIL was getting $250/acre plus 20% of crop on 56 acres.
    He has since passed and MIL sold off a lot of property. Now she has a guy farming the remainder for free.
    She regrets that decision every time she pays property taxes.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You keep leaving details out, whoever farms the 80 is going to be farming your ground, guessing it has had the same soil program so it should be good to go. I would see what they are getting for the 80 acres and knock $40 a acres off that price and you both should be happy.

Lol, I don't know what details to add. I've never thought about leasing farm land.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    IANAL......But you might want to look very closely before you rent that. DEPENDING, most people sign contracts to rent. Carefully read the contract. SOME might say something like if the farmer puts down lime or nitrogen he gets to farm that property for "X" amount of years (3-5??), NO matter what, you can't evict him. He may have a contract with the people now that will have to be honored.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sound advice so far. Good chance before you even get to ask, the guy farming it now will approach you about it anyway, and will probably mention his current lease. If you get a good relationship built there now you'll have better times in the future when the lease price needs to keep up with inflation, etc.

Many farmers are willing to pay for all the input costs to work the land, just can't afford to actually buy it outright, so an annual lease helps them out. You won't get rich off a 4 acre lease, but you'll make enough to cover the property taxes + some extra.

Top Bottom