• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Anyone use one or have other ideas? We cannot even let the dogs in and out of the house without a few dozen rushing the door. Sunday we could not get in the car without spraying off at them to make a get away. Unreal!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Anyone use one or have other ideas? We cannot even let the dogs in and out of the house without a few dozen rushing the door. Sunday we could not get in the car without spraying off at them to make a get away. Unreal!

I`ve used the Thermacell hand held appliance for hunting and fishing, and haven`t tied their other products, but they may be great.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Yes, they do work. Use caution and watch for wind shifts. I've gotten boxed in on a couple of occasions, and resulted in a nasty migraine both times.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Last year mosquitoes are so bad I had to fog my backyard before I even mow it. They worked good then and I expect they would work good now.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Yes, but ... I've actually had very good results with a mosquito killer that connects to your hose and you spray it around your yard. Its important to spray it into bushes, flowers, plants, etc where the mosquitos hide. I have woods within 30' of my house and have heavily sprayed the edge of the woods in addition to m lawn, hostas, bushes, etc all around the patio & fenced part of our yard and it worked very well. It also controls ticks. You can buy it at garden centers. Can't recall the name. Haven't bought any yet this year.

It claims to last for 6 weeks? I can attest to using it only a few times last year so its good for several weeks at a minimum. Also heavy rains will wash it away but light rains are not really a problem.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Yes, they do work. Use caution and watch for wind shifts. I've gotten boxed in on a couple of occasions, and resulted in a nasty migraine both times.

Last year mosquitoes are so bad I had to fog my backyard before I even mow it. They worked good then and I expect they would work good now.

So do you have a time when it's best to fog(am/pm)? I assume pm. Do you point it down to cover grass and let it rise? Any tips?

Thanks for the help. It's like an Alfred Hitchcock horror film.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Yes, but ... I've actually had very good results with a mosquito killer that connects to your hose and you spray it around your yard. Its important to spray it into bushes, flowers, plants, etc where the mosquitos hide. I have woods within 30' of my house and have heavily sprayed the edge of the woods in addition to m lawn, hostas, bushes, etc all around the patio & fenced part of our yard and it worked very well. It also controls ticks. You can buy it at garden centers. Can't recall the name. Haven't bought any yet this year.

It claims to last for 6 weeks? I can attest to using it only a few times last year so its good for several weeks at a minimum. Also heavy rains will wash it away but light rains are not really a problem.

Please remember the name!!:runaway:

I was thinking of looking for a liquid for my pull behind sprayer. Thanks

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    For a sprayer, you are looking for a product with an active ingredient named bifenthrin. I use crosscheck plus from lesco. I actually just got done spraying my yard. Ticks are horrid this year and skeeters are a close second.

I'm sure tsc has a generic equivalent.

Like said above, spray the foundation of the house, bushes, grass, trees, mulch, everything.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    For a sprayer, you are looking for a product with an active ingredient named bifenthrin. I use crosscheck plus from lesco. I actually just got done spraying my yard. Ticks are horrid this year and skeeters are a close second.

I'm sure tsc has a generic equivalent.

Like said above, spray the foundation of the house, bushes, grass, trees, mulch, everything.

Thanks, I will look into it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm all for pesticides when they're warranted, but most pesticides are indiscriminant killers. You will lose a number of beneficial insects as well. I try to use them only when there are no other effective options and I can minimize collateral damage.

With that out of the way, have you considered a mosquito trap? There are numerous versions but the most effective outdoor ones are those that burn propane and emit a scent that draws them in then traps them. I was just checking into them today because I think I'm going to need one. I watched a youtube video of a guy that lives in the woods in Michigan. He has a single trap, and from early May to early June he had trapped half a 5-gallon bucket full of them; he estimated well over a million mosquitoes in the bucket. Oh, and just for your concerns about burning through propane, from my research a modest trap running 24/7 will burn through a 20 lb LP tank in 3-4 weeks. IE, less than $1 a day...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm all for pesticides when they're warranted, but most pesticides are indiscriminant killers. You will lose a number of beneficial insects as well. I try to use them only when there are no other effective options and I can minimize collateral damage.

With that out of the way, have you considered a mosquito trap? There are numerous versions but the most effective outdoor ones are those that burn propane and emit a scent that draws them in then traps them. I was just checking into them today because I think I'm going to need one. I watched a youtube video of a guy that lives in the woods in Michigan. He has a single trap, and from early May to early June he had trapped half a 5-gallon bucket full of them; he estimated well over a million mosquitoes in the bucket. Oh, and just for your concerns about burning through propane, from my research a modest trap running 24/7 will burn through a 20 lb LP tank in 3-4 weeks. IE, less than $1 a day...

These are awesome. Expect some sticker shock though. I know guys who live near the woods that swear by them.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I was skeptical on the mosquito count, until I checked and average weight is 2.5mg. So one million is about 5 pounds. Huh.

I am intrigued by these things. Reviews are all over the place, for every model it seems.

Works Great!
    Sucks, don't buy!

https://www.amazon.com/Dynatrap-DT2...0042U6V5C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This seems reasonably priced and decent reviews

From my limited research today the middle & high-end Mosquito-Magnet brand are the cat's-meow, but they also come with a price-tag to suit (IIRC $750 for the most expensive one).

I guess that's the price you pay for not being exposed to nasty chemicals, nor exposing your family, or non-target bugs...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My back yard backs up to 100+ yards of woods with soil that holds/pumps moisture...prime misquito and tick habitat. Evenings are absolute hell - especially with the mild winter we had.

I use Permethrin 32 concentrate and mix in a 2gal sprayer, and spray the grass and woods immediately behind my fence. That seems to have addressed my tick issue and seems to knock down mosquitoes a little bit.

I picked up a small propane powered Cutter fogger from Meijer last week. Runs on camp-style propane cylinders and uses a Cutter chemical. I wear a surgical mask while fogging and it takes 6-7 minutes to do my yard.

Other than the Cutter fogger not having the ability to push the fog into the vegetation in the woods like a backpack blower-type fogger, it does seem to work; was outside about 4 hours the other evening and saw exactly one mosquito on me with zero bites.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    In the past, I've used those little spray bottles that attach to a garden hose that you can get at Lowes. I was amazed at how well that worked. I didn't like to think about what kind of chemicals I'd sprayed all over the yard and this was before kids, but I know the mosquitos went away asap and it lasted most of the summer. It really doesn't get much easier than using one of those spray bottles on the garden hose.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    These are awesome. Expect some sticker shock though. I know guys who live near the woods that swear by them.

I have a Mosquito Trap too. NOT the propane type.

Bought it this year ... but as I said, mine does NOT use propane. I added a scent lure, which should last for about 30 days. The lure scent cost under $10 at Menards. The trap I purchased uses a UV lightbulb (comes with 3 bulbs, 1 is installed + 2 spares). Mine is rated for 1/2 acre. Paid $89 at Costco. Same one is over $100 on Amazon.

Propane traps cost $300 to $400 + 20lbs of propane every month.
    UV light traps cost about $95 + $9 per month for a new scent lure.

Its got pretty good reviews, similar to the reviews of the propane traps. Figure it is worth trying. Figure I can also do the hose end sprayer if the trap is not breaking the breeding cycle of the mosquitos.

The key is that whatever is used you need to break the breeding cycle to really get a good control over the mosquitos. That is roughly 6 weeks.

BTW, I do NOT know how effective it is, I set the trap up yesterday. Instructions said it will take a couple weeks before I start to see any results.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom