Heavy equipment expert's (specifically skidsteer)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ive got tons of time on a skid steer, but only a Case XT70, and XT90. I ran a JD ? once, and about tore down a building due to the controls. I assumed they all had the same controls as the H pattern Case, and was backing up like I would on a Case looking behind me, and stopped when I felt it getting top heavy. Looked forward and noticed the bucket less than a foot from the truss's.

So on to the point, I'm looking for a used loader. I would love an XT70, but am buying used, and not finding a ton in a reasonable driving distance. Does anyone know of other manufactures (looks like bobcat's are everywhere) that has H pattern controls. Yes I would eventually get accustom to pilot controls, no I don't want to unless I find a hell of a deal. Im mainly looking for other manufactures that use H pattern, but since I know it will come up.

Requirements

15Kish budget
    Less than 2500 hours
    40+ HP
    comes with bucket, or Folks
    H pattern controls.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    some skid steers have a knob u can move to change controls from cat to deer controls.

Ive seen that, but most are newer, and out of my price range.

I know deer has pilot controls, are you saying cat's have H pattern? If so, I can add a brand to my search.

I dont want any foot controls outside of the AUX for a grapple bucket etc.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I will start with the fact that I have very little skid-steer time. My dad has one, know numerous people with them, and have run them a little. 100% of my operator time is in Bobcat's so I don't know what you mean by "H-pattern controls".

That being said, check into Gehl. I've known several people that once they've owned/run a Gehl they say they'll never go back to any other skidsteer. My dad just bought a new-to-him used tracked Gehl, and the big-time excavating company down the road from me has 11 Gehls and 1 Cat; the reason he has a CAT is because he needed a 12th one ASAP and the Gehl dealer couldn't come through for several weeks (must be popular), he wanted it next morning...

ETA, limited google-fu says Gehl comes factory with H-style Case controls but switching some hoses will get you CAT style controls. That means little to me... it's been at least 5 years since I've even sat in one...

Last edited:

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    the newer cats, drive controls on left hand. bucket controls on right hand, no foot controls.

i can a older i think gehl and behind the cab on left side was a level that changed controls from both sided control drive [forward and rear] and and side to side bucket controls. [i dont like]

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    the newer cats, drive controls on left hand. bucket controls on right hand, no foot controls.

Exactly. I would emphasize that this is very easy to pick up for a new user who is used to anything else, as opposed to moving from Case to Bobcat style rowboat and foot pedal controls.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I've got a late model case 1840 and absolutely love it. Only complaint is that it's capacity, it will pick up a 1200-1300 # round bale, wish it would go to a full ton. These skids steers maybe old and not have the creature comforts of new ones but they are bulletproof and easy to work on. Look for a late model 1845, should be some out there with some life left.

Top Bottom