• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Does anyone out in INGO land cut/bale hay or know of anyone that does? We are looking for someone in northwestern boone co to cut our 10 +/- acres of grass. The deal will be very lopsided in favor of the person doing the work as we only need 200 square bales from second cutting. Please PM if interested.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Not sure you will find someone to bale square bales as most folks are doing round bales now. Additionally, most farmers are now way behind in planting due to wet weather. You might consider calling one of the local banks in the area and ask for the ag lender. He would probably know if anyone I. The area does custom baling. Try the North Salem State Bank.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Not sure you will find someone to bale square bales as most folks are doing round bales now. Additionally, most farmers are now way behind in planting due to wet weather. You might consider calling one of the local banks in the area and ask for the ag lender. He would probably know if anyone I. The area does custom baling. Try the North Salem State Bank.

this is our 5th summer harvesting hay and typically they do round for first cutting then square for second. It's a pretty good deal for whoever does the work as they get most of the hay. We started looking for someone around December, then hit the pavement hard in April and still have not found anyone reliable. We may end up buying mower and baler and just do it ourselves.

I never would have thought to ask at a local bank, thanks for the tip.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    so far we've talked to some local farmers, my barber (who seems to know everyone in town), our feed dealer, our horse sitter, the cattle farm down the road, the horse farm down the road, and several ads on craigslist under farm and garden. The feed dealer said we could put a flyer on his bulletin board. Posting it on INGO is sort of a last ditch effort.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    so far we've talked to some local farmers, my barber (who seems to know everyone in town), our feed dealer, our horse sitter, the cattle farm down the road, the horse farm down the road, and several ads on craigslist under farm and garden. The feed dealer said we could put a flyer on his bulletin board. Posting it on INGO is sort of a last ditch effort.

I'm surprised it's been so difficult to find someone. I hope you can!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Horse people still like small square bales. A lot of people still have the equipment do some square bailing for retail sale to people with a a horse or a few.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I'm surprised it's been so difficult to find someone. I hope you can!

we are too. The guy at our local Case dealer was not.

Horse people still like small square bales. A lot of people still have the equipment do some square bailing for retail sale to people with a a horse or a few.

That's our end game; feed her horses through the winter.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    It's a costly thing to get into. I'm really shocked they couldn't point you to anyone. I'm not entirely certain I'd want to spend the money to get nice equipment if you had the mechanical aptitude to fix things on your own. Of course, there is time involved. What about the football coach? I just thought of this but my football coaches would always set us up with farmers to bail hay through the summer to keep us in shape and out of trouble.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I had to look this up. I grew up in Frankfort. That's not too far from you depending on the type of operation. Give Blain Barrett a call. I googled him and all kinds of stuff came up. He's out of Frankfort (Michigantown, really). After my folks moved to west they called him to bail their hay. He does a fantastic job of things.

Otherwise, you've got Crawfordsville Bane Welker west of you. Matt Austin is their service manager but I'd talk to Mike, the service writer. He's a solid dude and if you told him some jarhead sent him, Mike would exhaust efforts. He lives in your neck of the woods. On the other end, Dale Werling has been in the business in Lebanon for over 30 years. He has to know somebody. Also Bane Welker.

And no, I'm not a Bane Welker fanboy. Not by a long stretch.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    It's a costly thing to get into. I'm really shocked they couldn't point you to anyone. I'm not entirely certain I'd want to spend the money to get nice equipment if you had the mechanical aptitude to fix things on your own. Of course, there is time involved. What about the football coach? I just thought of this but my football coaches would always set us up with farmers to bail hay through the summer to keep us in shape and out of trouble.

One guy I talked to said "a lot of guys are getting out of hay, too much hassle". I certainly agree on the hassle. The last thing I want to do is get into the hay business so I don't blame a guy for wanting to get out of it. I don't have the time and I would have to build another barn to store equipment and hay. New equipment is not in the budget but I am fairly handy. There's youtube videos on everything so surely there are some on fixing balers, mowers, etc.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I had to look this up. I grew up in Frankfort. That's not too far from you depending on the type of operation. Give Blain Barrett a call. I googled him and all kinds of stuff came up. He's out of Frankfort (Michigantown, really). After my folks moved to west they called him to bail their hay. He does a fantastic job of things.

Otherwise, you've got Crawfordsville Bane Welker west of you. Matt Austin is their service manager but I'd talk to Mike, the service writer. He's a solid dude and if you told him some jarhead sent him, Mike would exhaust efforts. He lives in your neck of the woods. On the other end, Dale Werling has been in the business in Lebanon for over 30 years. He has to know somebody. Also Bane Welker.

And no, I'm not a Bane Welker fanboy. Not by a long stretch.

Thank you for the info. My persistence is starting to result in some returned calls, so we shall see.

The folks at my local bane welker are nice enough, but I ended up not buying a case ih. I am going to keep calling and knocking on doors until I exhaust all my options. At that point, i'll just bushhog the damn thing and start the search for someone to do second cutting.

Last edited:

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    We finally found someone and are ironing out the details. Who knew getting to know your neighbors would be so fruitful! :-)

I want to throw a big THANK YOU to everyone out in INGO land for your thoughts and ideas!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Glad to hear you found someone receptive to a deal.
    Doing square bales is a real man's job, especially when you do 2K bales in one day, as I have...in the mow.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Glad to hear you found someone receptive to a deal.
    Doing square bales is a real man's job, especially when you do 2K bales in one day, as I have...in the mow.

Nothing like remembering the good old days. In the shape I am in now, I am very thankful to have a baler which produces bales at 30 pounds or so.

Top Bottom