Anybody burn wood, what chainsaw do you use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have an outdoor wood burner and has been cutting wood for over 10 years now.
    I use a Dolmar 7900, but like Husqvarna quite a bit.
    What do you use to cut with?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I cut enough wood to heat a house, but give it way most of the time. I have had many chain saws and am going to stick with my Stihl.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Stihl and Husqvarna here. We heat solely with wood so do a lot of cutting and splitting every year.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I use a Stihl MS460 magnum.
    Bought it new some years ago, and modified it to work even better.
    It's a real cutting machine now, and with different length bars, will cut anything I would ever want.

I replaced the stock muffler with the Stihl dual port muffler (Stihl part# 1128 140 0616) so it breaths better.
    I also removed the limiter caps, re-tuned the carb, and the saw is noticeably more powerful and runs noticeably COOLER.
    I also replaced the stock bar oil pump with the (Stihl part# 1128 640 3250) H.O. Oil pump assembly, because when I used the 28" bar, I felt like I wasn't getting quite enough oil when doing hard cutting.

I learned these mods over on http://www.arboristsite.com/community/

Last edited:

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I cut for myself and a few other folks. Probably about 12 cords a year.
    Deadashrounds.jpg

woodpile.jpg

I like my 20" Johnsered (Husqvarna) for bucking smaller logs and felling trees up to 18" in diameter. A couple years ago I purchased a Stihl MS660 Magnum with a 25" bar and a 36" bar for felling larger diameter trees and bucking big logs. With the 36" bar I can drop most trees with a single back cut. The long bar is also great for cutting off stumps at ground level. The stock MS660 is a horse when it comes to power.

I needed a smaller saw and ended up with a Stihl MS192-TC (tree climbing saw). It is small, light weight and is perfect for limbing downed trees and clearing brush. Although you're not supposed to operate a chainsaw one-handed, the 192 works like a charm in one-handed mode.

As you probably know, a sharp chain and properly maintained saw is more important than brand name. If your saw doesn't drag itself down through the log without having to force the bar, your saw needs attention.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so I don't do a bunch of wood cutting, but am in the market for a chainsaw. I have an old 45cc poulan pro 20" (bought for $20 ata yard sale) but it seems to lack power when cutting logs. I have been looking and it seems Jonsered, poulan are both made by Husqvarna can anyone confirm this and steer me toward a reliable 20" saw that won't be lacking in power?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have a 20" Poulan that I bought from CM. It does a good job cutting whatever I want.

I bought the OG a Stihl 20" Farm Boss. There really is nothing that compares.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm not a wood burner but I use a Stihl saw. The number slips my mind right now.

Compared to the other saw I had(Poulan), the Stihl is a better machine by leaps and bounds.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I just bought a Stihl this fall to deal with lots of dead Ash trees. Has the easy to use chain tensioner, which is great. ALso easy start and works really well. Have a small Homelight for limbs and brush that is light and has worked for over 20 years.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I too use a Stihl especially on the bigger jobs. I do have a 16" craftsman that i limit use to smaller limbs/clean up, basically because its smaller and lighter...and was cheap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a 20" Poulan that I bought from CM. It does a good job cutting whatever I want.

I bought the OG a Stihl 20" Farm Boss. There really is nothing that compares.

I still have the factory Reman Poulan I replaced the one you bought with.It runs and cuts just fine for what we do. If I were any deeper into it a Sthil would be the go to.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have been looking and it seems Jonsered, poulan are both made by Husqvarna can anyone confirm this and steer me toward a reliable 20" saw that won't be lacking in power?

When I pull the chain cover off my Jonsered, it has Husqvarna logos under the covers. It is my understanding that Jonsered is branded for Tractor Supply by Husky. Can't say anything about the Poulan.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Looks like Stihl is the winner. Still is what I use now. Years ago (25 years ago) when I used to cut timber for a living, I used a Stihl. Others used Husquvarna, and Johnsenred.

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    My go to modern saw brand in Husqvarna. I currently have a 359 and 371XP. Covers most al general cutting.

You can't really go wrong with any of the pro model saws from Husqvarna and Stihl. Even most of the homeowner clamshell designs from these manuafacturers can be a good choice for light to medium use. Just make sure to properly mix your fuel with a quality 2-stroke oil.

I am also a collector and have many older saws, primarily McCulloch and Homelite. Love running my Homelite 1050 and 750.

https://youtu.be/XXCpEWqPQoA

Last edited:
    Top Bottom