Retired people! What do you do for health insurance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    This question is not for me. I'm only 31 :):. but my dad will be retiring in about a year and that is his biggest concern. At this point I know he will retire no matter what but I think he and my mom are both pretty nervous about it. My dad wasn't good to himself when he was younger and isn't in the best of health. He has COPD and has had cancer scares for the last 4 years in a row. so any help or suggestions would be great.

I will add that they don't really have any savings. My dad made very good money but they were put in a bad situation about 20 years ago when my sister had a child young and physically abused him. He was shaken and has massive brain damage. As most grandparents would my parents took over and have taken care of him every since and it drained pretty much all they had.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How old is he? Medicare is an option but you really need a supplemental policy. Does he qualify for Healthy Indiana Plan?

: Am I Eligible?

Follow-up question, if they have no money, and health issues, why is he retiring? Perhaps get a job with FedEx/UPS or an airline working 20hrs a week with full benefits.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    he is 61. he has a shop at his house working on mowers and equipment on the side. it does what he needs. I'm not saying they are broke I'm just saying its not like they can spend money whenever they want. at this point he has had enough scares with cancer and spent the last 20 years taking care of everyone else, I believe he would just like to have a little time to enjoy life.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    HIP covers to 64 if his income is low. That link has some eligibility information. there are versions where you have a co-pay and have much better coverage

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'm not retired yet, but I have a plan. I'm going to cut HoosierDocs grass, if I drop over, I think he is obligated to fix me.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm not retired yet, but I have a plan. I'm going to cut HoosierDocs grass, if I drop over, I think he is obligated to fix me.

not true. My home is a free clinic offering breast exams and do not accept medicare, so I'm not bound by EMTALA. I'll drag you to my neighbor's yard and call 911 :):

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The extremely high cost of health insurance means your dad will likely need to wait until he is 65 and gets enrolled in Medicare. Count on the feds screwing that up too. If he is poor and doesn't own his home, your parents might be able to get on HIP or Medicaid and then they can use the worst hospitals in the land for almost nothing. Between the health insurance companies, and the feds, they will make sure your estate left for your children will be worthless and mired in medical debt. The new American Dream is to die in your sleep.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The extremely high cost of health insurance means your dad will likely need to wait until he is 65 and gets enrolled in Medicare. Count on the feds screwing that up too. If he is poor and doesn't own his home, your parents might be able to get on HIP or Medicaid and then they can use the worst hospitals in the land for almost nothing. Between the health insurance companies, and the feds, they will make sure your estate left for your children will be worthless and mired in medical debt. The new American Dream is to die in your sleep.

You can enroll at 62 as I did. That was 5 years ago. Unless the douche bags have changed that as well.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I thought you had to be 65 to be eligible for Medicare (?)

You do normally. The usual age of eligibility for those benefits is 65, although certain people qualify for the program earlier. (Medicare is available to people under age 65 who have been eligible for Social Security disability benefits for at least 24 months or who have end-stage renal disease.)

But fear not....the CBO is looking at saving billions by raising the age to 67.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They need to be honest and raise the age to 73. Then people will realize it for the fraud that it is.

what was life expectancy when it was started? It was 73. Now it's 79. If you make it to 65 you're expected to live to 84.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Medicare A & B + a good (not cheap) supplement plan. Part B and my prescription plan come out of my SS check. Around $110 a month total. The monthly premium on the supplement is $250 & change. Five years ago I had a hip replaced. The bill totaled over $60K. I had to pay $30. I think it was for the TV. "Emergency" gall bladder removal a couple of years ago followed by acute pancreatitis. Two 6-day hospital stays a week apart. Never even saw a bill for either.

If you are approaching Medicare age, I suggest you check your local hospital to see if they have a Medicare counseling program. I joined Senior Promise at St. Francis. They made the maze I perceived Medicare to be quite simple and helped me find the best deal for me.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Also be aware that more and more hospitals and doctors are refusing to accept Medicare or Medicaid. They will send you packing to the state hospital.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Medicare A & B + a good (not cheap) supplement plan. Part B and my prescription plan come out of my SS check. Around $110 a month total. The monthly premium on the supplement is $250 & change. Five years ago I had a hip replaced. The bill totaled over $60K. I had to pay $30. I think it was for the TV. "Emergency" gall bladder removal a couple of years ago followed by acute pancreatitis. Two 6-day hospital stays a week apart. Never even saw a bill for either.

If you are approaching Medicare age, I suggest you check your local hospital to see if they have a Medicare counseling program. I joined Senior Promise at St. Francis. They made the maze I perceived Medicare to be quite simple and helped me find the best deal for me.

Here's what I learned last year, having a supplemental insurance plan is worthless. My father in law had Medicare and Blue Cross, the hospital completely ignored the fact that he had Blue Cross even though they were told multiple times. Everything was Medicare.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    They need to be honest and raise the age to 73. Then people will realize it for the fraud that it is.

what was life expectancy when it was started? It was 73. Now it's 79. If you make it to 65 you're expected to live to 84.

tumblr_mbhkbxr0Zl1qdb4cxo1_r1_500.gif

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Also be aware that more and more hospitals and doctors are refusing to accept Medicare or Medicaid. They will send you packing to the state hospital.

Doctors yes, I'm not familiar with hospitals doing that trend. Mayo Clinic did though. Medicare reimbursement is so awful that they made a decision to not accept it. The patient can still send their bill to Medicare and have Medicare reimburse the patient, but then you still owe the balance of the bill that Medicare does not cover. If the hospital accept Medicare, they agreed to not bill the patient for the remaining balance that Medicare does not pay.

Top Bottom