• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Today my dad was walking our chocolate lab Scout around the neighborhood (same walk as every other day nothing special). About a block from our house a neighbors pit bull mix somehow got loose (they swear it broke the leash but this is NOT the first time their dogs have gotten loose and acted aggressively). The dog then proceeded to bite the hell out of Scout. The pit bull mix had to cross the road to get to Scout and my Dad so it was obviously an extremely aggressive dog. Fortunately my Dad was able to fend off the dog, and scout only had a couple puncture wounds around his right shoulder.

We just got back from the Vet where Scout was pronounced OK and given antibiotics to fight off any infections as the Vet said a dog bite almost always leads to infection since their mouths are very dirty and bacteria filled. When the Vet asked what breed the dog that attacked Scout was he was not surprised it was a pit bull at all and immediately commented that they do not really like other dogs and he was not surprised (he was surprised that Dad did not get bitten).

The dog that attacked Scout is going to be put down and Scouts vet bills paid for so everything is taken care of fortunately. Poor Scout is acting traumatized and is currently resting in the tub for some reason. We have had trouble with pit bulls around the neighborhood before so this is not the first incident unfortunately. I will be contacting the local PD as well to see what levels of force are acceptable in town as I do not want this to ever happen to my dog ever again and I can only imagine what that pit bull would have done to say a small child.

So keep an eye on your surroundings when walking your dogs and be prepared to have a loose dog come at you and your dog. I am thinking of getting a couple of those Kimber Pepper Blasters as they seem like a good "non lethal" option ATM.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Must be the owner. All of the pit bulls my wife and I have met have been extremely friendly.

I'll second. Same experience with one exception. There was a pit bull near my mom's house that was just plain damned mean. Of course, that particular example belonged to a drug dealer. Go figure.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not sure I'm allowed to offer a comment in this thread.

But, I'm glad you, your dad, and your dog are all ok.

I was in a similar situation with my own small dog a few years ago. Unfortunately, I was not carrying. (Don't ask.) If I had been, I would've done my level best to put a bullet in the aggressive dog. If I missed, so be it. But my intent would be to shoot the dog. Not mine; the other one.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Some people should not be allowed to own dogs. I am going to guess some idiot without experience tried to train the dog to be protective or it was a fighting dog that got loose.

I have a Pit and it is 6 years old. And a big baby. I have had him since he was about 6 weeks old. He gets along great with other dogs big and small.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I am glad the offending dog was put down. I wish your pup a speedy recovery.

I love pits. But I am a firm believer in putting down aggressive dogs, pits, poodle's, what ever the breed.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Profiling, I see:):

:rofl:

I'm not sure I'm allowed to offer a comment in this thread.

But, I'm glad you, your dad, and your dog are all ok.

I was in a similar situation with my own small dog a few years ago. Unfortunately, I was not carrying. (Don't ask.) If I had been, I would've done my level best to put a bullet in the aggressive dog. If I missed, so be it. But my intent would be to shoot the dog. Not mine; the other one.

No warning shot for the offending dog? :):

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Carry an expandable batton. I had an ill tempered german shepherd run up on me and my dog while out for a walk. Luckily a swift smack with the batton got it to run away but im fairly certain the cops wouldve been called had the owner been around and im not sure what, if any, trouble that would bring.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In our area most all encounters with Pits are not casual. It is the owners I am sure. For this reason when we see one on the loose it is paid close attention to and authority's are called. Unfortunately Marion county's animal control is understaffed and over worked.
    Friends have pits that are pretty sweet dogs.

We have had more issues with an aggressive German Shepard locally of late than stray pits.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Carry an expandable batton. I had an ill tempered german shepherd run up on me and my dog while out for a walk. Luckily a swift smack with the batton got it to run away but im fairly certain the cops wouldve been called had the owner been around and im not sure what, if any, trouble that would bring.

I don't see how it could bring you any trouble if an aggressive dog closed to a distance within arm's reach before you defended yourself.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Speaking of sticks, I wonder if anything like this has ever happened to an INGO member....

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I don't see how it could bring you any trouble if an aggressive dog closed to a distance within arm's reach before you defended yourself.
    I agree, if a dog is in striking distance and is posing a threat I would have no qualms with striking it.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    And yet another reason why I live in a rural area. I prescribe to the three S rule when it comes to stray animals. Pit bulls, labs, shepherds, cats, raccoons I don't discriminate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom