Along came a spider.....ALWAYS shake your boots and britches first...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Last Monday my little cousin was in from Portland, OR where she decided to take a break from her Trump bashing cronies and hang with her Trump loving cousin for the day...We took the mule out for a spin..I always DEET up because we were heading to the property and the field is pretty growed up now...(I do say "growed" instead of grown in deference to my culture:))...I keep a pair of britches with suspenders up at the little house over a chair to put on when I get there so I am not always getting my town clothes mucked up......We rode the Mule pretty hard and went to both canyons and later that night as I was grilling I noticed a sudden sharp pain on my leg...I assumed (dumb of me) turkey tick slipped through and put some clear nail polish on it...After a week it got worse and bigger and I went to the Immediate Care Center and the Doctor said it was probably a spider bite and gave me some antibiotics....

I don't like spiders and I think I am going to shake my britches before I put them on again.....

One day of antibiotics and it looks a heck of a lot better.....

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Everybody always blames the poor spiders. We twice had doctors tell our neighbors that their ulcerating wound was a brown recluse bite, even though we lived well outside their range. We didn't have a spider problem, we had a lazy doctor problem. If you live south of Indy, though, you might have encountered a recluse. One of their favorite hangouts is clothing stored in outbuildings.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you live sough of Indy, though, you might have encountered a recluse. One of their favorite hangouts is clothing stored in outbuildings.

Kentucky is six miles due east of the farm and 24 miles due south.....I am thinking recluse due to the whole britches thing...BTW every one that comes in the shop that reenacts gives your Naval uniform a big thumbs up...:)

brnreclusemapbw.gif

brown_recluse03.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Had one in the middle of my living room a couple of night ago after I sprayed around the doorways. The insecticide must have motivated it to seek a different hiding place.

SWMBO noticed it first and freaked-out because of its size and appearance (they're a lot scarier than those little tan house spiders that never bother anyone). She insisted that I kill it, of course. Ordinarily I would contract that duty, but I was without options. It took a couple of tries with a wadded paper towel (that bastard was quick!), but I finally evicted him permanently.

Afterward SWMBO asked me about 300,000 times if it was "poisonous" during her post large spider freakout session. There was no way I was going to tell her what it was, so I told her that all spiders are venomous, some are dangerous to people and some aren't, and I'm not an expert on spiders. My avoidance worked because the spider was teats-up daid and in the trash in the garage.

Is there any way to rid a domicile of them and other spiders? We don't have issues with insects, but see a significant number of spiders that are not of the benign variety.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    She insisted that I kill it, of course. Ordinarily I would contract that duty, but I was without options. It took a couple of tries with a wadded paper towel (that bastard was quick!), but I finally evicted him permanently.

I would have thought you would have went Yojimbo on it Rhino....(see 3.19 to 3.30):)

[video=youtube;j0c_1XKJUSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0c_1XKJUSQ[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would have thought you would have went Yojimbo on it Rhino....(see 3.19 to 3.30):)

If missing were an option or I had the luxury of a protracted battle, maybe . . . I did get a nice Condor Parang for Christmas that hasn't tasted blood yet . . .

In this case, honor and the good fight had to take a back seat to an immediate and certain keel. I had a Sig in a retention position just in case . . .

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Everybody always blames the poor spiders. We twice had doctors tell our neighbors that their ulcerating wound was a brown recluse bite, even though we lived well outside their range. We didn't have a spider problem, we had a lazy doctor problem. If you live south of Indy, though, you might have encountered a recluse. One of their favorite hangouts is clothing stored in outbuildings.

Kentucky is six miles due east of the farm and 24 miles due south.....I am thinking recluse due to the whole britches thing...BTW every one that comes in the shop that reenacts gives your Naval uniform a big thumbs up...:)

brnreclusemapbw.gif

brown_recluse03.jpg

I still can't get over all y'all calling them "Brown Recluse Spider"! Sounds kind of hoity toity! As in: Bentley rolls up to Rolls at the stoplight. The back seat passenger of the Bentley rolls down his window and asks the back seat passenger in the Rolls, "Pardon me, have you any Brown Recluse Spiders"?

:facepalm:

Leave it to a bunch of damn YANKEES to make it difficult! Repeat after me; Fiddleback.

Simple enough:xmad:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I still can't get over all y'all calling them "Brown Recluse Spider"! Sounds kind of hoity toity! As in: Bentley rolls up to Rolls at the stoplight. The back seat passenger of the Bentley rolls down his window and asks the back seat passenger in the Rolls, "Pardon me, have you any Brown Recluse Spiders"?

:facepalm:

Leave it to a bunch of damn YANKEES to make it difficult! Repeat after me; Fiddleback.

Simple enough:xmad:

Yeah but "fiddleback" sounds like something fun.....And I did say "growed" instead of "grown"...I mean that's got to count for something right??????:)

But fair enough...

The pain of being a first generation (on Dad's side) Hoosier born within two miles of Kentucky with my family roots in rural South Western Kentucky going back to the 1790's and being called a "Yankee" is hurtful....So...Ahem....Know all ye present that from this day forth I got bit by a "Fiddleback"....

Thanks for straightening me out femurphy....:)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yeah but "fiddleback" sounds like something fun.....:)

But fair enough...

The pain of being a first generation (on Dad's side) Hoosier born within two miles of Kentucky with my family roots in rural South Western Kentucky going back to the 1790's and being called a "Yankee" is so hurtful....Know all ye present that from this day forth I got bit by a "Fiddleback"....

Thanks for straightening me out femurphy....:)

Just tryin' to help a brutha out!:patriot:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you get a brown recluse bite you can tell. The scar stay's for years. Friend has one on his chest. Size of a very large ring size cigar.

Our friend shot a doe deer in bow season. It was late he could only find a small blood trail. Had only a small pocket flashlight. He attempted to trail but could not find the deer. He calls to use my west highland terrier (RIP SId) to trial the deer but I had to work in the am. He said can Chris come over and get the dog. He said he would help me drag it out. Sure I said.

chris is a computer gamer and semi vampire so he shows up with the dog in a polo shirt and jeans in 49 degree weather with a stiff wind. They go into the garage and get the old hunting jacket the shooter uses at times. Out of a dark steel garage waredrobe with the calls and broad heads on the top shelf. Yes about 10 minutes after finding the deer (old sid was a very good blood trail dog)and Chris almost tossing breakfast when it was gutted he got bit hard in the center of the chest. Within 4 hours was in the hospital as he must have had a allergic reaction to the bite. Was kept overnight. Blood pressure very high and pulse racing. They hit him with the stuff for bee stings. In the polo shirt was a brown recluse spider crushed. So it was a confirmed bite. North of martensville Indiana.
    to this day he has a scar. When I saw it the sting looked like a burn just like someone put out a very large cigar on his chest and very slowly put it out.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I don't think I've ever told the story here about the GIGANTIC wolf spider I shot.....in my house (with my trusty old Crossman 760 BB gun). Good lord that thing was YUGE!!! I don't know if wolf spiders are venomous, and spiders don't particularly creep me out, but that thing was a monster, probably 3" across!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Dad always told us to shake your shoes out before you put them on... he was apparently still concerned about the scorpions...

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Dad always told us to shake your shoes out before you put them on... he was apparently still concerned about the scorpions...
    Not just shoes. Found one in my shirt as I was putting it on when I lived in southern Florida. Close call. Kept it in a beer bottle and fed it "palmetto bugs" (cockroaches).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't think I've ever told the story here about the GIGANTIC wolf spider I shot.....in my house (with my trusty old Crossman 760 BB gun). Good lord that thing was YUGE!!! I don't know if wolf spiders are venomous, and spiders don't particularly creep me out, but that thing was a monster, probably 3" across!

As spencer said, Wolf spiders don't pose a threat to humans, and he's right that all spiders pack venom to one extent or another.
    The only two native species in the US that pose a threat to humans are the aforementioned Recluse/Fiddleback and the famed Black Widow, the latte of which does not live in Indiana at all, no matter how much some people claim that it does; the Widow favors warmer climates, namely south of TN or the western states.
    Just count yourself lucky that the other three genuinely dangerous spiders aren't even on our continent.
    Two of those are Australian species: the Redback is about as venomous as our Black Widow, but the other, the Sydney Funnelweb, is extremely venomous.
    The most deadly of all is the Wandering spider of South America, especially Brazil, whose bite is often fatal and terribly painful, and that's before getting into the uncontrolled boners it causes, no laughing matter because even surviving the bite very often leads to impotence.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've learned to shake my trousers out due to an unfortunately experience with a 2" long cricket that decided to sleep in a pair about 25 years ago. Once I had them on and he started moving, I'm not ashamed to admit I screamed like a little girl and danced like Michael Jackson. To this day I now hang clothes on a hook behind my bedroom door and shake vigorously before putting anything on... :):

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Is there any way to rid a domicile of them and other spiders? We don't have issues with insects, but see a significant number of spiders that are not of the benign variety.

Buy a can of this and spray a 1-2 second burst in every major room then leave for a hour or two every month or two. Be sure to take all pets out of the house for a few hours too. It'll kill every spider, fly and most other insects in your place.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Buy a can of this and spray a 1-2 second burst in every major room then leave for a hour or two every month or two. Be sure to take all pets out of the house for a few hours too. It'll kill every spider, fly and most other insects in your place.

That looks . . . effective.

Top Bottom