• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I got an email this morning that I purchased a fidgit spinner. Well, I figured my wife had done it since she was off today. I made an off hand comment to her and she said she did no such thing. So after researching it the package is being shipped to Valparaiso. I have the address. Should I call the police and report it to them? I have changed my relevant passwords so this won't happen again.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I would report it personally, I have had my debit card number stolen a couple times and have a legitimate hatred of people that do this crap.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Where specifically was the package bough? I know it was sent to Valpo, but your local PD may require that you file the report where the actual crime took place.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Report to paypal they should reimburse

U could call valpo police
    Good luck reporting it to the valpo police. I hope they are different than the Anderson sheriff dept. A few years back I had my credit card number used by a woman in Anderson for a on line purchase. I called the Anderson sheriff's dept and told them about it, gave them the woman's shipping address. They got onto me for calling them and told me to pound sand, and not bother then with it. My local sheriff dept was helpful, and filed a report. I got my money back from my credit card co. As far as I know nothing happened to the woman who used my info.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I say, get the package delivery info and go stake out the address. Then scare the little bastage witless when he shows up.
    Three of your friend coming in from four directions hollering, "FREEZE, DIRTBAG!" OUGHT to do the trick.

Had my C/C info get away once. Mazda parts sent to NC. Found the bastards phone number and called his momma.:yesway:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    In my experience police don't care about CC fraud. It's infuriating.

Maybe they see it as a crime against the credit card company (who generally has significant counter-fraud assets) versus a crime against the individual, especially if the CC company makes it good with the individual. I have Citibank, and they are really good at monitoring my account. It's been hit several times over the years, but Citibank has always identified it immediately, before we noticed, and the only thing we were out was some nuisance time waiting in an overnighted new card -- and calling all the autopays.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I say, get the package delivery info and go stake out the address. Then scare the little bastage witless when he shows up.
    Three of your friend coming in from four directions hollering, "FREEZE, DIRTBAG!" OUGHT to do the trick.

Had my C/C info get away once. Mazda parts sent to NC. Found the bastards phone number and called his momma.:yesway:
    . I like this guys idea, maybe even show up with a coroner's tee shirt on.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Was it shipped USPS? Another angle there maybe?

Also the address may be a sham, vacant house or owners on vacation so thief uses it as a convenient delivery point for purloined swag...

Somebody got my debit card info a while back and paid their Netflix. I was reimbursed, but as far as I know nobody ever went to the service address and did any investigation. Yes, infuriating.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Not sure if it still is but a lady from the attorney generals office came to my old criminal justice class and told us paypal is the #1 avenue for ID theft. A lot of the time they order some BS trinket to test out the stolen numbers.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Maybe they see it as a crime against the credit card company (who generally has significant counter-fraud assets) versus a crime against the individual, especially if the CC company makes it good with the individual. I have Citibank, and they are really good at monitoring my account. It's been hit several times over the years, but Citibank has always identified it immediately, before we noticed, and the only thing we were out was some nuisance time waiting in an overnighted new card -- and calling all the autopays.

It's crime against the retailer. It kills small companies. we lost thousands

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy

but... who uses stolen info to buy a fidget spinner :dunno:

Likely a trial purchase to see if they can get away with it. If it goes off without a hitch, standby for a bad experience. Notify Paypal, close the account, notify the CC issuer and close that account, too. We went through an ID theft about 5 years ago and it's not something to trifle with. We didn't lose a penny thanks to Dell Computers getting curious as to why we would order two PCs about an hour apart. The thieving bastards tried to set up a Paypal account and another similar (??) account. They also opened a UPS account which would allow them to reroute deliveries once they were in the UPS tracking system. MAJOR PITA and the wife's CC purchases are still sometimes questioned.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I find credit card and identity theft infuriating. I also find it infuriating how gentle someone who does it would be slapped on the wrist if they were convicted. Getting a conviction on someone utilizing a computer to steal someone's identity or use their credit card would require an enormous amount of time and effort and if local law enforcement were to attempt to investigate and make arrests for these crimes, the backlog would stretch into years within a few weeks, no exaggeration. If someone were to be convicted their sentence would likely consist of probation and perhaps a few hours of community service.

Obtaining the probable cause necessary to get a search warrant would be very difficult, having the address where the fraudulently purchased items are shipped isn't going to be enough. People who do this as well as people who have narcotics shipped through the mail regularly have them sent to a random address, watch the tracking and wait for the package to be delivered then snag it before the homeowner can.

If PC was there and you were to get their computer, someone with the skills to hack and obtain sensitive identity and credit card info isn't going to not have extensive security measures in place to protect their data. People with the skills to hack the hackers aren't going to do it for a cop's wage so it's going to have to go to a contractor, they don't work cheap.

If you can get the data you're still going to have to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that one specific individual utilized that computer, hit the specific buttons, obtained the information then utilized it in a criminal manner. I'd be willing to be the person responsible for the OP's fraudulent charge obtained that info on the dark web and had no hand in obtaining it.

It sucks but that is the reality of it. It also sucks that business owners end up taking it in the pants. The credit card companies do not care about credit card or identity theft and neither do the big retailers. It's a cat & mouse game worth billions of dollars every year and unless we all go back to physically handing cash to another person for everything we buy, it isn't going to stop anytime soon.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    So ebay has essentially locked my account until I reset my password. I am going to wait a few days since there is nothing on there I am in a hurry to buy. Paypal is aware of the situation and I changed my password there and nothing has shown up in my email. I figure the address is for an empty house, and the perp shows up every few days to pick up his ill gotten gains. It was purchased from a Chinese seller.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Likely a trial purchase to see if they can get away with it. If it goes off without a hitch, standby for a bad experience. Notify Paypal, close the account, notify the CC issuer and close that account, too. We went through an ID theft about 5 years ago and it's not something to trifle with. We didn't lose a penny thanks to Dell Computers getting curious as to why we would order two PCs about an hour apart. The thieving bastards tried to set up a Paypal account and another similar (??) account. They also opened a UPS account which would allow them to reroute deliveries once they were in the UPS tracking system. MAJOR PITA and the wife's CC purchases are still sometimes questioned.

This!

Top Bottom