• Do you have Facebook?

• Total voters

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Reading another thread got me wondering. I've never had Facebook, and I doubt I ever will. If I want to talk to someone, they have my number. If they don't have my number, there's a reason.

So, do you have Facebook?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Yep, but I don't really like it.

I don't socialize on it, I don't post anything, I don't upload anything, I don't play games, I don't have ANY personal information listed, everything is set as private as it can get.

The main and almost only reason I have it is because I live in Randolph County. Our county, and Darke Co Ohio where my wife works, do not maintain their respective websites. They don't post any info on their on site, no alerts, almost nothing. They use FB exclusively to spread information and news. Without it you get nothing from around the county. There's been a rash of counterfeit $100 bills in Union City recently. The alerts to businesses and people came from the local police via FB.

My sister recently had a baby as well and puts pictures up there. She and her husband live in Indy and it's the easiest way for her to get pictures to the rest of the family. It's difficult for them to get down here with all they have going on. He's IMPD, she used to be but is a nurse now. I'm sure there are many on here who actually know them both.

My FB consists of:

Wife
    Sister
    Parents
    2 county sheriffs
    2 county HSEM
    2 local PD
    Skywarn
    Ham club
    INGO
    The shooters hangout

FB has gotten so big that everyone is using it and it's easier to share things there than maintain their own web presence. It's a giant privacy sucking black hole, but it's almost a necessary evil to collect local information here.

ETA:
    Here's a perfect example. Take a look at the Randolph Co Sheriff web page. Look in the lower right corner for the news & alerts, notice the dates.
    Sheriff | Randolph County

Now check out their FB page. Still not a lot but much better.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/RandolphCoSheriff/posts/?ref=page_internal

Same thing with RC HSEM

County web page - 2 news/alerts from back in April
    Homeland Security | Randolph County

FB page - 14 alerts for this month
    https://www.facebook.com/randolphhsem/

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Unsure if we can edit polls. I tried... and failed.
    yes i have facebook. Great for keeping up with friends and family back home. Better than phone conversations asking 'how's the weather?'. Nice to see the day to day happening. Sucks to discuss politics. I gave up on serious discussion after last election. I saw it coming, and still got sucked into it. Y'all can watch my 3d prints, my barn falling down, etc... but I'm done trying to convince anyone there that my rights are mine and not yours.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My family is scattered with most in EKY. It is a good way to show them pics of the grandkids. Keep up to date on their doings... etc.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I was in college when Facebook first became a thing, when it was all college kids. Then when 12 year old girls and all the parents starting getting on, I was like, no thanks. I'm out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a FB page. Many many friends etc scattered across the country. Best way to keep track.

I am done with serious political discussion on there. The snowflakes and douche bags are just to much.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a FB page. Many many friends etc scattered across the country. Best way to keep track.

I am done with serious political discussion on there. The snowflakes and douche bags are just to much.
    I stay out of most of that stuff on FB, at least compared to the old days. Kind of like on here. I am getting too old for it I guess. Arguing about entrenched positions doesn't do much good.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I am on FB and am very selective on who I accept friends request from. If you were too good to talk with me when we were in school, do not bother sending me a friends request. Only ones under 18 are nieces and nephews.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    No Facebook here. If my son ever moves away I may take the plunge but he currently talks to me almost daily.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have FB & find the unfollow option keeps the garbage from popping up in my feed, but allows me to check in & see if my left leaning peeps post any family stuff.

Nephew turned me onto Instagram & suggested I keep it only gun related, he's pretty smart. No politics, non gun-nut friends, just lots & lots of new products, funny vids (Love Themanspot & Crispy), & also seeing sweet gun pics (Love Alex Zedra, gun girl, great pics & beautiful).

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Facebook is fine, just don't be an idiot and give them your address and phone number, also use a throwaway email address.

I like it because I can stay in touch with people who are separated by geography.

I also like it because it's a great place to talk politics and news, plus mess with the "snowflakes".

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Back in my day...

Facebook was for new incoming college students to meet people at their new school. I signed up when a college email address was required. Still have and use it, but it's changed quit a bit.

Top Bottom