• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm trying to program a remote key for a 2014 Traverse. I've been using youtube videos, but when I push the button to toggle through the menu options, I never see "RELEARN REMOTE KEY" display.

Any ideas?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Everything I found says this is not possible after the 2011 model year. Dealer or service center must program the keys with a specialized tool. I'm guessing it's a security thing but looks like a $$ grab thing. Or could be both I suppose.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The transponder key itself is trivially easy to program -- I already had to do that.

The keyless remote is proving to be a different story. I don't care about it inherently because I don't mind using the key to unlock the door. The problem is that I have to use the switch in the door the lock the doors if I want the anti-theft system active, but then when I unlock with just the key, it beeps and honks until I get the key into the ignition and start it.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    If I understand what is desired, a previous 09 Gov't Mtrs of mine required the laptop mounted Tech II software for pairing; think that requirement happened before 2011.
    It wasn't until after the fact I discovered up to four remotes could be paired and the tech left one of my then MIA remotes in the system, duh...
    $40? Wish I had been so lucky... In my neck of the woods, once the obligatory shop materials, hazardous material disposal fees, and taxes were factored in at the auto repair shop, the bill approached north of $50.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    2011 up is a Dealer or Locksmith. 3 minutes, $40.00.

UGH!

It's odd that the key will program, but not the remote. You'd think they'd want to hit you on both fronts.

This is an undesirable situation. The vehicle came with a second remote (non-functional, but unknown at the time to me) and only one key. I'm getting some other work done right now and I'm waiting for a manager to come and tell me that they won't program it without charging me.

I might be surprised, though. If I were running this business, I wouldn't charge someone who bought the vehicle from me to program the remote.

If I understand what is desired, a previous 09 Gov't Mtrs of mine required the laptop mounted Tech II software for pairing; think that requirement happened before 2011.
    It wasn't until after the fact I discovered up to four remotes could be paired and the tech left one of my then MIA remotes in the system, duh...
    $40? Wish I had been so lucky... In my neck of the woods, once the obligatory shop materials, hazardous material disposal fees, and taxes were factored in at the auto repair shop, the bill approached north of $50.

$40 is still too much!

UGH!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There might be a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. One of the people who works in the service center just came back and told me that they might be able to pair the remote with the one that actually works and not use the computer, in which case they might not charge me for it. So we'll have to see if they can do it first.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I have programmed my 2015 Impala before. There is a little slot in the center console that the key goes into. Then I think there was some magical button combination to start the programming. I do know that when It was programming the LCD screen said it was and there was a % bar showing how long until complete.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have programmed my 2015 Impala before. There is a little slot in the center console that the key goes into. Then I think there was some magical button combination to start the programming. I do know that when It was programming the LCD screen said it was and there was a % bar showing how long until complete.

Hmmm . . . I don't know if my Traverse has that.

Update: pairing the two remotes was a no-go; computer plugged into the vehicle required.

So I'm a one fob guy for now.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Well if you do decide to proceed at some point, keep in mind there are many new compatible fleabay remote offerings for le$$ and I found whether you have one or four remotes to be programmed, the total programming price seemed to be the same.

Top Bottom